View Full Version : Regressive behavior

okcguy
10-25-2006, 11:17 AM
I just moved this past weekend and have a three and a half year old Chihuahua. Since we live in an apartment and he is very small, he's been trained to go to the bathroom on a puppy pad and never had a problem at the other place. The first thing I did when I brought him to the new apartment was put down his pad and showed him where it was. Well, he's gone on it occasionally, but he's just as likely to pee on my brand new carpet too and it's getting really frustrating to come home and clean up dog pee every day. Any suggestions on how I can break him of this? He's too old for this and knows better any way!

Easy180
10-25-2006, 11:29 AM
We moved last year w/ two min pins and they went inside a few times in the first couple of weeks...They haven't gone inside again in over a year so he should get it down soon

Probably still a little pissed about the move is all

mranderson
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Dogs are just like people. When there is major change, they can stress out. I bet that is what is happening. Yes. You should correct him, but lovingly. He probably does not realize he is doing something you do not want him to do. It is the same as a person eating a lot to release the stress.

Karried
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
aahhh poor baby, probably like Mr Anderson says, he is stressed.

Can you get a 'child' gate and put him in the laundry room or bathroom for a few days when you leave until he gets used to the new environment?

Once the urine goes down to the carpet pad, it will leave an odor and your dog might want to return to those same spots over and over instead of his pad .. something your landlord might not be too happy about when you leave..:kicking:

ChristianConservative
10-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Dogs are just like people. but lovingly.

Dogs don't have emotions, so I don't know what you're talking about.

okcguy
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
aahhh poor baby, probably like Mr Anderson says, he is stressed.

Can you get a 'child' gate and put him in the laundry room or bathroom for a few days when you leave until he gets used to the new environment?

Once the urine goes down to the carpet pad, it will leave an odor and your dog might want to return to those same spots over and over instead of his pad .. something your landlord might not be too happy about when you leave..:kicking:

I think he'd probably be more upset about being gated in than about the move since I've never done that to him before. At age three, he's definitely used to having free reign. I've been home the last day or two, so he's done better. Maybe he's finally getting the hint.

okcguy
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Dogs don't have emotions, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Dogs absolutely have emotions. You can see when they are happy, sad, nervous, angry-these are all emotions and I've seen dogs exhibit all of them.

ChristianConservative
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Dogs absolutely have emotions. You can see when they are happy, sad, nervous, angry-these are all emotions and I've seen dogs exhibit all of them.

How do youknow dogs feel these emotions. Fear and anger are bioligically driven due to the fight or flight reponse. They're not higher cognitive functions. Happy and sad really can't be measured objectively.

Easy180
10-26-2006, 11:42 AM
How do youknow dogs feel these emotions. Fear and anger are bioligically driven due to the fight or flight reponse. They're not higher cognitive functions. Happy and sad really can't be measured objectively.

I know I know...We just have faith that they have emotions :kicking:

mranderson
10-26-2006, 05:20 PM

Yes. They do have emotions. Have you ever seen a dog cry when you leave? And they smile also... They smile very big happy smiles.

ChristianConservative
10-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Nope, it's not emotions mranderson. Dogs yelp when you leave because they're not getting their needs met. Has nothing to do with being sad. And dogs don't smile.

mranderson
10-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Nope, it's not emotions mranderson. Dogs yelp when you leave because they're not getting their needs met. Has nothing to do with being sad. And dogs don't smile.

VERY untrue. Plus, if they do not smile, then what do you think it is from ear to ear? Also. There is a supermarket chain named Williams. They have a store in Chocktaw. Look at the dog calander at the January dog on back, then tell me that is not a smile.

Also. They own Mayfair Market however, I have not seen the calander at that location.

In addition. Look at the book "97 ways to make a Dog smile." If those are not smiles, then I have no idea what they are.

You are quite incorrect. Dogs smile... And they have emotions. No one on the face of this Earth will convince me otherwise.

okcguy
11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm happy to report after much frustration and many lectures to my poor dog and empty threats of balcony overboard, that my Chihuahua has finally seen fit to return back to his potty pads for elimination purposes!:kicking:

mranderson
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm happy to report after much frustration and many lectures to my poor dog and empty threats of balcony overboard, that my Chihuahua has finally seen fit to return back to his potty pads for elimination purposes!:kicking:

See. It was stress. Glad it was solved.

rocket60s
11-08-2006, 12:52 AM

I think that anyone who has ever had a dog they were really close to (kept inside) would disagree with you. Dogs do have emotions & some show them more than others. Sad, happy, scared, etc. Some also have a good sense of humor. They tease you, etc. And one of my dogs will smile & show all her teeth when I come home or when company comes to visit that she likes. They also have a pretty long memory. I have one that will purposely distract the other one by getting my attention or barking like there is a reason just to get whatever it is the other dog has.