View Full Version : OKC or Tulsa for new business

anon-e-mouse
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I am wrapping up funding for a new business venture and would like some view points on whether I should base my business out of Tulsa or OKC. For the most part it is a service related business in the real estate industry and will cover the whole state so the local market does not weigh heavily in making my decision.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Patrick
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
If it's going to cover the entire state, you probably want something centrally located. And you probably don't want to pay a toll everytime you leave your city. So I guess Tulsa is out. Also, you may face state legal issues from time to time, so choosing a location close to the capitol building and state offices might be better.

ETL
10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Moore is booming in the real estate industry!

Spartan
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Uhhhhh... as a Moron myself (someone who lives in Moore)... no. Tulsa is the nicer city by far, but again, if you're covering the whole state, go with OKC.

Plus it actually is better to do business here than in Tulsa.

John
10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Oklahoma Real Estate Commission

Shepherd Mall
2401 N.W. 23rd Street, Suite 18
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73107

That help?

metro
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree, OKC is centrally located, better business climate and better access to the Capitol if you ever need legal help. Better airport if you ever need to travel for business. Better highway access in all 4 directions to multiple other cities and states. Thus allowing quicker access to your clients across all parts of the state. More to do in the core of the city. NBA franchise to entertain clients. Real Estate Commission, bigger housing market etc. etc.

In_Tulsa
10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Of course TULSA :Lies:

metro
10-18-2006, 04:45 PM
In Tulsa, why do you say I lie? You didn't even give one reason for why he should go to Tulsa. All of my points are factual.

Spartan
10-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I actually think Tulsa has a little bit better housing market, and the downtown thing is a matter of opinion. I'm a Tulsan at heart, so that's where I side on that. But all other reasons stand true--especially the business climate.

Metro I think he was joking... but I may be wrong.

In_Tulsa
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Metro :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: full of :Lies: and nothing but:Lies:

Swake2
10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I think the business climate has had a definite reversal in the last 12-18 months. And how exactly does OKC have better air access? It's nearly identical. Besides, Tulsa is just much cooler.

writerranger
10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree, OKC is centrally located, better business climate and better access to the Capitol if you ever need legal help. Better airport if you ever need to travel for business. Better highway access in all 4 directions to multiple other cities and states. Thus allowing quicker access to your clients across all parts of the state. More to do in the core of the city. NBA franchise to entertain clients. Real Estate Commission, bigger housing market etc. etc.

There you go. I think Metro laid out a good case for Oklahoma City.

-----------------

Spartan
10-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Metro :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: :Lies: full of :Lies: and nothing but:Lies:

I think that's the title of Al Franken's next book... :053:

Easy180
10-19-2006, 08:04 AM
swake...Lived in Tulsa and I would hardly label it as cool...It's prettier up there with actual hills and such, but it's not exactly the place to be

But either way I doubt the biggest factor for deciding where to place a new business is how cool the city is

ChristianConservative
10-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Oklahoma City for the items already mentioned. Larger City. Real Estate commission is here. State offices and capitol complex are here. Easier access to all parts of the state. Not surrounded by toll roads.

BDP
10-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Tulsa is just much cooler.

Not really. I think Oklahoma City has a lot more going on. I don't think it's relevant to the topic of the thread, but it seems that in terms of point to point comparison in coolness, Oklahoma City is at least equal to Tulsa in just about every way, except maybe Cain's Ballroom and the topography. For every place considered to be "cool" by Tulsans there is an equal in Oklahoma City. Having gone out to shows and art events in both cities, I'd also say that Oklahoma City's are usually bigger and better attended by “cooler” individuals. It seems Oklahoma City is also adding more cool stuff at a much faster rate than Tulsa.

In any event, both could stand to be a lot cooler. Neither is cool enough to be "much cooler" than anywhere else, to be honest. One thing I do know is that Oklahoma City is much cooler than itself was 10 years ago. I don’t know if I can say the same for Tulsa. I do think it is starting to pick up, though. I agree that in the last year or so, Tulsa seems to be rebounding a bit.

Easy180
10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
:Lies:

Just wanted to do that for In Tulsa...He/She seems to be running a little slow today on the smilies

Easy180
10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Man I just jumped the gun by a few minutes

Sorry In Tulsa!!

jbrown84
10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Not really. I think Oklahoma City has a lot more going on. I don't think it's relevant to the topic of the thread, but it seems that in terms of point to point comparison in coolness, Oklahoma City is at least equal to Tulsa in just about every way, except maybe Cain's Ballroom and the topography. For every place considered to be "cool" by Tulsans there is an equal in Oklahoma City. Having gone out to shows and art events in both cities, I'd also say that Oklahoma City's are usually bigger and better attended by “cooler” individuals. It seems Oklahoma City is also adding more cool stuff at a much faster rate than Tulsa.

In any event, both could stand to be a lot cooler. Neither is cool enough to be "much cooler" than anywhere else, to be honest. One thing I do know is that Oklahoma City is much cooler than itself was 10 years ago. I don’t know if I can say the same for Tulsa. I do think it is starting to pick up, though. I agree that in the last year or so, Tulsa seems to be rebounding a bit.

New record for the most uses of "cool" and it's derivisions. I agree with you though. And whoever said they would argue that Tulsa has more to do in the downtown core, I give you this. I was there, downtown on a weekend. Every single restaurant was closed at 6:00. Downtown was dead. I was there later that night after dark and it was scarier than London, D.C., or San Francisco at night. Streets were dark, hobo's were following us around (we were trying to take pictures). So we left.

Easy180
10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Patrick...Maybe you should create a smilies only forum for the more intense threads

Just a thought

BDP
10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
New record for the most uses of "cool" and it's derivisions.

Very cool, although I bet someone on a Tulsa board has a cooler record than me. :( It probably has something to do with hills. ;)

What a bunch of babies

LOL! Oklahoma City posters offer concrete examples of the city's advantages in services and resources. Tulsa posters call us babies and claim they are "cooler".

Classic.

John
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Tulsa posters call us babies and claim they are "cooler".

Don't forget, they have hills! :rolleyes:

Swake2
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM

Chill!

It was a friggin' joke.

It's not cool to be so thin skinned kids......