View Full Version : Changing usernames

Patrick
10-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I received this question from a user on this forum:

Patrick,

What's the deal with changing the name on previously recorded posts by ChristianConservative and obliterating the name from the membership list after the fact? Seems totally inappropriate to me. If someone wants to stop posting under one user name and start using another one, that's one thing, but when OKCtalk changes the name on previous posts, that is another matter entirely.

The user in question requested that his username be changed from "ChristianConservative" to "Conservative". We honored his request. Anytime we go in and change a username of a certain user, it changes the names on all of the posts they've made previously. That's how the software works. To prevent this from occurring, we'd have to ask the user to create a new username. Most users don't want to do that since they've already racked up post counts, etc.

We've also recently changed usernames of a few other posters that requested new usernames. okcgoddess was changed to Faith. Jay was changed to OklaCity_75. mariner62 was changed to Curt.

When the username is changed, it is also changes in the membership list, as you will no longer find the names mariner62 or okcgoddess.

Again, for the old names to remain, the person would have to abandon their old account and create a completely new user account, something most users don't want to do....start over from scratch. Thus we honor username change requests.

Hope that clears up the issue.

Spartan
10-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, at least it aint as bad as it could be. On some forums the admins forgot to disable the feature where members can just change their usernames... you'd have a lot of "new people" every morning.

Apparently ChristianConservative got tired of people throwing his Jesus card username back in his face, so he decided to have it changed. Personally I've always likened a username to a tattoo--good idea or not, it's stuck.

I'm proud of my schools, but I would never use that to one-up someone in a debate on a forum. Thus my username for a while was Sooner&RiceGrad; eventually I realized the hypocricy in having a username like that if you choose to act low-key rather than serious on forums.

The moral of the story? Think before you register with a username.

windowphobe
10-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I have no trouble remaining low-key yet unserious.

Spartan
10-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Not to make a mockery, but can I have my username changed to Hokie Okie Spartan?

Patrick
10-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Not to make a mockery, but can I have my username changed to Hokie Okie Spartan?

If you want requests like this honored, you have to PM Todd or a moderator.

Midtowner
10-14-2006, 09:18 PM

Worst name ever.

dirtrider73068
10-14-2006, 09:38 PM
its not that bad I like it, I like my name don't think I will ever change it, just my home state I like oklahoma and don't want to live anywhere else.

Spartan
10-14-2006, 10:00 PM
The Ragin Cajun has met his match.

Deni
10-17-2006, 06:24 PM
I so refuse to write all this Hokie Okie Spartan... now you will be spa......

Spartan
10-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Call me whatever just don't call me a Texas fan.

Deni
10-18-2006, 12:26 AM
ok spa I wont even say anything about seeing you at walmart with that longhorn shirt on. Trader...lmao JK

Spartan
10-18-2006, 10:55 AM
You wouldn't see me at a Wal Mart in the first place...!

Deni
10-18-2006, 10:59 AM
hahahah... yeah I hate walmart!!! I am on strike from shopping there. I think the Waltons have to much money without me giving them my hard earned money for low quality!!! But I also refuse to shop at a place I can't read their signs like buy for less in NW okc.. I would rather go to specialty stores to get what I need even if it cost me more in the long run.

Spartan
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Buy For Less is a stupid name for a suburban retail store. Hate to over-use slang, but how ghetto is that?

mranderson
10-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Buy For Less is a stupid name for a suburban retail store. Hate to over-use slang, but how ghetto is that?

Trust me. Most Buy for Less' are VERY "ghetto." Those people in most of their locations are so bad, they do not even put a magazine back when they look at it. The rack is always a pig sty... No. Pig sty is an understatement.

(sorry. A bit off topic, but could not resist commenting on the "ghetto" remark)

Deni
10-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah I have not found a grocery store that I like to shop at so I settle for ALbertsons.

Spartan
10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
I like the Super Target. They always have a good candy section. That's where you can find me.

Deni
10-18-2006, 05:20 PM
candy section ...lmao "want some candy little girl?"

mranderson
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Man! Have we really gone off topic.:bow:

Keith
10-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Username Policy

Upon registration members are asked for a username to identify themselves to others in the community when they post. This may be your real name or any screen name you may choose but should not contain profanity or be a derivative of a business name or otherwise in violation of out Terms & Conditions. However, any username deemed inappropriate by the administrator may be removed and a change of username granted without charge.

If you later wish to change your username you may do so for a fee of $9.95 and which can be paid through Paypal to accounting@okctalk.com. In the Notes section of the Paypal payment window please include your current username and your requested new username.

Although Patrick cleared most of this up in his first post, now you can read the actual "Username Policy" rule from the Terms and Conditions of this forum.

If you have any more questions, please send a PM to Todd, or one of the moderators.

Patrick
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
When I was asked by 3 members of this forum recently to change their usernames, I didn't think twice, and I honored their request. But, I can see how the changing of usernames could potentially become a problem. At the time I made the changes, I hadn't realized that Todd had this policy in our Terms and Conditions. Therefore, any future name changes will follow the Terms and Conditions mentioned.