View Full Version : Response to Old Downtownguy, downtownguy

Patrick
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
The following was posted at www.downtownguyokc.blogspot.com (http://www.downtownguyokc.blogspot.com), and I thought I'd respond to it.

At www.okctalk.com (http://www.okctalk.com), there is a high level discussion going on about the board's future. People like Patrick and Keith have given a lot of time, passion and energy to the site, helping make it what it is today.
They're burning out. I understand completely. We start out doing the blogs, the chat boards as a hobby. And we're caught off guard when it becomes a success, when they generate a lot of attention. It happened with the last downtown blog. It's a heartbreaker to drop the hobby others enjoy so much. But you get bogged down, you no longer enjoy what you were once passionate about. I'm not hinting at anything here. I don't think www.okctalk.com (http://www.okctalk.com) is going away. And Doug doesn't need to worry about this site. But you won't find daily blogging here. Keith, Patrick, take a break. Don't let it get to where you hate the hobby. You've done a great job.

That's actually completely wrong. If anything, we're more fired up now about OKCTalk than we've ever been. Our main issue has been time constraints. I'm now in my 3rd year of medical school, and spending 80 hour work weeks at the hospital. Thus, I've simply had less time for my hobbies. That in no way means I'm burned out. And Keith now has a 2nd job at his church, so that cuts into the time he's able to spend here.

Also, as the site grows and more members join, we'll be spending more time on administrative tasks (helping Todd), and less on posts. Also, with an increase in the number of members and activity, we no longer have to risk our moderator status by making the controversial posts. It's a benefit to us, because it allows us to sit back and moderate without appearing too biased. We still post, but within our time limits, and on issues that interest us, instead of in the past, where we had to post on every issue to keep discussion brewing.

And there haven't been any talks about the future of OKCTalk. The only change we've really made is abandoning the contributor model and offering a free forum supported by advertising and the moderators themselves. That's all. We've been able to cut costs by reducing whistles and bells that weren't used on the site, going with a cheaper server, etc. Finding advertisers has been tough, but for the time being, some of the staff are pitching in to pay the bills.

And go easy on the folks at Oklahoma Metropolii (http://www.okmet.org) (successor to the OKC Urban Forums site). They're a nitche site focused on urbanism, you're a community site. Seems to me you can both exist just fine.

I have no problems with their site. We've never had a problem with their site. We only asked them to obey our TOS when they posted here.

Oh, and by the way, has anyone noticed how well things are going downtown? We'll have seven hotels before too long, lots of new housing... and yes, more fun things are coming.

Yup, it's all exciting. I think what's happened is a lot of us have gotten burned out on Randy Hogan and his Lower Bricktown fiasco, and started getting more interested in the other projects around downtown.

The Old Downtown Guy (http://www.blogger.com/profile/10697742) said...
IMO, OKCtalk and, to a lesser extent, OKmet have way too much going on to maintain their quality. There are way to many threads fired up by people running the show trying to get or keep things going. Posts from the moderators start to be one liners with not much thought behind them.

"Less is more."

Again, IMO, the primary reasons your blog was so well visited DTG is that the number of topics was small, of high quality, immediate interest and very focused. People posting didn't tend to drift off into never-never land.

Here is a perfect example of wasted effort, again, IMO, just MO, OK? On OKCtalk, Under the "Health and Fitness" banner you will find this exciting thread started by Patrick.

Fat & Happy or Skinny & Depressed

In my experience as a 3rd year medical student, on my psychiatry rotation I find it common that antidepressants cause weight gain. So, would you rather be happy and fat, or skinny and depressed?

Followed by Keith's response:

"I'd rather be happy and fat, although, I do still exercise to keep some of the weight off. I don't know anybody that would want to be skinny and depressed."

A couple of other people get into the act, but it stuck me as pretty much a non-starter. I could be wrong as well as opinionated, but I don't think I'm very off the mark here. I could go pull a dozen recent threads by other folks that are really lame, but what's the point?

Both these guys, and the other mods as well, try really hard, put a lot of good stuff out there and I'm not picking on any of them, but really . . . Fat and happy or skinny and depressed? Perhaps they just need to give it a rest as you suggest DTG. I have no idea how they keep up with what they do there. They need to get out more.

Well, some threads work, some don't. As mods, we try to keep discussion going. That's our job. Many threads come from suggestions from our members. Others come from our daily activities or encounters with others. For example, the thread on antidepressants and weight gain, actually came from my pscyhiatry rotation.

Sometimes it's hard to predict how successful a thread will be. Some of the threads that have delivered the most participation have been threads I spent the least amount of time preparing.

The original intent of the Health and Fitness Forum was for people to ask medical questions. That still occurs from time to time....I just answered someone's medical question a few weeks ago. But, it's dependent on user posts. Sometimes, when I see a controversial issue from my own medical experiences, I'll use it to start a thread here. Again, some threads work, some don't.

One way to lighten the load would be to cut way back on the number of forums.

We've discussed the number of forums we offer in the past. We've cut some here, and added others. Currently, every forum we have sees activity, at least on a weekly basis. Although our main focus is on city issues, we want OKCTalk to become more diverse in the areas of discussion it offers, and the types of people it attracts from this community. Our Religious forum, politics forums, and Nosebleed section are probably some of our most active forums right now.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/hornetavatar.jpg (http://www.blogger.com/profile/7728311)
Doug Dawg (http://www.blogger.com/profile/7728311) said... Well, there you are DTG & ODTG in the same place! So, perfect place for chiming in, me, YDTG (y=young)! :) Nothing could be finna'! Or, not! :) Wish there were smileys available here!

IMO, both boards are doing nicely. The more established OKCTalk has enough going for it to not be dependent on moderators to keep it going. The revamped (because of its being hacked) OKmet is actually off to a better start with its new software and revised format. Sure, people do get burned out but that's just the way it is. And, sure, sometimes posts/threads are meatless for some but aren't for others. That's cool ... to each, his/her own!

As for me, I'm wanting to do a blog post on the old days of the stockyards ... and I'll be bringing my notepad at 11:30 today to get the straight skivvy from you, ODTG! Hoo-ahh!

And I agree with Doug's post completely.

Karried
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Both these guys, and the other mods as well, try really hard, put a lot of good stuff out there and I'm not picking on any of them, but really . . . Fat and happy or skinny and depressed? Perhaps they just need to give it a rest as you suggest DTG. I have no idea how they keep up with what they do there. They need to get out more.

LOL -agreed.

Is that an old blog? I couldn't find the post.

And where is the discussion here regarding OKCTalk's future?

Patrick
10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
It's the 2nd one on the listing...from Sept. 24th.

Downtown OKC (http://downtownokc.blogspot.com/)

Patrick
10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
And where is the discussion here regarding OKCTalk's future?

I wasn't sure what he was referring to.

Karried
10-24-2006, 04:50 PM
I wish more people would think of interesting topics.. it is hard to think of things to talk about some times. I know I've been guilty of starting some off the wall topics.

With all of our visitors and guests, it would be great if more people chime in.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I wish more people would think of interesting topics.. it is hard to think of things to talk about some times. I know I've been guilty of starting some off the wall topics.

With all of our visitors and guests, it would be great if more people chime in.

LOL! I will agree with Old Downtownguy on one thing.......the topic he mentioned that I started was a little out there. But, you're right Karrie.....sometimes it's tough coming up with topics to discuss. And if you don't come up with new topics, traffic stalls.

If you have any thread ideas and don't want to post them yourself, send me a PM with your idea. I'll start it for you.

Spartan
10-24-2006, 05:05 PM
How could you all be burning out? Spartan's here......

Karried
10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
That's the funny thing Spartan, I don't know what they are talking about..

I don't recall any discussions on burning out.

Luke
10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I think things are going along just fine here.

Pete
10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Since this is all being discussed pubically, I'll add my two cents.

I really like this site and with my limited time, it's my place of choice for OKC news and information.

But... There are far too many forums here. Activity and dialog is what drives message boards and it's spread far too thin IMO.

At this stage of the site's life, I could see a handful of forums -- maybe 5 or 6 -- as the absolutely maximum and ideally only 2 or 3. As it is, I only post on this forum and usually won't even take the trouble to look through the Bricktown board, let alone the dozens of others.

I'm an administrator for SoonersIllustrated.com, the second largest sports site on the Internet. We have tens of thousands registrants and thousands of posts every day. Yet, there are only about 5-6 forums that are active and things hum along there just great. In fact, it's the concentrated activity that gets people hooked in and keeps them coming back.

That's the only change I'd make at this point. Otherwise, I think there are enough good posters to keep driving content w/o the moderators.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
So I guess the question would be, what forums would you keep, and which ones would you axe? I bet you a banana split from Braums that if we axe any, Keith and I get PM's complaining about it for the next 2 weeks! LOL!

Seriously though, I want your input. Let's open up a dialogue here on how we can improve OKCTalk.

Just from my end of things, I'd say our 3 fastest growing forums other than OKC Metro Talk and Bricktown Wired are Politics, Religion and Faith, and the Nosebleed Section. And we could probably consolidate Bricktown Wired back in with Metro Area Talk.

downtownguy
10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Everything was said with love.

Luke
10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
I'd be up for limiting the number of forums too.

1) OKC Talk (local developments, Bricktown included)
2) Politics/Religion
3) Local Events
4) Everything Else

5) ...Maybe a singles board if people actually use it

I always click "New Posts" at the top. I don't go from forum to forum reading posts. Nevertheless, trimming the forums would be a good thing in my opinion.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Everything was said with love.

I know. I wasn't upset. You didn't rip anyone. I just wanted to have an opportunity to reply.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
We use Religion and Politics enough to warrant 2 different forums. And the Nosebleed Forum is the most popular forum probably.

Many of you guys may not realize just how popular those other forums are. Just ask Midtowner and bandnerd. They seem to be king in those areas.

Luke
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Another forum I frequent combine politics and religion. That's why I mentioned that. As for the Nosebleed Forum... what exactly is that?

Patrick
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I think we could consolidate a lot of forums.

1. Maybe combine City Boards and Bricktown Wired back in with Metro Area Talk. I don't think we need all of those individual forums.

2. Combine VIP Forum, OKC Underground, Current Events, etc. into Misc. Forum

3. Just have 1 Sports Forum and 1 Hornets Forum.

4. Food Court and Best and Worst go together.

5. Peanut Butter and Jelly and The Chalkboard could be combined.

6. Axe Health and Fitness, Pets Forum

7. Just have one Art, Lit, Music and Entertainment Forum. We don't need 3 forums.

8. Under Oklahoma Perspective, just have Politics, Faith and Religion, Oklahoma Business, and The Nosebleed Section. The other forums are worthless and could be consolidated with other forums.

----------------
So as a start, these are the forums I propose:

1. Community Center
2. OKC Metro Area Talk
3. Sports Talk
4. Hornets Talk
5. Singles Lounge
6. Classifieds
7. Web Building and Tech Talk
8. Polls
9. Art, Lit, Music and Entertainment
10. School/Children
11. Politics
12. Faith and Religion
13. Business Forum
14. Nosebleed
15. Miscellaneous.

That's at least a start. We currently have over 30 forums. This would cut our number in half.

Thoughts?

Patrick
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Another forum I frequent combine politics and religion. That's why I mentioned that. As for the Nosebleed Forum... what exactly is that?

The Nosebleed Forum is where basically anything is allowed, short of breaking the law. That's where threads are moved that become heated, where members are allowed to duke it out. It's only open to registered members, and the general public doesn't see it. It's really helped our moderating ability.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Some of you guys may not ever leave the City forums, and as such, may not realize the traffic we're currently getting in the other forums. Although Metro Area Talk is still our most popular forum, I'd say recent traffic numbers show Politics and Religion coming up close behind.

Pete
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I think we could consolidate a lot of forums.

1. Maybe combine City Boards and Bricktown Wired back in with Metro Area Talk. I don't think we need all of those individual forums.

2. Combine VIP Forum, OKC Underground, Current Events, etc. into Misc. Forum

3. Just have 1 Sports Forum and 1 Hornets Forum.

4. Food Court and Best and Worst go together.

5. Peanut Butter and Jelly and The Chalkboard could be combined.

6. Axe Health and Fitness, Pets Forum

7. Just have one Art, Lit, Music and Entertainment Forum. We don't need 3 forums.

8. Under Oklahoma Perspective, just have Politics, Faith and Religion, Oklahoma Business, and The Nosebleed Section. The other forums are worthless and could be consolidated with other forums.

1. Combine City boards & all the other city talk forums. Focus on new development, on-going projects, civic promotion, etc.

2. 1 sports board (with emphasis on Hornets). Spin off Hornets-only board when needed.

3. Entertainment, lit., restaurants, etc.

4. Religion & Politics (maybe split these later if warranted)

5. Everything else (open topic).

I'm sure some people will complain as that's always the case with change but this site would benefit from concentrated, on-going discussions rather than a bunch of fractured topics on boards that only get a few responses a day (if that).

Patrick
10-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Please continue the discussion. Positive feedback, critical feedback, and constructive criticism is all helpful.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 08:21 PM
One problem we face now with changing.......

All of the Search engines have our thousands of pages indexed according to the existing format. If we change that, it leads to broken links in search engine searches. We get over 90% of our members from search engines.

Spartan
10-24-2006, 08:34 PM
That's the funny thing Spartan, I don't know what they are talking about..

I don't recall any discussions on burning out.

Well I told you my concerns and what I heard on OKC Hornets Central....there was a very wild rumour going around for sure that someone HAD to share with me...

TStheThird
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't like how you have to click on Edmond and then Edmond XChange or whatever it is. If you keep the City Boards, please make Edmond go straight to the topics. Thanks.

Spartan
10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't think it's too bad. OKC Talk has gotten a lot of suburban activity, so to foster that, you seperate it and make as much of it independant.

Patrick
10-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't like how you have to click on Edmond and then Edmond XChange or whatever it is. If you keep the City Boards, please make Edmond go straight to the topics. Thanks.

Done!

The Old Downtown Guy
10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I think we could consolidate a lot of forums. . . . . . So as a start, these are the forums I propose:

1. Community Center
2. OKC Metro Area Talk
3. Sports Talk
4. Hornets Talk
5. Singles Lounge
6. Classifieds
7. Web Building and Tech Talk
8. Polls
9. Art, Lit, Music and Entertainment
10. School/Children
11. Politics
12. Faith and Religion
13. Business Forum
14. Nosebleed
15. Miscellaneous.

That's at least a start. We currently have over 30 forums. This would cut our number in half.

Thoughts?

I think that makes sense to me Patrick.

I understand from some of the posts that follow yours that there could be some search engine issues, but if the changes improved the quality of the site, wouldn't it be worth it?

My original responce to DTG was one of genuine concern for the quality of the sites and appreciation to the people that obviously devote lots of time to keeping them running. So, any changes that support those ends; I'm in favor of.

It's encouraging to see that as with the financial issues discussions, there is response and action from those that manage the site. Although the few spend lots of time supporting the many, these sites are a very cooperative effort and will remain vibrant as long as that's the case IMO.

Patrick
10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
You might check into this poll:

http://www.okctalk.com/poll-vault/7887-reduce-number-forums.html

The Old Downtown Guy
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Only 90 hits on the thread and a total of 15 votes doesn't seem definitive to me, but if the trend continues or if there is not much more interest in the poll, I'd call it good and go with your ideas Patrick.

Spartan
10-27-2006, 04:26 PM
If I were doing a forum, JUST for one city, it would go something like this...

That City
Off Topic

Two forums...add subforums as YOUR membership's interests warrant...the reason we have so gosh darned many non-topic forums at the other place, like for instance, a science and tech forum, and a cartoon forum, is just to make another one of our admins happy, because he made me happy over something else... Patrick, a word of caution before you try and wrestle other admins here to agree with your reform plan...some, as I've learned, are anti-index changes.

Index real estate is more valuable from a marketing point (you want to market the 'register' page to guests) than having a million forums that only confuse people.

MadMonk
10-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Does anyone just use the "New Posts" link? I don't hang out in any certain forums, but I monitor the new posts daily and check out the ones that interest me.

windowphobe
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I rely on "New Posts". Really.

Luke
10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I use New Posts exclusively. Only when I create a new thread which is rare will I look for specific forum.

Pete
10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
That's a good feature but doesn't it just show the last 10 threads?

If so, you'd have to check it every 15 minutes otherwise you'd be missing tons of posts.

Luke
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
From what I understand "New Posts" show every thread that has been posted indefinitely until I click on it.

Pete
10-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I was looking at the front page not the "new posts" tab.

That is an excellent feature and I appreciate the tip! Sure beats the heck out of going to each forum separately.

However, there seems to be a pretty big drawback by using this feature somewhat exclusively. Your own posts don't cause a thread to go to the top of your "new posts" list.

Pete
10-31-2006, 07:07 AM
I figured out a way around the problem I mentioned with "New Posts".

If you go to "Quick Links" then "Today's Posts" it includes those you have recently viewed and/or posted on.