View Full Version : Laptop microprocessors.....

BricktownGuy
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Can someone please post the answer to my question:

There are so many different processors that Intel has put out. Can someone tell me in order of performance the different processors made by Intel. They are using Pentium M, Pentium D, Intel Core and now even the Intel Core 2. Then, also they are using the names Core Solo and Core Duo... where does that rank?

I have been told to stay away from Celeron because of its typically lower performance, but can someone please tell me in order of performance the different processors for laptops made by Intel?????

Martin
10-20-2006, 01:37 PM
while there may be some overlapping due to various clockspeeds, i'd say from 'slowest' to 'fastest' would be:

pentium m
pentium d
core solo
core duo
core 2 duo

i don't believe the first two are being produced by intel any longer. the last two have two processors on the same die, so while the clockspeed may be slower, there are two processors to crunch numbers... thus speeding up performance. do stay away from celeron. hope that helps! -M

windowphobe
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
The Celeron is pretty much a budget chip, though it does well enough on my four-year-old notebook.

My desktop box is a Pentium D (2.66 GHz).

BricktownGuy
10-21-2006, 03:58 AM
mmm, from the list you gave... can they all have a Centrino option?

Martin
10-21-2006, 07:09 AM
centrino would be available on :

pentium m
core solo
core duo
core2 duo (centrino duo)

like windowphobe said, pentium d is a dual core desktop processor... centrino is a mobile technology that enhances power consumption for laptops. -M

mranderson
10-21-2006, 08:23 AM
while there may be some overlapping due to various clockspeeds, i'd say from 'slowest' to 'fastest' would be:

pentium m
pentium d
core solo
core duo
core 2 duo

i don't believe the first two are being produced by intel any longer. the last two have two processors on the same die, so while the clockspeed may be slower, there are two processors to crunch numbers... thus speeding up performance. do stay away from celeron. hope that helps! -M

Core duo outperfroms the solo. You have it listed as the reverse.

The duo is like having two processors in one, therefore, it allows for more information to pass and quicker. It is recommended for situations where you are doing a lot of video editing, CAD, and other things that take a lot of processor space and RAM.

The "m" series are similar, however, they are specifally for notebooks while the others are for desktops.

(sales esperience at Dell is why I know this)

BricktownGuy
10-21-2006, 08:35 AM
mr anderson, if the Core duo outperfroms the solo.. then mmm has it listed correct as he stated the list was from 'slowest' to 'fastest' .

okcpulse
10-22-2006, 06:52 PM
errr... see I am a bit biased on this. I am an AMD guy. And even though the Intel Core Duo (Conroe Core... imagine the coincidence in that) is in fact the bast performing chip on the market, AMD has a more careful roadmap. Now that they have bought ATI, we will have to see how that plays out performance wise.

BricktownGuy
10-23-2006, 03:25 AM
so, the LAPTOP processors from "slowest" to "fastest" would be the following:

pentium m
core solo
core duo
core 2 duo

cause earlier it was sttated that pentium d is a dual core desktop processor.

IS that right?

mranderson
10-23-2006, 03:34 AM
mr anderson, if the Core duo outperfroms the solo.. then mmm has it listed correct as he stated the list was from 'slowest' to 'fastest' .

I misread the post. Usually things are listed starting with the fastest.

Martin
10-23-2006, 05:58 AM
bricktownguy,
as far as laptop processors, that's how i understand it... it's possible that there's a few laptop motherboards that accept a pentium d, but the chip is made for a desktop and therefore will consume more power... which will translate to shorter battery life between charges. furthermore, i don't believe that pentium m is a current model from intel. any laptop sold with a pentium m is likely 'last years model' so you should expect a cheaper price for a unit sporting one of those. if you've got any more questions, fire away.

-M