View Full Version : Glass Blowing Studio

aboatman
10-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Good Morning,
I am looking for a place in the OKC Metro area to relocate my Glass Blowing Studio.
Needs:
4000 to 8000 sq. feet.
Zoning - Light Industrial
Tall Ceilings
Easy Access to Public
Gallery Space
$100,000 to $200,000

Any one have suggestions?

There are a lot of people talking about public access art studios in the Metro area. A place where artists can set up shop, work and sell their creations. Glass, metal, pottery, stone, wood, paints, the whole gambit of arts and fine crafts. Many states and cities have had great success in this arena.

We have the museum, city arts, the paseo, the plaza, the film, edmond fine arts institute, the norman firehouse. We are not lacking in arts. We need a cohesive force. How to make it happen?

Any solutions?

Thanks,
Andy

Luke
10-27-2006, 09:12 AM
The Paseo would be a good location.

However, I think a studio in Automobile Alley with a big front glass window so passers by could see in would be so cool.

My $.02.

floater
10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Good Morning,
I am looking for a place in the OKC Metro area to relocate my Glass Blowing Studio.
Needs:
4000 to 8000 sq. feet.
Zoning - Light Industrial
Tall Ceilings
Easy Access to Public
Gallery Space
$100,000 to $200,000

Any one have suggestions?

There are a lot of people talking about public access art studios in the Metro area. A place where artists can set up shop, work and sell their creations. Glass, metal, pottery, stone, wood, paints, the whole gambit of arts and fine crafts. Many states and cities have had great success in this arena.

We have the museum, city arts, the paseo, the plaza, the film, edmond fine arts institute, the norman firehouse. We are not lacking in arts. We need a cohesive force. How to make it happen?

Any solutions?

Thanks,
Andy

For the first question, what pops up in my head is somewhere in west downtown around Lee, Shartel, or Western. There you'd be close to the arts quarter and have some industrial space.

For the second, don't we already have the Arts Council and Allied Arts? What exactly are you wanting?

Midtowner
10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
The Paseo would be great.

aboatman
10-27-2006, 09:49 AM
For the second, don't we already have the Arts Council and Allied Arts? What exactly are you wanting?

The Arts Council and Allied Arts, OKCMOA, IAO, OVAC, Universities, Untitled...we have incrediable arts in OKC. Fantastic support for artists. I think a location which would bring together arts, artists, and the public could be next big step for the city.

Check out the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA. Torpedo Factory Art Center (http://www.torpedofactory.org/)

ksearls
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I like the Auto Alley idea. I think the new Film District would be a cool location too. Call me at 235-3515 and I will give you their information. I also bet that Banta would have a nice spot for you.

Kim

metro
10-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah, that's what Allied Arts, Arts Council of OKC, IAO and others are for. I'm with others, west downtown is your best bet, perhaps off Classen.

floater
10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I see, sort of an arts incubator. I thought awhile back that the Hightower building would be a nice place for this type of center, but its structure may not be appropriate for large studios. As an office building for all the arts organizations it may be better.

Maybe if the 10 N Hudson building were renovated, it might offer more room. Otherwise it'd be nice to see art studios on Main surrounding Main Place, the city's offices.

redcup
10-31-2006, 03:02 PM
The old spaghetti warehouse is for sale on Paseo. Not sure what the price is. Someone bought it awhile back and cleaned a lot of stuff out, but never did anything with it and it is now on sale again.