View Full Version : Ugggh, Al Eschback

Keith
10-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Gee, I sure wish Big Red Sports and Imports would quit running the commercial with Al Eschback. His whiney voice is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard. Is he as big of a nerd as he sounds and looks? :noldus:

Floating_adrift
10-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Aww heck man - the guy can't help how he sounds and looks.

Midtowner
10-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Definitely a face made for radio.

mranderson
10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Actually, he CAN improve his voice. It is called voice improvement class. Many people that sounded bad have developed really great voices with the class. Every college student should be required to take it... Especially communications students.

Eschback (sp?) needs that class plus needs to start speaking in a much softer voice than the 200db's he speaks with now. The man is much too loud and obnoxious.

Makes me wonder why he left Brooklyn.

Midtowner
10-25-2004, 03:43 PM
His annoying voice is part of his charm. The guy's a local radio success. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

And just FYI, all Communication majors at UCO are required to take voice and diction classes. Except broadcasting majors. But broadcasting majors have to listen to themselves talk quite a bit and are coached if there are any issues, so it's a wash for them. Still, many broadcasting students take voice and diction. If you practice in that class, it's an easy A.

Or at least it was 2 or 3 years ago when I took it.

mranderson
10-25-2004, 03:54 PM
If his voice is "part of his charm," then I know why there is no such thing anymore.

No one knows what it is. An annoying, nasal, loud mouth is NOT charm. It is a disgrace to broadcasting.

When I even SEE the man, I do the same thing as with Bill Clinton. I turn the channel then vomit.

Floating_adrift
10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
My momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say....

:D

mranderson
10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
My momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say....

:D

OOOOO! OOOOOO! I KNOW! ... Then make up something "not nice."

Actually, Keith is correct. Fingernails on a chalkboard. Perfect example. Actually, fingernails on a chalkboard radiating from a speaker ten times larger than the one in the first scene of "Back To The Future." 100 million watts of power and one million db. Now THAT is loud! That is our Al. :Smiley233

Midtowner
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
So don't listen to the guy. Thousands of Oklahomans listen to him and he's obviously popular enough for his restaurant to be succeeding and his radio program to stay on the air.

Yeah, I can't explain it either.

Thankfully, he's far from being the only game in town when it comes to sports radio. I don't mind the guy that much I suppose. I'm probably most upset with the guy after he jumped on the 'ol Stoops to Florida bandwagon a few years ago. That was pathetic.

Keith
10-25-2004, 08:47 PM
I actually did not know that he owned a restaurant until I saw him on the Big Red Sports commercial. So, what kind of a menu does he have? Are his prices inexpensive or are they expensive?

I must agree with Midtowner on one thing here.....Al's face was not meant to be seen....that's why he is in radio. :Smiley208

mranderson
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
I did not know of the place either. All I knew he was a short, dumpy, bearded guy from Brooklyn with a loud mouth and drives a silver Corvette (unless he has his new one already)

By the way. I do not listen to him unless I do not get to the remote fast enough during the commercial... Of course, they can hear him all the way in Cleveland... And I do not mean county. :noldus:

Patrick
10-26-2004, 01:14 AM
I think the reason why he's so popular, is the reason why people love to listen to Bob Barry, even though the man is getting so old, he's starting to make a lot of mistakes in game calling. The reason: tradition! What would Sooner football be without the voice of Bob Barry and Merv Johnson? What would the Oklahoma City Sports Talk community be without the voice of Al Eschback.

Anyways, I also don't like to listen to him, but I'm just trying to point out why so many people like him.

Midtowner
10-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Exactly Patrick. Like the guy or not, he's a part of OU football.

mranderson
10-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Exactly Patrick. Like the guy or not, he's a part of OU football.

Another reason to ship him back to Brooklyn.