View Full Version : Grounding your child

Patrick
10-22-2004, 11:21 PM
For those of you that have children, do you think grounding your children actually helps/works?

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
10-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Hello Patrick,

Yes I am a big believer in Groundings.You have to hit them where it hurts sometimes take away the things they love and make them think about what they have done.Remind me to tell you when Im not so tired about the time my oldest got caught at school with small firecrakers.Its a lonfg hilarious story.Im just too tired to tell it now.But yes works for Jesse.

Good Night,DD

Keith
10-23-2004, 08:27 AM
I agree with DarlingDiva on this one. Hit your kids where it really hurts...ground them from the computer, their car, the TV, or something else that they enjoy doing. They will get mad (believe me), but many times that is the only way to get their attention. Especially when they get older, a spanking sometimes doesn't mean much to them.

Again, though, you've got to explain to them why they are being grounded and for how long.

mranderson
10-23-2004, 08:37 AM
My cousin was to travel to Europe with us when we were teenagers. He did something against my aunts wishes, and she grounded him... Literally. She said he could not go as a punishment.

Now, over 35 years later, he still talks about that as the worst punishment he ever had. I do not remember what he did, however, he said it was the LAST time he did it.

Yes. Object lessons pay off. Spanking does not.

The punishment for my cousin was too harsh that time. Chances are, he will not get another chance to tour Europe. Something that could easily be once in a lifetime should not be taken away.

My sisters boyfriend was a friend of John Fogerty. Fogerty is one of my guitar insperations. My sister had arrainged for me to meet him after the CCR concert. My mom said I could not go because I had done something wrong. When she felt it was once in a lifetime, she let me go anyway. I was grounded for three months. THAT was enough... Especially with my dad around to make me help him in the backyard.

Punishment such as grounding or in this case and the cases of taking television privlidges, etc are really not "grounding." That is when you are confined to home without being able to see friends.

Joe Schmoe
10-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Closets are a great place to ground kids. Dark, enclosed space, easy to lock.

I keep a water bowl & ankle chains in the master bedroom closet just for when the kiddies misbehave.

Beatings aren't as effective because you have to hide the black & blue marks...

:rolleyes:

Really, I'm for custom punishments, learn what your kid values & start from there. But for me most importantly, make sure that they understand that punishment is only a consequence of their actions, & not because you are mad at them. I think a dispassionate application of cause & effect is important so as to not pit yourself against your kids on a personal level.

Patrick
10-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey DarlingDiva how about that story you were going to tell?