View Full Version : Waitress

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Many people dont know but, waitress only get paid $2.13 an hour. If you add that up for every two weeks it isnt that much money. People dont realize that when they leave $2 for a tip on a $20 check thats not paying the bills. We make our money by you (OKC) when we are actually tipped...If you have any comments or questions on how to tip a waitress fill free to comment!
Sincerly,
The ranting waitress

Martin
10-18-2006, 08:16 AM
i'll over-tip for good service and under-tip for bad service. i assume, that 15% is still the standard. in any event, i don't feel that it's my duty to make sure that the waitstaff has enough money to pay their bills.

for everyday fare, i tend not to include sales tax in the calculation... and when i'm at lunch, i typically don't include the $2 glass of tea that i'm drinking, either. some 'upscale' fast-food restaurants and some buffets ask for tips. if i have to stand in line or serve myself... i don't tip. maybe in some ways i'm a cheepskate... but that's how i roll. -M

Deni
10-18-2006, 08:26 AM
there is a great tip sheet CNN/Money: How much to tip (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/)

Midtowner
10-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Generally, I just double the tax and round up.

Occasionally, when a waiter/waitress 'hooks me up,' the cost of the food goes into the tip. For example, a friend and I usually spend about half-an-hour after class at the Deep Deuce grill on Monday nights for football. This weekend, I showed up and ordered my usual diet coke and chips. The waiter pointed us to the free buffet which saved us about $15 in food.

He ended up with a $10.00 tip after getting me a coke and my friend a water.

Otherwise, I'm with m. If the place is self-serve, a buffet, or something like that, a tip is not warranted For Sonic? Absolutely never. I can't see how someone should get paid extra to carry a bag from the restaurant to a car (which is their only job).

Centerback
10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
As a former waiter during college, I was in the same position as you are. I tipped very well then and still do so. I usually tip 20% or more for good to great service, for poor service I tip 15%.

I have heard of possibly making tipping mandatory at 20%. I think this would be a big mistake. It would cause a terrible waiter to still be able to earn 5% more than what is currently customary.

Another thing...when I was a waiter, we were only required by law to report 8% of our sales for tax purposes. So essentially you could make a lot more than that without paying taxes above 8%. I'm not sure if this is still how it works though.

Easy180
10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Usually tip from 15 to 20% unless the service or food sucks

Disagree slightly with midtowner on tipping at Sonic...Cute girl brings it out the change is hers :tiphat:

Pete
10-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I always tip at Sonic, more so if it's especially hot, cold, rainy, etc.

But I absolutely refuse to tip for counter service of any type, other than a attentive bartender.

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Im not talking about fast food restaurants, Im talking about places that go to sit down and eat...its a totally different outcome in that perspective, and besides Sonic pays minimum wage!

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
And I totally agree with you, its just the people that dont get it!!

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
And that is how it should be Centerback, see, you know exactly were Im coming from, buts for everyone else that doesnt understand!!! Im the same way when I go into a restrauant I tip 15% if its ok, and 20%+ if its good or great!
I do agree that it would be a bad idea to have a mandatory 20% tip on the check!!

Deni
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
If you read the definition of tipping it does not mean it's mandatory. I live off my tips, but you will not get worse service if you don't tip for the simple fact is I am proud of my work I do. If you are a waiter or waitress be proud don't expect me to tip you if you give me bad service. I mean would you tip your hairstylist for a bad haircut? I won't.... If the valet wrecked your car or lost it, would you tip them? SO if I am at a resturant and you treat me like a number or make me get my own refill, my tip to you is a little note that says QUIT YOUR JOB!!!! Otherwise since I live on my tips, I tip awesome...

Midtowner
10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Im not talking about fast food restaurants, Im talking about places that go to sit down and eat...its a totally different outcome in that perspective, and besides Sonic pays minimum wage!

It's not my fault the carhop has a crappy job. I was able to do a lot better than that as a commissioned salesperson all through college and HS -- and it wasn't exactly a rocket-science type job either.

If someone is trying to support a household working at Sonic.. well.. I don't know what to tell them except maybe "dee da dee."

metro
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
My view is that you a pay a tip for a service. If a waiter or waitress is average, I give them an average tip, if they are rude or mean, I tip them little or none, if they are above average then tip them a little more. Too often I have found rude or mean waitresses or waiters and some that take way too long 45+ minutes for food. Why would you pay someone a tip for disservice if they are not providing the service you are expecting. I will not pay someone to be rude to me. And I agree with Mid, it's not the patron's fault a wait person is working at a certain establishment, but the workers free choice. Although a decent amount do pay less, many restaurants do not pay at $2.13 an hour but more.

okcguy
10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone. I have been reading on this board for quite awhile now, but have not been moved to post until now. I am a server in Oklahoma City at a Bricktown restaurant and I am constantly appalled at the general tipping habits of Oklahoma residents. It is not uncommon for me to be tipped well under 15 percent on the majority of my tables. I don't think people get it at all. I make absolutely no paycheck. Yes, we are supposedly payed 2.13 an hour, but all of that comes out of my check for taxes. The only money I make to live on is my tips. It is very frustrating when you work hard, try to give the best service you are capable of and still get undertipped on 70 percent of your tables. The saddest part? I find the natives to be the worst tippers. We get quite a few out-of-staters at our restaurant and they generally tip much better than my fellow Oklahomans. I find this disturbing and think it makes us, as Oklahomans, look unsophisticated and cheap. We include at our restaurant a handy tipping chart at the bottom of the check for 15, 18 and 20 percent to make it easier for the guests and at least 70 percent of the time, the tip is under 15 percent. I swear, some times I feel like chasing people out of the place and asking them what their problem is. Ok, I realize I'm brand new and all ready ranting, but people in this city need to be more aware about this tipping thing. Though I would never do it, I can understand why you hear about servers spitting in food and such.

y_h
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
It's not my fault the carhop has a crappy job. I was able to do a lot better than that as a commissioned salesperson all through college and HS -- and it wasn't exactly a rocket-science type job either.

If someone is trying to support a household working at Sonic.. well.. I don't know what to tell them except maybe "dee da dee."

Midtowner, I think what Beckshot was saying was that the Sonic help get minimum wage as opposed to the far lower $2.13 that waitstaff in other restaurants earn and thus there's a presumption (at least by management) that they are not working for tips.

okcguy
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
One other thing: the wait staff at buffet places such as The Golden Corral only make 2.13 as well, so they need to be tipped too.

Karried
10-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Though I would never do it, I can understand why you hear about servers spitting in food and such.

Hi and welcome to the board.. I always tip at least 15-25% depending on service.

I don't get the Sonic tipping though.. why don't they just use drive-throughs?

Anyway, I was wondering how a 'server' would spit in the food after not getting a tip? Usually, dinner is over. But, that is pretty horrifying to think about. I saw the movie Waiting and left the room because it was so gross.

But, I agree that tipping should be anticipated when dining out.. and budgeted in.

okcguy
10-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Karried, often times, these non-tippers are regulars! Yes, they have the gall to return again and again and the waitstaff knows exactly who they are when they return. I've never seen the movie "Waiting" because I heard it was just plain bad, but I've heard of some of the hijinks in the film and it does very rarely happen in real life.

mranderson
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Many people dont know but, waitress only get paid $2.13 an hour. If you add that up for every two weeks it isnt that much money. People dont realize that when they leave $2 for a tip on a $20 check thats not paying the bills. We make our money by you (OKC) when we are actually tipped...If you have any comments or questions on how to tip a waitress fill free to comment!
Sincerly,
The ranting waitress

If I get lousy service, then I do not tip, nor does the waiter or waitress deserve one. If it is good or exceptional service, then I will tip according to how I feel the service was.

T.I.P.: To insure PROPER service. Not, fork it over, buddy.

NE Oasis
10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Karried, often times, these non-tippers are regulars! Yes, they have the gall to return again and again and the waitstaff knows exactly who they are when they return.

In defense of regulars- My Friday lunch treat to myself is a local pizza buffet. Servers maintain my beverage and haul my dirty dishes away. The servers KNOW they will get a 45% tip, and I never have bad service

Luke
10-18-2006, 12:55 PM
This is America. If you are not satisfied with your pay there are several options.

1) Serve your people better in order to earn bigger tips.

2) If there is an outcry from servers, perhaps management should raise the cost of the food in order to pass a higher per hour wage to their servers.

3) Quit and get a better job.

Fact of the matter is, tips are not required. That said, I'll double the tax and round up for average service. If they're good I give 25% or so. Bad? Nothing.

Karried
10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
The thing about tipping is that a lot of times the waitstaff doesn't have control over things like how long it takes to get the food out, how the food is prepared etc.

I don't think they should get penalized for those situations in which they can't control.

One time we went to a Mexican restaurant at Quail Springs Mall. The service was some of the worst I have ever, ever had. We got one basket of chips and salsa for a party of 8 - we waited for our food for nearly an hour. We didn't get refills on our water or drinks.. it was horrible. When the food arrived, it was tepid, the waiter spilled red jello all over my children's chicken fingers, I asked for a condiment, he never brought it.. just on and on.

The manager came by to see how we were doing.. tee hee.. since you asked! I told him all of the above but I mentioned that I didn't want to get our waiter in trouble and that it was apparent that they were short staffed.. long story short, the manager was so apologetic, gave us our dinner free and coupons for return visits.. really made up for it.

We went back again to much improved service and better food. They have really tried hard and now I go there frequently.

okcguy
10-18-2006, 01:24 PM
1) Serve your people better in order to earn bigger tips.

I do my best to give good service to everyone. When I encounter a bad tipper (which is often), it wouldn't matter if I did card tricks, back flips and sat down and spoon fed them...a bad tipper is a bad tipper.

2) If there is an outcry from servers, perhaps management should raise the cost of the food in order to pass a higher per hour wage to their servers.

This will never happen and besides, with all the cheap customers, it would only hurt business in the long run as people would stop eating out because of the high prices.

3) Quit and get a better job.

First of all, waiting tables would be a decent paying job if everyone tipped the minimum of what is customary in America. I hate it when people say to quit and get a better job as some sort of solution to the tipping problem. I have an idea, tip when you eat out! Then I wouldn't need to quit.

You're right, tipping is not required, but fact of the matter is that it is an American custom and you look bad and should feel bad if you don't. No one is saying to tip for bad service, but if it's acceptable, do the right thing and tip at least 15 percent.

John
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Waiters don't automatically deserve 15%. You have to earn it.

They're already getting paid and went into the job knowing what the hourly rate was.

traxx
10-18-2006, 02:26 PM
By definition a gratuity is something extra, a bonus, so it's not required. I'll tip for good service and if it's outstanding I'll overtip but I do not feel obligated to tip. You have to earn it.

I used to have a friend who had waited at several area restaurants over the years and he always felt he had to be the tip police and once even paid my tip because I refused to. That's his problem.

I take exception to waiters or waitresses who want to take it up with me, the customer, about how little their hourly wage is. That's something between the waiter and their employer, they need to leave me out of it because it's not my fault the pay is so low. I hate when the wait staff feels that a tip is obligatory no matter how they do their job.

And now it seems like everyone feels they "deserve" a tip. When my wife gets her hair done they have a tip jar. I've been into several business that have tip jars at the counter when they are already being payed to do a job. I think I'll put a tip jar on my desk and see if my bosses will tip me each time they come into my office.

Waiting tables is kind of like minimum wage, it was never meant to be able to support a family. I hate to sound harsh, but stop whining and get over it.

Luke
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
It ultimately comes down to the fact that tips are not required. And you do have a freedom to look for a job that has an hourly pay that is better than the $2.00 you get.

I agree that people should pay a tip when they get good service. But, at the same time, for every bad tipper out there I can show you a bad waiter.

metro
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
The thing about tipping is that a lot of times the waitstaff doesn't have control over things like how long it takes to get the food out, how the food is prepared etc.

I don't think they should get penalized for those situations in which they can't control.

I see your point but I somewhat disagree. They may not have any control on what goes on or how long it takes in the kitchen. But usually when I find myself waiting 30 - 45 minutes to be acknowledged or to at least take my order (if I haven't already left), I DO think the wait person has a little control over that, especially out of courtesy to if nothing else, at least acknowledge you and say "I'm sorry for your wait, we're understaffed and I'm trying my best". Usually you can't even get that, or at least they could bring you a free appetizer or water, etc. While this doesn't happen frequently, I'd say at least twice a month. I've eaten at several places where the waiter only comes to take your order and then again for your money, no courtesy check up, refills, etc. THAT IS THE WAIT PERSONS PROBLEM.

Martin
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
^
precisely.
while a waiter can't control what goes on, he can control how he handles what goes on. i'll often leave a good tip when a bad situation is handled well. -M

Karried
10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Yes, that's a good point.. it is always better to have an attentive waiter come over and say, 'we are a little busy or short staffed tonight, can I bring you some bread' (or whatever) and at least acknowledge that you are waiting...

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
I see your point but I somewhat disagree. They may not have any control on what goes on or how long it takes in the kitchen. But usually when I find myself waiting 30 - 45 minutes to be acknowledged or to at least take my order (if I haven't already left), I DO think the wait person has a little control over that, especially out of courtesy to if nothing else, at least acknowledge you and say "I'm sorry for your wait, we're understaffed and I'm trying my best". Usually you can't even get that, or at least they could bring you a free appetizer or water, etc. While this doesn't happen frequently, I'd say at least twice a month. I've eaten at several places where the waiter only comes to take your order and then again for your money, no courtesy check up, refills, etc. THAT IS THE WAIT PERSONS PROBLEM.

yes I totally agree about the point of the wait person not coming up to a table and saying I will be right with you...thats just not right. but most everyone is understanding were Im coming from!

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
I totally agree with you, if food is running late or what not thats the servers responsiblity to control that, and say whats going on to the table!

beckshot_2003
10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
It also comes down to the fact to that most college students cant get an 8-5 job, because of school, so ultimately waitressing is almost the way to go...Almost all restaurants that I have worked have worked with me and when I go to school, but when I had an 8-5 job they didnt..

traxx
10-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Beckshot,

First things first. If you forgot something you want to say, use the edit button. People don't like multiple posts from the same user all in a row.

As far as students are concerned, there are several other part time jobs available in retail, grocery store, part time office help, UPS dock worker. There are several more I'm sure, that's just off the top of my head. Some places are going to be easier to work with than others as far as schedules and school are concerned, but you get my point.

I got my MBA while holding down a 40-60 hour per week job. It can be done.

For me, when wait people get upset at me (whether its a friend or someone actually waiting on me or someone else) about how little they get paid and we need to always tip good, it makes me want to tip less or not at all. I guess since tips are gratuitous, I don't like someone telling me I have to do it.

ChristianConservative
10-19-2006, 09:11 AM
In my opinion, I pay my waiter or waitress. That's how I've always looked at it, ever since I served tables many years ago.

BUT, I have to work hard for my money, so I feel servers should have to work hard for theirs. If the service is so bad that my wife and I have to get up and pour our own drinks, I may leave nothing. I'm paying myself in that instance, not the server. If the service is average: 15%. If it is better than average: 20. If it is the best service I've ever had or close to it: 25% or the sky is the limit.

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 09:32 AM
I agree with you 100%!!!

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Traxx, I agree, and most people on this site are getting what I'm trying to say...For instance im in nursing school and I cant have a part time regular job because of clinicals...but its the people that dont get it!!

ChristianConservative
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Problem is, I'm not so sure servers equate bad tips to bad service. When I was in the office and servers got bad tips, they felt it was due to the customer being cheapo! I hope some servers out there realize that they're being paid what they're worth by some customers.

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Conservative,
I totally agree with what your saying...But when I put my uniform on to go to work, I try my best to give the best service I can give. It kills me when I get a table and they have full drinks, there food comes out quick, and they are enjoying the company of the restaurant, and then they only tip 10-12%...Its that kind of thing that really gets me.

BDP
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
By definition a gratuity is something extra, a bonus, so it's not required.

Actually, it's not really extra in every case. Often the restaurants labor costs are 58% cheaper than in any non-tipping industry against the minimum wage. That is factored into the price of your food. Like Conservative said, as the laws are constructed, you are essentially responsible for paying a large portion of the wage for the service. If you get adequate service, i.e. you got what you ordered in a reasonable amount of time, and you don't tip on that, you have stiffed the wait service our of their wage.

A gratuity is defined as something given voluntarily or beyond obligation. In that sense you are correct. But calling it something extra is not accurate when you consider the structure of our minimum wage laws. You still are not obligated to do tip, but if you do not tip you have taken advantage of the lower cost of your food and not paid for your service. The $3.02 maximum tip credit against minimum wage that allows restaurants to pay below minimum wage (and, in turn, sell you food at a lower cost) was designed with a 15% standard gratuity in mind.

Now, if you have a fiscal or ideological problem with the minimum wage, that’s understandable, but it is a little unfair to take that out on the only sector where an exception is made. I’m not saying that 15% should be automatic, but I don’t think they have to go beyond the call to earn that. If they do go beyond the call, then I think something extra is warranted above the 15% model.

Personally, I loved what the John Lithgow character in 3rd Rock from the Sun did one time. At the beginning of the meal he set out the waiter’s tip in one dollar bills. Every time they did something right he added to that pile, every time they messed up he took away from that pile. Basically, that’s how I approach it in a theoretical sense. It would actually be great if I could pay my employees using that model. :)

lcd1712
10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Before I get in the topic:
Conservative your "...I and my wife "shacked up"... It was a good financial situation at the time... - from our very own Midtowner, a devout Catholic" quote line...very funny.

Have you guys watched Steve Buschemi on Reservoirs Dogs? That how I feel abou tipping.

Also, percentage system for tipping sucks! Waiters shouldn't complain about percentage. If I go to an upscale high priced restaurant and spend, let's say $80 on a dinner for two and tipped 20%, that is $16 to the waiter/waitress. If I go to a regular mexican restaurant and spend $40 for the same dinner for two, the waiter will get only $8.

Assuming I receive a comparable good service in both restaurants, why would the high priced food restaurant waiter/waitress get more on tips than the other? I am already paying for the "ambiance" and stuff in the price of the food!

On the other hand, if I spend $6 at lunch, and leave $1 tip (that is around 17% which is still good), I'll bet the waiter/waitress think I am under tipping

After saying all these, I usually tip 20% on the total after taxes on an average to good service. I don't tip more unless there is an exceptional service.

Bottom Line, you should go to a restaurant and expect good service. It should be the restaurant's obligation to ensure you have a good experience, regardless of how much you tip. It shouldn't be a social obligation to tip, but that's how it feels sometimes.

lcd1712
10-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Personally, I loved what the John Lithgow character in 3rd Rock from the Sun did one time. At the beginning of the meal he set out the waiter’s tip in one dollar bills. Every time they did something right he added to that pile, every time they messed up he took away from that pile. Basically, that’s how I approach it in a theoretical sense. It would actually be great if I could pay my employees using that model. :)

BDP, It's so funny you mentioned this. One time, I was with a friend at TGI's. We ate, drank and had a good time for a while, and service was adequate. After paying and a leaving a fair tip, we decided we wanted to keep drinking. It took a long time for the waitress just to check if we were doing well since we were still sitting at the table. After she approached again (i am not sure if we had to call her or she came by herself) we ordered more drinks. After the first round, she dissapeared again. We even had to ask another waiter nearby for drinks. We easily spent an extra hour and half drinking but everything after we paid the first time went downhill, so for everytime we were upset at something we started taking a dollar out of her tip pile. Probably the total bill was somewhere around 40s and I guess she ended up with $3.

traxx
10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Well then they should change the terminology BDP. Look up the definition of gratuity. Example: people complain about gratuitous violence in movies. It's violence that can be done without, too much, more than needed, extra.

bandnerd
10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Gratuitous sex in movies...

BDP
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Bottom Line, you should go to a restaurant and expect good service. It should be the restaurant's obligation to ensure you have a good experience, regardless of how much you tip. It shouldn't be a social obligation to tip, but that's how it feels sometimes.

Right, but that is not how it is structured. YOU pay for the service. The restaurant pays their taxes. That's it. Basically, you're saying we should get rid of the maximum tip credit and make service the restaurant’s cost instead if yours, since service is ultimately their responsibility. That would actually be very nice, imo.

Also, percentage system for tipping sucks! Waiters shouldn't complain about percentage.

That's a good point. Though I generally get better service at upscale restaurants and therefore don't mind the extra cost for the service. They are also held to a higher standard because of the extra cost involved. Maybe people shouldn't bitch about crappy service at the $6 Mexican restaurant, because you're not paying jack for it even if you tip customarily.

Look up the definition of gratuity.

I did and I gave it to: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service.

But if you think gratuitous and gratuity mean the same thing, then I can see your confusion and from where your opinion of tipping comes. While they’re derived from similar Latin words, gratuitous actually means unearned, or not called for by the circumstances. I guess if you think that's what gratuity means, then I can see the source of your disgruntlement, since tips would then always be unearned. To you, gratuities are often gratuitous. But I guess if someone doesn't provide a gratuity for the service they received, that that service becomes gratuitous.

davido
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Here is my opinion, if you aren't making any money in your job get another one, I have a friend that makes up to 300 a night on tips, so the money is there. if my job was keeping me in the poor house and I had to scrounge to make ends meet then I would be out faster than dracula at sunrise. If the resturant wants to cheat you by paying you 2.13 an hour then something need to be done about it, your still working like someone else at a entry level job and you should be paid as such.

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Before I get in the topic:
Conservative your "...I and my wife "shacked up"... It was a good financial situation at the time... - from our very own Midtowner, a devout Catholic" quote line...very funny.

Have you guys watched Steve Buschemi on Reservoirs Dogs? That how I feel abou tipping.

Also, percentage system for tipping sucks! Waiters shouldn't complain about percentage. If I go to an upscale high priced restaurant and spend, let's say $80 on a dinner for two and tipped 20%, that is $16 to the waiter/waitress. If I go to a regular mexican restaurant and spend $40 for the same dinner for two, the waiter will get only $8.

Assuming I receive a comparable good service in both restaurants, why would the high priced food restaurant waiter/waitress get more on tips than the other? I am already paying for the "ambiance" and stuff in the price of the food!

On the other hand, if I spend $6 at lunch, and leave $1 tip (that is around 17% which is still good), I'll bet the waiter/waitress think I am under tipping

After saying all these, I usually tip 20% on the total after taxes on an average to good service. I don't tip more unless there is an exceptional service.

ICD, I agree with you on the tipping...waitresses/waiters get paid on what service they give!!! Its the people that dont get that and think that we get paid minimum wage (which we dont) and then on top of that we have to tip out a certain percentage every night!! Its everyone else that doesnt get it!!! Great service=great tip, Bad service=bad tip!

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
BDP, I agree with what you are saying, a tip is supposed to be earned not handed to you!

bandnerd
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
People are stingy. They probably watch that Rachael Ray show where she travels to different cities looking for good deals. She tips about 4% everywhere. Of course you can eat for $40/day if you only tip $0.50 everywhere.

I personally just double the tax and round up if it was average service, and I'll tack on a few extra if the service is good. When I used to frequent Hudson's in MWC with some friends of mine, we'd just double the amount on the ticket because it would be about a $7 check. That waitress was amazing, always knew our order, and was supporting two kids on her own. We always tipped her well because she worked so hard for a table that wouldn't normally bring her much money.

But like someone said about regulars--if the waitstaff knows you're going to tip well, then you get better service.

At nicer restaurants, I'll tip quite a bit, knowing that sometimes it's more difficult to deal with the snootier people who make lots of money than it is to deal with normal poor people like me lol. My brother in law worked at Red Rock for years and was once stiffed on a $500 check. And he was an amazing waiter. He trained the other waiters, so he definitely knew what he was doing.

beckshot_2003
10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
People are stingy. They probably watch that Rachael Ray show where she travels to different cities looking for good deals. She tips about 4% everywhere. Of course you can eat for $40/day if you only tip $0.50 everywhere.

I personally just double the tax and round up if it was average service, and I'll tack on a few extra if the service is good. When I used to frequent Hudson's in MWC with some friends of mine, we'd just double the amount on the ticket because it would be about a $7 check. That waitress was amazing, always knew our order, and was supporting two kids on her own. We always tipped her well because she worked so hard for a table that wouldn't normally bring her much money.

But like someone said about regulars--if the waitstaff knows you're going to tip well, then you get better service.

At nicer restaurants, I'll tip quite a bit, knowing that sometimes it's more difficult to deal with the snootier people who make lots of money than it is to deal with normal poor people like me lol. My brother in law worked at Red Rock for years and was once stiffed on a $500 check. And he was an amazing waiter. He trained the other waiters, so he definitely knew what he was doing.

BandNerd, I feel the same way! Im actually a waitress at one of the Charleston's restaurants. Same kind of people!!

TomGirl
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
It has to be obvious and intentional bad service and in no doubt the server's fault for me to leave a bad tip. I was a waitress for a couple of years in my early twenties and know there are circumstances that can happen that may leave a customer thinking they had a lousy waiter. The MAIN reason I always leave a better than average tip is because I know there are people, many people, more than you could possibly imagine, that would look for any reason to leave a small tip, if any. This, to me, is cheap and hateful and I would hate to be like that. Servers are real people with families and unexpected hardships just like the rest of us, therefore, if I leave a larger tip, then, with a little hope, there are a few of us out there that are willing to help take up the slack.

Keith
10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
I believe in tipping at least 15%, if the service is good. I patronize the same restaurants quite a bit, so I usually get good service. If they are helpful, have a good attitude, and a good smile, then they will get a tip.

As far as Sonic goes.......I am there at least 3-5 times a week. If the car hop is very pleasant and has a smile, I normally tip them, even if I am just getting a Route 44 drink.

Now most (if not all) Sonics have made it convenient to purchase your food by using a credit/debit card, so some patrons feel that takes them off the hook and that they don't have to tip. Anytime I use my debit card to buy from Sonic, I always have a little cash so I can give a tip...if it is warranted. However, if I go through a drive thru then I will not give them a tip. The ones deserving the tips are the ones that come out in any type of weather and deliver your food.

I have been at Sonic when the Oklahoma wind was so strong you couldn't hardly stand up, I have been there when it was pouring down rain, and I have been there when the temperatures were below freezing and the wind was blowing. In my opinion, anybody working in that type of weather deserves a tip.

Karried
10-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Off the subject just a bit, but we have this same exact discussion on a few Cruise message boards that I'm involved with.. tipping is such a touchy subject.. on a cruise ship it is almost mandated that you tip $10 bucks a day per person ( usually adds up to about $300 bucks) they put it on your Sign and Sail card and you have to go to the purser's desk to remove the tip if you feel the service was subpar.. of course, I've never done that.. I love the staff - if you want service beyond belief, this is the way to travel. They are so attentive and work so hard.. we usually tip more than the recommended amount.

okcguy
10-19-2006, 10:36 PM
It has to be obvious and intentional bad service and in no doubt the server's fault for me to leave a bad tip. I was a waitress for a couple of years in my early twenties and know there are circumstances that can happen that may leave a customer thinking they had a lousy waiter. The MAIN reason I always leave a better than average tip is because I know there are people, many people, more than you could possibly imagine, that would look for any reason to leave a small tip, if any. This, to me, is cheap and hateful and I would hate to be like that. Servers are real people with families and unexpected hardships just like the rest of us, therefore, if I leave a larger tip, then, with a little hope, there are a few of us out there that are willing to help take up the slack.

Thank you for that comment. As I am a waiter, you are exactly the kind of customer that keeps me from losing hope in mankind. So many people are absolutely horrible to wait on: arrogant, sense of entitlement, treat their server like they are not even human. I'm there to give the customer good service, not to be their personal b**ch.

Lauri101
10-20-2006, 08:47 AM
I consider myself an above average tipper,mainly because, like others, I did some table-waiting in my youth. Normally, I give 20%, but I've given as much as 30% for extraordinary service or special attention. Golden Corral and Sonic employees get the same percentage.
If I'm not going to leave a tip, I'm going to let the manager know why so she/he can deal with the employee. Those moments are rare.

Deni
10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
for those that are telling waiters and watresses to go get better jobs, how are you going to get served when you go to a resturant???? The ones that are telling you to get a different job prolly is the one that don't tip.
However for the servers that expect a tip for any kind of service you provide is BS. You earn tips, just like I do in my business. But I never give my bigger tippers better service thanmy nontippers, because I am proud of the work I do and I don't want them going to others and telling people I was either rude or gave them bad service.