View Full Version : Solo on a Sunday

y_h
10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
My best friend from OCU Law School and I are rounding up in OKC for a long weekend Nov. 2-5. My buddy has just recently informed me that he's had a scheduling issue come up which is going to require him to take an early flight back to Houston around 8 Sunday morning. My flight back to STL doesn't leave until a little after 6 p.m. Therefore, it looks like I've got practically an entire day to myself in OKC. By the time Sunday rolls around, we'll have been to the memorial, taken in a couple of Blazer games and hit the OCU campus.

I'm curious as to what your suggestions would be regarding how to make the most of my solo time on a Sunday in OKC. Thanks in advance for any ideas you'd care to share.

Midtowner
10-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Check out the art museum (across the street from the OK County Court House).

ChristianConservative
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Hit St. Lukes United Methodist Church for a service, a gem to the Oklahoma City community.

Easy180
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Sports bar that has the NFL Sunday Ticket...I know Louie's has it on Meridian not sure of Emerson Biggins

metro
10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Catch a Hornets game if they're playing that weekend. Make sure you drive around all of downtown and see all the new construction (primarily housing going up). Arts Museum is also a must. Grab a free Gazette and Downtown magazine and that will get you plugged into what's going on that weekend.

ChristianConservative
10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Drive through the NW 23rd and Classen area to get a slice of the culturual offerings OKC has to offer. Take a stop in Paseo to see the many art studios!

Pete
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
If it's a nice day and haven't been to the zoo for a while, that's a great way to spend an afternoon. I've been trying to get back there for a decade now but it never seems to work out.

Also, the Cowboy Hall of Fame is much bigger and grander than before and very worthwhile.

And even though some posters insisted that locating it near the Capitol was better than downtown/Bricktown, it's no coincidence nobody is recommending (let alone thinking about) the huge new Oklahoma History Center. I don't think it's been mentioned here once since we had the big debate after it opened, yet every little mom and pop store, restaurant and duplex in the other areas get extensive updates. In any event, it's new, big and cost $50 million so there must be something to see there.

Patrick
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
I'd definitely say the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is worth a stop. The National Memorial Museum is worth seeing as well. And the Oklahoma City Museum of Art is pretty nice. A stroll through the Myriad Gardens and Crystal Bridge is a must.

metro
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Good mention Malibu, the Oklahoma History Center is a worthwhile visit.