View Full Version : New downtown boulevard...

Pages : [1] 2

BG918
10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
In a few years time Oklahoma City will have a new boulevard cutting straight through south downtown, where I-40 currently runs. There is talk to develop the under-utilized areas south of this new blvd. but little talk about developing the blvd. itself. This will be a major throughfare through downtown and could be where the retail Bricktown promised (but failed to produce) should eventually go.

I could see department stores and various retail shops and restaurants along this new landscaped avenue with everything fronting extra wide sidewalks on both sides around where the road will pass the Ford Center and on the southside of Bricktown. This is a golden opportunity to "redevelop" Lower Bricktown so that buildings occupy the current surface lots fronting I-40. What kinds of businesses/developments would you like to see along the downtown blvd., and what should it be called?

Rendering showing the relocated (and below grade) I-40 and the new blvd. through downtown
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/i40-okc/pictures/new-i40.jpg

John
10-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Renaissance Boulevard

mranderson
10-16-2006, 03:45 AM
Either Patience Latting Parkway or Centennial Parkway.

plmccordj
10-16-2006, 05:09 AM
I never see any images on the East side. Is the East end going to connect at the Dallas Junction? I am seeing piles of dirt appearing on the South side of the freeway on the South West corner of the Dallas junction.

Paul

Doug Loudenback
10-16-2006, 05:32 AM
BG918, that's the best image I've seen of the downtown realignment of I-40. Where did you find it?

metro
10-16-2006, 09:29 AM
There is also another thread on this topic, if you're interested you can find more information there.

Midtowner
10-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Either "Garth Brooks" or "Toby Keith" Boulevard would be a great name for this stretch..

Or the best of both worlds: "Garth Toby Boulevard."

ChristianConservative
10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up. Knowing the way we develop things downtown now, I'm afraid it might become another Memorial Rd.

Pete
10-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I believe that there is still no funding in place for this project... That they decided to go forward with the interstate realignment while still being a little short on money, hoping to raise it as time passes.

And I know the boulevard was the last phase of the project, so I'm worried it will be done poorly and cheaply and may represent a big missed opportunity to do things right.

BG918
10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
^ That could happen, and that is why the city needs to make it one of their top priorities. I like something simple for a name, like Central Blvd. or something to that effect.

mranderson
10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Either "Garth Brooks" or "Toby Keith" Boulevard would be a great name for this stretch..

Or the best of both worlds: "Garth Toby Boulevard."

Ask our very own Keith what kind of person Toby Keith is, then decide. Although they did not know each other well, they graduated high school together. Plus, there are already Toby Keith and Garth Brooks Blvd's. In Moore and Yukon respectively, however, they exist.

Central is already the name of a street in the southeast part of town in the southside slums.

I have been saying for years that our only woman Mayor and the first woman ever elected Mayor of a major city, has been neglected. She should be honored in a bigger way than a bust in city hall and a block long street. So, I chose Patience Latting Parkway. Or, since the project will be near the centennial of our state, Centennial Parkway.

ChristianConservative
10-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Bricktown Expressway.

John
10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
While I'm one of the biggest supporters of all of the Centennial events/happenings around the state, I think too many things are being named Centennial.

Plus, the Centennial Expressway is pretty much right next to this new boulevard. Little confusing, I would think.

mranderson
10-16-2006, 08:28 PM
While I'm one of the biggest supporters of all of the Centennial events/happenings around the state, I think too many things are being named Centennial.

Plus, the Centennial Expressway is pretty much right next to this new boulevard. Little confusing, I would think.

That is a name that is not really used. Plus freeways should be named for the cities to which they travel, such as the Yukon Freeway (for example).

Plus. I do not know of hardly anything being named Centennial.

Popsy
10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I think the south side of the new boulevard would be perfect for Taj and Cordish to come in and build what they planned to build when they lost the bid for lower Bricktown. Of course, once they are ready to start Hogan will need to come and file a cry baby lawsuit to put all current plans on hold for three years. Once it is finally built (as likely to happen as it was years ago) then maybe all the malcontents that run rampant on this board can STFU.

bandnerd
10-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I second Renaissance Boulevard.

Garth Toby Boulevard lol. How did I miss that? Work keeps getting in the way of my okctalk time.

okrednk
10-16-2006, 08:57 PM
What about Oklahoma boulevard?
Or Red Dirt boulevard?
Or Plains boulevard?
Or Sooner boulevard?

Spartan
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Ask our very own Keith what kind of person Toby Keith is, then decide. Although they did not know each other well, they graduated high school together. Plus, there are already Toby Keith and Garth Brooks Blvd's. In Moore and Yukon respectively, however, they exist.

Central is already the name of a street in the southeast part of town in the southside slums.

I have been saying for years that our only woman Mayor and the first woman ever elected Mayor of a major city, has been neglected. She should be honored in a bigger way than a bust in city hall and a block long street. So, I chose Patience Latting Parkway. Or, since the project will be near the centennial of our state, Centennial Parkway.

Patience Latting was the worst mayor we've ever had. :tiphat:

BG918
10-17-2006, 03:06 AM
^ There is already Oklahoma Ave. in downtown, which will become a much busier street once The Triangle is completed as it runs right through it to Bricktown. There will be plenty of debate on the name for sure in the coming years.

Aside from the name, what kinds of businesses would you like to see along the blvd.? I would want to see a continuation of Bricktown at the eastern end (where it will connect to I-40/I-35) but the real Bricktown not Lower Bricktown. I mean actual solid brick warehouse-type buildings along both sides of the avenue (like on Sheridan) that could take up areas that are currently surface parking next to I-40. Fill the ground level with more stores/restaurants and create a new entrance to the Harkins theater. The area around the U-Haul is just begging for something big, maybe a new museum?

And then the area around the Ford Center and to the west, this is the part that has the highest potential. I could see this part being a major retail avenue with big department stores on both sides and all kinds of smaller retail stores around them, all fronting the street with parking garages behind (along SW 2nd and SW 4th). The extra wide sidewalks, with plenty of trees, would make for a nice walking environment next to the potentially 6-lane roadway. The few block immediately to the west of the Ford Center are prime for future development and this could be the catalyst. I could see some residential high rises and a new hotel tower here along SW 2nd or Reno overlooking Myriad Gardens and the skyline.

mranderson
10-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Patience Latting was the worst mayor we've ever had. :tiphat:

That is YOUR opinion. She served several terms, so many people disagree with you. Plus, she was the first woman ever elected Mayor of a major city. That alone deserves major honor.

I knew her pretty well and have, to this day, a great respect for her. Even if she only saw you once before, she remembered you. THAT is class.

BTW. Hokie Okie Spartan. Were you alive during her term? Were you an adult or teenager at that time? If not, what makes you think of her as you do? Either way, it is still YOUR opinion only.

BricktownGuy
10-17-2006, 05:04 AM
What anyone says is usually ONE's opinion. Whether it be Hokie Okie Spartan, mranderson or NightRider.

Midtowner
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I wasn't really around much during that period, but Latting was mayor from '71 to '83 which is generally known as the most corrupt period in the city's recent history.

She was either complicit in very shady deals like the councourse (which oddly enough was only connected to buildings owned by people "serving" on the committee which controlled it), or she was just too incompetant to know what was going on.

HOT ROD
10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Personally, I like Central Parkway or Central Boulevard. It could have a 2ndary name like "so and so Anenue or Street" - most big cities do this, like in NYC Avenue of Americas takes in many different "streets" along its winding route.

BDP
10-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the south side of the new boulevard would be perfect for Taj and Cordish to come in and build what they planned to build when they lost the bid for lower Bricktown. Of course, once they are ready to start Hogan will need to come and file a cry baby lawsuit to put all current plans on hold for three years. Once it is finally built (as likely to happen as it was years ago) then maybe all the malcontents that run rampant on this board can STFU.

:LolLolLol :congrats:

I think you underestimate us malcontents' ability to to find things to complain about.

I know you have overestimated our ability to STFU.

:)

mranderson
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Personally, I like Central Parkway or Central Boulevard. It could have a 2ndary name like "so and so Anenue or Street" - most big cities do this, like in NYC Avenue of Americas takes in many different "streets" along its winding route.

It could be confusing. In Plano, Texas, they have two major streets named as follows: Park and Parker. IT confuses the dispatchers at the wrecker services all the time. Plus the public service people have been known to be confused.

Here is a scenerio. You have a traffic collision on Central. The name Central parkway (or other ending) has been chosen. You report the collision in the 2300 block of Central. The emergency services person could send fire personnel to either. So. Point being. There should only be one street with a certain name.

Another example. We have Virginia Avenue and Virginia Drive. They are miles apart. Many people get lost between them. I have once or twice.

Popsy
10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
BDP

No underestimation or overestimation. Just wishful thinking. :)

windowphobe
10-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I guess "Anderson Road" is out, then.

mranderson
10-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Yes. My family has already been honored with a major street. One is enough. Thanks for thinking of us.

:tiphat: :ou

Patrick
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I think the south side of the new boulevard would be perfect for Taj and Cordish to come in and build what they planned to build when they lost the bid for lower Bricktown.

We wouldn't want that. Lower Bricktown would dry up and blow away.

Spartan
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM

That's Mr. Anderson Road to you!!

Easy180
10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes. My family has already been honored with a major street. One is enough. Thanks for thinking of us.

Who knew Shields was named after mr andersons family?...I for one didn't

mranderson
10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Who knew Shields was named after mr andersons family?...I for one didn't

Last time I checked, my family's name was not Shields. So how can that dump of a street be named after us?

Spartan
10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
OK, whatever you say, Mr. Shields...

Martin
10-17-2006, 08:48 PM
oh dear. and i thought he was referring to triple-x road. silly me. -M

mburlison
10-18-2006, 05:57 AM
...Park and Parker. IT confuses the dispatchers at the wrecker services all the time. Plus the public service people have been known to be confused...Another example. We have Virginia Avenue and Virginia Drive. They are miles apart. Many people get lost between them. I have once or twice.

Yes, Address matching software has to deal w/ alot when facing some of those examples. Especially allowing for misspells, transpositions, etc... (Address matching software used by all the above services, plus mailers & USPS).

traxx
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Since we hope it will be where much new retail and businesses go up how about something simple like Market Street?

HOT ROD
10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
yeah, that's right - we already have Central Avenue. I think Market Street could work. Or better yet, Market Avenue.

It would go with the other named avenues that run E-W in downtown: California, Sheridan, Reno, Market. And we don't already have Market anywhere.

for those of you who may not know, OKC roads that go E-W are typically named Street and roads that go N-S are Avenues. Only in downtown is this rule violated.

Spartan
10-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah I think everybody knew that...

BricktownGuy
10-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think everybody knew that...

HOS, there are many out of towners on this thread that maybe did not know that, like myself.

Spartan
10-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Goes to show usernames can be misleading...

SOONER8693
10-20-2006, 05:29 PM
How about Norick Avenue or Blvd. Without Ron Norick none of this would be happening. IMHO

BricktownGuy
10-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Goes to show usernames can be misleading...

BricktownGuy.... can have various meanings. Could mean I live or work in Bricktown...... or could also mean.. I am interested in Bricktown... or could mean I own property in Bricktown... or could mean.... love Bricktown.... or could mean...want to live in Bricktown... or want to own property in Bricktown.... you get the idea.

Luke
10-20-2006, 06:01 PM
In hopes that this thoroughfare becomes a hot retail corridor and preferably "upscale," how about a funny but fitting Will Rogers style Oklahoma nod to Bevery Hills' Rodeo Drive. Instead of pronouncing it roDAYoh, we would pronounce it ROdeeoh.

windowphobe
10-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Robinson near Sheridan already bears "Ron Norick Blvd." signage.

SOONER8693
10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for bringing me up to date. I did not know that.

Popsy
10-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I think it would be neat to honor the state's beef industry, since the road will run close to the stockyards, and our very own visionary and moderator, Patrick, and name the street "Cow Patty Drive". :)

mranderson
10-20-2006, 08:08 PM
In hopes that this thoroughfare becomes a hot retail corridor and preferably "upscale," how about a funny but fitting Will Rogers style Oklahoma nod to Bevery Hills' Rodeo Drive. Instead of pronouncing it roDAYoh, we would pronounce it ROdeeoh.

Only one problem with that. The street in Beverly Hills is pronounced correctly. Especially if it becomes a high income shopping area. Most people who can afford to waste money on those luxury items have enough class not to pronounce it "row-dee-oh."

floater
10-21-2006, 08:45 AM
I like the thread title - Downtown Boulevard.

Easy180
10-21-2006, 09:59 AM
How about Easy Street

Midtowner
10-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe Carl Albert Ave.?

Considering the influence Carl Albert wielded, he ought to get a major street named after him in the state's capitol.

ChristianConservative
10-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Kirk Humphreys Blvd. He was around during the completion of most of the projects.

mranderson
10-21-2006, 02:40 PM
How about Easy Street

We already have an "easy street." It is in the northeast side.

ChristianConservative
10-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Mick Cornett will be instrumental in getting this completed. Why not call it Cornett Blvd?

Istook found the funding for the Crosstown project. Why not name it Istook Blvd? Okay, maybe not.

Luke
10-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I like the thread title - Downtown Boulevard.

Hm...

I actually like that too.

ChristianConservative
10-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Not very original, but different.

Nixon7
10-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Not very original, but different.

not much is original....like the Oklahoma River in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in Oklahoma County :)

jbrown84
10-22-2006, 02:19 PM
It could be confusing. In Plano, Texas, they have two major streets named as follows: Park and Parker. IT confuses the dispatchers at the wrecker services all the time. Plus the public service people have been known to be confused.

Here is a scenerio. You have a traffic collision on Central. The name Central parkway (or other ending) has been chosen. You report the collision in the 2300 block of Central. The emergency services person could send fire personnel to either. So. Point being. There should only be one street with a certain name.

Another example. We have Virginia Avenue and Virginia Drive. They are miles apart. Many people get lost between them. I have once or twice.

And yet you are the one that suggested calling it Centennial Blvd. when there is already a Centennial Expressway that would connect to it. How confusing is that?

What about Woody Guthrie Parkway?

mranderson
10-22-2006, 04:15 PM
And yet you are the one that suggested calling it Centennial Blvd. when there is already a Centennial Expressway that would connect to it. How confusing is that?

What about Woody Guthrie Parkway?

Whereas there IS officially a Centennial expressway, that name is not used. It is known simpally as I-235. So, the conflict would not exist.

windowphobe
10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm warming to the idea of Woody Guthrie Parkway.

jbrown84
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Whereas there IS officially a Centennial expressway, that name is not used. It is known simpally as I-235. So, the conflict would not exist.

But that is still one of the names and there are large signs labeling it as such, therefore in your scenario it is quite possible that a person could look up and see Centennial Expressway and say that on the phone, especially if they were from out of town or something and didn't know better.