View Full Version : What does it mean to be a Christian?

bandnerd
10-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Pretty self-explanatory question. I know what I think a Christian should be, and what I have been told by those I know. However, I know there are differences, like the whole faith alone vs. faith plus good works debate, between demoninations.

So what does it mean, to you and only you, to be a Christian?

What qualities do you think make a good Christian?

Patrick
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM
I would say being a true Christian involves two requirements:

1. Knowing the Lord Jesus Christ and your personal Saviour, and walking daily in relationship with Him. It's kind of like asking a woman to be your wife...you first have to ask, then to maintain the relationship, you have to walk daily with that person. Same is true with God.

2. Living the Christian life. There are many out there that claim to be Christians, yet don't live a life that testifies to that. These people are what we call hypocrites. They're not Christians at all, but they simply like to go through the motions of being a church-goer and Christ-follower. It's unfortunate because these are the people that do so much damage, turning those away that truly need Christ. At the same time, it's also important to realize though, that true Christians are still human, and will sin from time to time. No one is perfect, and you can't expect a Christian to be perfect either.

In my opinion, do works save you? No. Does asking Christ in your life save you? Depends. If you've really asked genuinely, and Christ has truly changed you, you're going to walk the walk, because faith without works is dead.

Patrick
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM
BTW, thanks bandnerd for starting the great, non-controversial threads. And thanks for steering them and moderating them. You're doing great work and the moderator team appreciates you.

Keith
10-22-2006, 12:54 PM

1. Knowing the Lord Jesus Christ and your personal Saviour, and walking daily in relationship with Him. It's kind of like asking a woman to be your wife...you first have to ask, then to maintain the relationship, you have to walk daily with that person. Same is true with God.

2. Living the Christian life. There are many out there that claim to be Christians, yet don't live a life that testifies to that. These people are what we call hypocrites. They're not Christians at all, but they simply like to go through the motions of being a church-goer and Christ-follower. It's unfortunate because these are the people that do so much damage, turning those away that truly need Christ. At the same time, it's also important to realize though, that true Christians are still human, and will sin from time to time. No one is perfect, and you can't expect a Christian to be perfect either.

In my opinion, do works save you? No. Does asking Christ in your life save you? Depends. If you've really asked genuinely, and Christ has truly changed you, you're going to walk the walk, because faith without works is dead.
I could not have said it better. I feel the exact same way. Thanks, Patrick, for saving me from having to do a lot of typing.

Patrick
10-22-2006, 12:57 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but thought I'd use parts of it here for this thread as well.

I've been through so many trials in my life, that without God, I'm not sure I'd be here writing this today. Some might say that's using God as a crutch, but I see it more as God leading and directing my life. There have been too many times to count when I've been almost sure I was going to take one path in life, but God directed me another way. I look back on those times now, and realize that if it wasn't for God taking me down the unpopular roads at the time, I would never have been able to see all that God had in store for me.

What does it mean to be a Christian? It's means walking daily with the Lord, in a give and take relationship. Knowing that He's there whenever you need Him, and that as long as you walk with Him, He will give you direction in your life, and take you down paths that are far better than you ever could have imagined.

That doesn't mean we should serve God to expect something in return. What it means, is that it's only when you truly surrender your life, giving all of yourself, that you truly experience the fullness of God.

Am I perfect? By no means. But, I try to live a life that's pleasing to God. I'm called to follow Him and try to be more like Him. That's the part that many Christians miss.

What is my purpose in life as a Christian? To follow Christ's example, and serve others. That's exactly why I'm going into the field of medicine, because I want to daily be able to serve those in need. Does that mean I have to wear Christ on my sleeve and cram religion down people's throats? Of course not. That's not the example that Christ gave at all. Christ gave an example of loving others and serving them, regardless of their sin. That's what I intend to do with my life as a physician...serve those in need, by working hard and providing the best medical care for those that are suffering and in need of a healing touch.

The Christian life is not about what you can get. It's about what you can give to others to show God's love to a hurting world.

mranderson
10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
If you believe that a man who was a minister in Biblical days, who went by the name Jesus Christ walked the earth, then you are a Christian. Afterall, what are the first six letters of Christian? Think about that one.

Or another meaning. Quoted by Bruce Greenwood on "St. Elsewhere." "Being a Christian is giving aide and comfort, and not thumping the Bible."

Although I believe in the first one, the second is also accurate.

Midtowner
10-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Mid, Did you find my post disingenuous? Honestly, that very "non-tract" given to me in 1998 changed how I see my spiritual life forever. I went on to read the entire Dan Barker book, "Losing Faith in Faith" and I knew I could no longer claim to be a believer in the God of the Christian bible. BN's original question is the exact question that made me begin to question. I realized, after reading Barker's tract, that I not only could be a "good" Christian, that what I had to accept to call myself a Christian at all - I couldn't honestly believe.

-----

Write, I just said it'll be interesting to see how m treats it. A lot of those quotes looked out of context, and when the article had to stoop to characterizations of quotes rather than quotes themselves, we have another thing entirely.

I don't consider myself to be a Biblical scholar, but m seems to be read up on it. It'll be interesting to see.

writerranger
10-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Write, I just said it'll be interesting to see how m treats it. A lot of those quotes looked out of context, and when the article had to stoop to characterizations of quotes rather than quotes themselves, we have another thing entirely.

I don't consider myself to be a Biblical scholar, but m seems to be read up on it. It'll be interesting to see.

Ahh...I see what you're saying. Patrick moved the post to the Nosebleed Forum, but I am not up to debating the issue at all. To me, it's such a personal thing and I am not interested in changing minds. I have respect for believers and the beliefs that offer them comfort. I know what's right for me, and if someone asks I'll tell them (like I did in this thread) but otherwise, I never feel good debating it.

----------------

Spartan
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't consider myself qualified to become the next pope by any means. I'm probably not even qualified to be on OKC Talk. We all make mistakes, bad judgment, we read situations poorly, we act vendictive, we hurt one another. Why? It is because we are human.

For me being Christian is more than faith in Jesus and schmuckin' it up Jesus-style. As a Catholic, we have to be cognizant that we are all united as a Christian community. The Protestants don't agree with us on some things. That's OK and they are our brothers and sisters none the less. That's probably one of the big aspects...another aspect, much, much more important than even reading the Bible...you have to be able to ask forgiveness and mean it when you do...not to abuse your ability to be forgiven.

It's important also to love your fellow humans...if we truly did we wouldn't worry about terrorism (keep in mind that the Middle East isn't the only terror-ridden area of the world and that Northern Ireland was the hotspot before 9/11) and we would not have to worry about theft and corruption. I think if you simply mean it when you ask for forgiveness (which also implies faith) and treat one another as Jesus would, then Heaven would be a pretty crowded place...

What bugs me is how folks try to get out of Christianity just to try something else like Buddhism (which can coexist actually). But they do that is if Christianity will NOT lead you to "inner harmony". They have not actually tried to implement the teachings of the Bible and of Jesus into their lives.

NE Oasis
10-25-2006, 09:49 AM

Or another meaning. Quoted by Bruce Greenwood on "St. Elsewhere." "Being a Christian is giving aide and comfort, and not thumping the Bible."

Although I believe in the first one, the second is also accurate.

Patrick nailed it! If you follow number one, number two falls into place (AKA Christian growth) mranderson, you are mistaken on your second definition. There are a lot of "good" people in Hell, and others on the way

Easy180
10-25-2006, 10:06 AM
There are a lot of "good" people in Hell, and others on the way

Such a "feel good" statement on a rainy day...Thanks for brightening our day with that

Midtowner
10-26-2006, 08:27 AM
How does anyone presume that he or she knows who goes to hell and who doesn't?

That's absolutely one of the most arrogant beliefs I've ever heard.

Luke
10-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I belive that only God can ultimately judge someone's eternal destiny.

As I mentioned in another thread, there are spiritual attributes that will grow in the hearts of those who claim to be Christians. Those "fruit of the spirit" are: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.

While nobody is perfect, it's safe to say that the Bible points to these fruits as characteristics of followers of Christ.

Unfortunately, Christians today are rarely associated with those characteristics.

Midtowner
10-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Luke, I think you and I are in agreement there. I think the Bible is pretty clear on men deciding how God will judge other men.

Luke
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Luke, I think you and I are in agreement there.

Sweet!

Land mines on the border and God judging souls... That's two!

;)