View Full Version : Charter school in need

bandnerd
10-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Okay, I rarely do this, but...

As some of you know, I am a band/orchestra director (among other things) at a local college-preparatory charter school. We do not receive much funding for my fine arts programs, and are currently in the middle of a fundraiser.

I expected more help from my parents, but I don't have that many kids involved in band and orchestra yet(the school is only in its 4th year and growing) so my parents are pretty strained as it is.

Our fundraiser is a calendar. On the calendar we will have full-color photos of various organizations at our school including my band and orchestra. The way we make money with this calendar is to sell ad space. I'm sure you've seen a similar calendar somewhere around the OKC area before.

If you own your own business, or you work with a business that is looking for low-cost advertising, this calendar could be for you. Since we are a charter school, the parents who buy the calendar will be spread out all over the city, including Edmond, MWC, and Moore. Everyone who buys an ad will receive a free calendar. The cost of an ad space is $25/month, for every month you decide to purchase an ad.

These are very deserving kids who have participated in these programs with basically nothing for far too long. I just inherited these programs this year, and they have already made great strides for me. My orchestra has its first performance for the school on Friday, and my band will be playing at every home varsity basketball game this season. I have been very demanding of them, and for the most part, they have responded well.

Most of our kids are from low-income families and are trying to set their futures up for success. We will have our first-ever graduating senior class this year, something which we are insanely excited about! I have never worked in such a positive atmosphere, and I'm trying my best to provide for these kids. I'd buy everything they need if my salary allowed.

If you are interested in buying an ad, or simply making a donation (which is tax-deductable and I believe we can provide a form for you if necessary) please contact me via PM here on OKCTalk.

Thank you for reading my shamless self-plug.

bandnerd
10-25-2006, 05:41 AM
bump...if that's allowed.

Midtowner
10-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Reported!