View Full Version : Update on Soleil and XO Lounge

metro
10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Surprised no one has posted this but here goes:

Sun shines on brothers' plans
French heritage will show in Soleil restaurant, Boucherie Meat Market

By Sharon Dowell
The Oklahoman

Brothers Alain and Michel Buthion will always have their culinary roots firmly planted in their home country of France. But since settling in Oklahoma City during the 1980s, they've put down firm roots in Oklahoma City's ever-changing culinary landscape, too.
Along the way, they've introduced Oklahomans to French culture and culinary traditions and created some remarkable Oklahoma food traditions — with a French twist, of course.

This month, they'll add to their list of culinary accomplishments by opening Soleil, a continental restaurant, and XO, a sophisticated lounge, within the historic Colcord Hotel. And the brothers are opening a neighborhood-type meat market next door to their flagship operation, La Baguette Bistro & Bakery, that will continue a family tradition begun in south France by the brothers' family.

Michel, 47, the more outgoing and gregarious of the two brothers, much of the time can be found at the front of the restaurant, greeting guests as he moves from table to table, acknowledging regulars by their first names.

Alain, 43, is more soft-spoken yet has a refreshing, understated sense of humor.

For years, Alain was content to be in the kitchen, supervising, out of sight of guests. Recently, however, he's become more comfortable mingling with clientele in the dining room. He admits he's slowly becoming at ease with the notion that guests want to see him step out of the kitchen.

"Every chef should be in the kitchen," he says. "A chef should be saying hello and goodbye quickly and then get back to the kitchen."

And how will the chef divide his time between the kitchens at La Baguette, 7408 N May, and Soleil in the downtown hotel? He says he'll spend time in both restaurants' kitchens.

"There are some times I will need to be at La Baguette. For example, Friday night is a La Baguette moment."

As for Soleil, which will seat about 136 diners, Alain will spend plenty of time there, too, especially in the coming weeks. But he has help from a French-born sous chef he's worked with previously who has recently returned to Oklahoma City. He also has several additional chefs for Soleil's kitchen to handle the load in his absence.

Right now, he's ready for the increased workload with 21 cooks in the Soleil kitchen and 16 cooks at La Baguette.

"I have a good feeling about my team," Alain Buthion says.

Michel Buthion was the first of the brothers to visit the United States, in the late 1970s. He made several trips between France and Oklahoma and also visited other states. His voice becomes softer and more serious when he explains, "Well, in California, I came very close to staying. But I knew more people here, so I came back, and now I have been here for 26 years."

Michel related how, as a child, he lived for a time with relatives in Beaurepaire in southern France. There, his relatives owned a grocery store, cafe and neighborhood meat market, all connected. The meat market is where Jean Buthion, Michel's and Alain's father, now deceased, was a butcher.

Michel Buthion trained for two years at the Clos D'or hotel and restaurant school in Grenoble and apprenticed at the Monte Carlo restaurant there. Later he worked at the Wessex Hotel in Winchester, England; the L'Ambassade D'Auvergne and Hotel de Paris, both in Paris; and the Grand Hotel in Grenoble. He focused on running the front of the house, while brother Alain attended the same hotel and restaurant school, to train in the kitchen. Alain completed a one-year apprenticeship at restaurants in Grenoble, then worked in the Rhone Alps and Provence to acquire further experience in the kitchen.

Michel, who had acquaintances from Oklahoma, settled briefly in Norman in 1980. His eyes light up and he becomes quite animated, talking with a heavy French accent as he describes that first job in Oklahoma. "I was the first and the last sommelier at Legend's restaurant!" The job lasted just a few months, then he returned to France.

"At Legend's," he continues, "I tried to sell the wine, and three out of four people thought my accent was fake!"

When he returned to Oklahoma, he became food and beverage director at the Skirvin Hotel from 1980-88. "I hired Kurt (Fleischfresser) as chef de cuisine for the Skirvin; he'd been working at a resort in Arizona. And now Kurt is one of my best friends."

Alain joined his brother here in 1988 after visiting Oklahoma three times, and he became chef at The Coach House, which Fleischfresser now owns. When the Skirvin closed that same that year, Michel and Alain opened La Baguette in Oklahoma City. Through the years, the tiny restaurant grew to include more seats, expanded the menus and gradually gobbled up more space in the shopping center where it has remained. The meat market, the brothers say, will add a necessary component to their customers' needs.

The brothers were also co-owners of Cuisine 43, a cafe, deli and banquet hall in the Will Rogers Theatre in the early 1990s. And they had a La Baguette outlet in the basement of the Journal Record building that was open for a couple of years for lunch only before it was lost in the Murrah Building bombing in 1995.

"It was a very difficult business," Alain recalls about the downtown La Baguette. "It was difficult to get people to come into the basement of that building, to get them to come there to eat."

When not working in their restaurants, the brothers have interests that take them in different directions. Alain loves flying a plane and is working toward his pilot's license, while Michel is active in furthering culinary education through the Oklahoma Restaurant Association, of which he serves on the board of directors. Michel and his wife, Diana, have two young children, and his older son and daughter, in their 20s, have experience in the food industry. Alain and his wife, Julie, have a 14-month-old daughter.

The brothers savor the opportunity to increase Oklahomans' knowledge of French culture through annual festivities they have organized. Those include a pajama party to mark the release of the first shipments of Beaujolais Nouveau in November and a competition each July 14 among a dozen local independent restaurants' employees to celebrate France's Bastille Day. The daylong event includes contests such as waiter races and ladle tosses as well as wine tasting. Michel also organizes and leads wine-tasting trips in Oklahoma and to various wine-growing regions in the world.

October will be a busy and exciting month for the brothers. Their mother, Suzanne, who lives in Grenoble, France, is visiting her sons this month. She is here to share in the excitement of the openings of Soleil, XO and Boucherie Meat Market, all of which will carry on the Buthion family's dedication to an industry it has given so much to in France and in Oklahoma.

Pete
10-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Can't wait to see all these new operations!

I have high hopes for them all.

metro
10-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Just talked with them. They are opening tomorrow. Fri 13th for the soft opening and the 26th for the Grand Opening!

HOT ROD
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I just find it interesting how lacking the OKC media is.

if you read the article, it never defines what those "new" venues are. What is XO? I gather the other two from the title.

Most big city media outlets will have a paragraph at the end of the article which explains what it is they have been talking about instead of "assuming" that everyone always knows what's in the writer's mind - something like the below would be more appropriate ending,

Solei - a new concept french restaurant soon to open in downtown's historic and newly developed Colcord Hotel. XO, same.

By the way, what is XO??? Is it a dance club?

I hope so, that way we can get more upscale urban dance clubs in downtown AWAY from Bricktown.

Pete
10-16-2006, 01:25 PM
I believe XO is a cocktail lounge on the main floor of the hotel.

But you're right, the article doesn't explain all this very well.

metro
10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Actually XO is a Cocktail and Jazz lounge in the basement. Soleil is the French Contenental restaurant on the ground floor. They both opened today (Monday), not Friday as I previously posted. They called me last week and said Friday but did not disclose that was a test run. They open to the public today.

Luke
10-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the French guys?

Yesterday at Starbucks in Nichols Hills I saw two French guys speaking with one another. I immediately thought of these two.

I've seen quite a few "local celebrities" at that Starbucks. Just curious.

metro
10-21-2006, 09:04 PM
The Oklahoman had a picture of them a few days ago along with the article I posted. You could probably download the picture from the article.

Pete
10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
This was a sidebar of the main article that provides more particulars on the establishments:

Buthion restaurants
Michel and Alain Buthion's new restaurant, Soleil, is on street level inside the Colcord Hotel, 15 N Robinson and is scheduled to open this month. Hours will be 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. Dress is business casual. Soleil's menu will include appetizers priced from $9-$14 and entrees from $19 to $31. Among the menu items planned are chilled tomatillo soup with steamed shrimp and blue crab; roasted beet salad; an "underground" salad featuring root vegetables; a choice of beef, tuna or salmon tartar (raw meat or fish combined with seasonings); tomato and goat cheese tart; three mini burgers with different garnishes including foie gras; seared duck breast; half a rack of lamb; sauteed sunfish (also known as Hawaiian tilapia); beef tenderloin; and the classic Coquilles St. Jacques (scallops cooked in a rich wine sauce, topped with bread crumbs and finished in the oven).

In the hotel's basement is the Buthions' upscale XO lounge, also to open this month. Appetizers and drinks will be served from 4 p.m. until 2 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday.

La Baguette Bistro & Baker y, 7408 N May, is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Telephone is 840-3047.

Boucherie Meat Market, which opens into La Baguette, will open this month; the hours will be 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Diners at La Baguette will be able to select a steak in the market, then have it cooked to order in the restaurant. Telephone number is the same as La Baguette's.

BDP
10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
XO should serve dessert late. Dessert lounges are very popular these days and think how nice it would be to go to a game or show and stop off at XO to to have a drink and dessert while waiting out traffic.

Pete
10-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Downtown has become destination

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

Thirty years have passed since I was last a "guest" of downtown Oklahoma City.

The occasion was the opening of the Sheraton Hotel, and my family was new to the city, my father having overseen the project's development. The opening of the hotel was an exciting adventure for a 10-year-old kid from New York. But when I ventured outside to discover the rest of downtown, I saw a wasteland of empty lots surrounding the hotel.

Paul Coury, the developer of downtown's newest hotel, The Colcord, invited me to check in after all of these years and experience downtown not as a resident, but as a guest. The experience Friday was an eye-opener.

The first thing one notices is Oklahoma's friendliness. Yes, we've heard about this so often, we think it's just a catchphrase invented by the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. The entire hotel staff is both eager to please, but also friendly and approachable. The place feels ... "comfortable." Dismiss all this, maybe, to the fact they know I work for the newspaper.

But venturing out into downtown, the experience remained the same. The sidewalks are well-lit, and downtown "ambassadors" wearing yellow and blue shirts are quick to say "hello" and offer help finding nearby attractions. And the destinations are all within sight of the hotel — the Myriad Gardens and Crystal Botanical Tube, the Cox Convention Center, Ford Center and Bricktown all were visible from my room and the hotel entrance. Way-finding signs offer clear directions to other attractions, including the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, the Oklahoma National Memorial and the Civic Center Music Hall.

The maps also show Oklahoma Spirit trolley routes that loop downtown throughout the week.

Back at the hotel, I was treated to an incredible meal at the Soleil Restaurant. The lighting, decor, oyster bar and the tables' positions facing Robinson and Sheridan avenues combine for an atmosphere that's part feast, part theater.

Oklahoma City has somehow become a successful urban center without losing its small-town charms. To the left of window-side booths in the restaurant, you see the chef preparing delicacies in the open kitchen. To the right you see power walkers and Blazers ice hockey fans strolling the sidewalks outside.

The hotel room itself is everything Coury promised it would be. The Colcord may be 96 years old, but the hotel inside is brand-new. The modern contemporary design includes flat screen televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless Internet, cordless phones and even a doorbell that can be used from the inside to let staff know if guests don't want to be disturbed.

Looking out the southside window, the wasteland I saw 30 years ago is gone. In its place is a lush green Myriad Gardens that residents might sometimes take for granted. The rooftop lighting added to nearby buildings along Hudson and Walker Avenues do mark the area as downtown's emerging Arts Quarter.

The late evening was spent touring Bricktown, humming with crowds enjoying its restaurants and clubs, was capped with friends at the basement XO club at the Colcord. The club consists of curtained-off cubicles, designed for groups of six to eight people. A dance floor nearby was a bit rowdier, with some revelers clearly long past sobriety.

Morning arrived with room service and decisions to make: Do I hop on the Oklahoma Spirit trolley, which loops past the hotel, offering excursions to the art museum and the Oklahoma City National Memorial? Should I visit Taylor's Newsstand around the corner, which sells papers from across the country, as well as a large supply of magazines and touristy mementoes, or spend the day again in Bricktown, where options include a water taxi ride on the canal, a movie at Harkins Theatres or checking out Bass Pro Shops?

In just seven years, downtown has gone from one to six hotels and counting. Looks like downtown Oklahoma City has finally become a destination.

metro
02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
The Colcord Hotel and Soleil Restaurant

Putnam Wine Dinner

Come experience the fine wine of Kermit Lynch imports. Soleil Restaurant and Putnam wines will be hosting a Five Course Wine Dinner on February 23, 2008 at 7:00pm. Kermit Lynch is one of the most influential importers of wine and with just one sip, you will taste the uncompromising quality and impeccable standards. At only $60, you won't want to miss out on this special event! Call 405.601.3800 for RESERVATIONS.

Colcord Hotel Honored

On Saturday, January 26, 2008 Colcord Hotel General Manager Jeff Erwin was pleased to accept a "Good Neighbor Award" from Historic Preservation Inc. which represents the Heritage Hills neighborhood. During their annual meeting, the group honored the Colcord for extraordinary efforts to members of the community who were displaced from their homes due to the December ice storm. "We feel particularly connected to the Heritage Hills neighborhood" commented Erwin "the hotel and the neighborhood share a historic bond, we are close geographically and I am personally attached having lived in Heritage Hills since 1995."

The hotel was fortunate to have maintained power during the storm and was able to provide refuge to hundreds of residents without electricity. The employees of the hotel, most of whom were facing difficult situations at their own homes, did a commendable job in welcoming and making guests feel comfortable from around the city.

Downtown Sunday

Get to know your DOWNTOWN neighbors! The first Sunday of each month, Soleil Restaurant will be hosting a Meet and Greet for downtown Oklahoma City residents. Come mingle with old friends or introduce yourself to new neighbors while enjoying complimentary hors d'oeuvres. A cash bar will be available. Join Soleil on March 1, 2008 from 3:00-5:00pm for an event the whole neighborhood will be talking about!

Work Escape Weekend

Listen to Magic 104.1/KMGL this weekend to WIN a Magic Work Escape Weekend, which includes a night's stay in a Luxurious Executive King room at the Colcord Hotel as well as Breakfast for Two in Soleil Restaurant.

COLCORD HOTEL, SOLEIL RESTAURANT, XO LOUNGE
Fifteen North Robinson at Sheridan
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

actionman
02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I work right next door - at the IRS building. 55 Robinson. Both places are very nice. Pricey for sure. I'd say the XO is definitely for the young contemporary crowd. Well decorated and very comfortable. They even have a small dance floor there. Almost seems a little cold in it's design - still like it though.