View Full Version : OKC Riverfront / SW Side

venture
10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Okay so we've seen the slow transformation of the river banks on the SW side of town. This is mainly being driven by Dell. There is some dirt moving over there ago, so perhaps they are finally ready to expand again. However, no one else has really go in just yet. One this has to be questioned...

What is the city doing to improve the safety of this neighborhood? Again tonight, another murder about a block south of the Dell facility. About 2-3 months ago there was that murder off of I-44 in the same neighborhood.

I'm all for the city putting money up to get these larger companies in and investing in OKC, but the city - you think - would be doing something to make sure these companies will feel safe. I assume Dell uses rent-a-cops that are probably in their 80s...so I doubt they'll stop anyone. Does anyone else feel concerned about this? Personally it doesn't directly impact me, but we need to keep in mind Dell was being pursued very heavily by Norman. The site where Norman wanted to place Dell is a heck of a lot safer than where they ended up.

The river can be a great thing, but not as long as the city allows these ghettos to continue to exist. Get in and clean them up.

Spartan
10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Poor neighorhoods will always exist. Face it.

Midtowner
10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, doing something about it involves moving those people out. Presumably, this can be done. The land must be called "blighted," the residents kicked out of their homes for "fair market value," and a well connected developer will be given the opportunity to develop the land for a song.

It'll happen, but we'll need something else to jump start development in that area. Perhaps an upscale riverfront residential and retail development is the ticket?

Spartan
10-29-2006, 11:27 PM
The whole river will be developed with mixed-use projects regardless of how the neighorhood half a mile south of there is doin.

Easy180
10-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I think it would be a good start just getting rid of those apts across the street from Dell and not worry about entire neighborhoods...I'm sure Dell wouldn't admit it publicly, but they can't be too happy with their new building sitting next to perhaps the worst apts in the city

Homer
10-30-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm sure the City would like to see a quality affordable housing option made available and possibly relocate the existing residents of Oak Lawn farther away from DELL. That's no quick or easy process.

Crime in that area won't hold off the redevelopment of the river though. Over the next 10 years, it will be THE hot area. There is so much unrealized potential there.

Pete
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I work in one of the 'worst' areas of Los Angeles (run a nonprofit for at-risk kids) and there isn't really a safety issue for our employees.

Why? Because most violence is not random, no matter what the media would like to scare you into believing. The huge percentage happens between people that know each other and often have on-going fueds and/or that start with domestic squabbles.

The simple truth is if you mind your own business and don't go looking for trouble, you are pretty darn safe virtually anywhere in this country.

xpertinfun
10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
From what I had heard years ago was that Dell had originally intended to buy those apartments and demolish them for extra land (and for the obvious reason). Not sure what happened, But I think it may have been a budget issue.

Now it has been said by Dell that this is the highest security facility they have anywhere.

metro
10-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Well said Malibu, also what people forget is that you can't transform a city in weeks or months, it takes many years. It will happen but in time, it will slowly take one development after another until it reaches enough maturity where things will just snowball. You can't just declare an area "blighted" or use eminent domain overnight, these processes take quite a bit of time and the city is working on that if you read the master plans or attend any of the public meetings regarding it. It also takes alot of private investment, which the city cannot control, only assist. I suggest if you want it to move along quickly, you can invest your own money along there to speed up the process otherwise you cant control what private investors will do and when.