View Full Version : Best Place to Buy a Men's Semi-Formal Wardrobe?

HFK
10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I couldn't find another forum on OKCTalk that seemed suitable for this topic, so I'll post it here. Please move it if it's inappropriate.

I've a new job, one that will require semi-formal attire. Where should I go to get my new wardrobe? I'm completely ignorant of such things, so I'll need a one-stop shop (where I can get everything from ties to shoes, and someone to tell me what goes with what). I've bought a suit at Men's Wearhouse before, and was happy with the result. It cost of a good chunk of change, but I like the quality of the clothing and ease of the place. A co-worker suggested Dillards would be just as good but cheaper.

By the way, by semi-formal I mean slacks, (occasionally chinos, dockers) long sleeved collared shirts, a tie and a jacket once in awhile. Good quality, nice looking clothing is a must.

I'll have about $1500 to spend

Thanks for the help.

Kerry
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I personally like S&K. The are half of the price of Men's Warehouse. All of their prices are two for one. I don't recommend the $100 suits but you can get two very nice ones for $200. If you don't need to ware a jacket then try Kohls. I also recommend buy socks at the same time you buy the suits. Nothing is harder then trying to match socks to pants when you don't have them side by side.

drumsncode
10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I'd go to Penn Square Mall and check out all the shops, then make a decision.

Men's Wearhouse was the first thing that came to my mind.

Heck, email Andrew Speno and ask him where he shops. He's a clothes hound.

Karried
10-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Have you checked out Macys and Dillards at Quail Spring Mall? There is also a nice place on the corner of Western and Memorial - small but looks like you would get a lot of personalized custom fitting.

Don't laugh at this but places like Ross or Marshalls carry a lot of name brand clothing at a fraction of the cost.

You might pick up a few magazines and take a look at some of the latest styles.

This is my opinion.. buy one or two nice sportscoats/jackets, get a few pair of nice slacks.. 8-10 dress shirts, a variety of quality silk ties, quality leather shoes (black and brown) and belts - mix and match the slacks with different ties and shirts...more importantly, find a good dry cleaner that delivers.. have your shirts and slacks professionally pressed and always have your shoes shined .. you'll look like a million bucks!

Congratulations on your new job!

floater
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Just to throw out some local names, I'd consider Harold's (in 50 Penn Place or their warehouse on NW Expressway), Teena Hicks in the Oklahoma Tower (same building as the Hornet's downtown shop), or Spencer Stone Company in the Nichols Hills Plaza.

Harold's (http://www.harolds.com/harolds/Default.aspx)
Untitled Page (http://www.teenahickscompany.com/index.html)
https://www.spencerstoneco.com/shoppingcart/default.asp

Centerback
10-05-2006, 09:34 AM
HFK - From personal experience (going from shorts and tshirts at work to suits every day) Steinmart is a great choice. I do have suits from Harold's, Steven Giles, Pinpoint Resource, SJ Haggard and Dillards to name a few. You can get the best bang for your buck at Steinmart (suits, slacks, shirts, ties, socks, chinos, button down business casual shirts, etc.). Also, look for end of season sales as you build your wardrobe. floater is definatley right about Teena Hicks, if you want a custom made shirt for you and you alone, this is the place, they are $100+ but it is an outstanding look. Good luck.

Patrick
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I just had to get a wardrobe for medical school, as I'm wearing shirt and tie, with my lab coat over it every day now, since I'm in the hospital every day.

I had few dress clothes at the time, and only about $2500 budgeted for it.

Personally, with only $2500, I couldn't afford some of the places being mentioned here. Dillards, Macy's, Harold's, and Men's Warehouse were all too expensive for me.

I ended up at JC Penney and Kohl's. Both have nice slacks, dress shirts, etc. for a nice price. I'd never spend over $20 for a dress shirt. I was lucky to find a dress shirt on sale in Dillards for that price. I just went with Stafford dress slacks from JC Penney for $29.99 each. I have know problem with Kohl's store brand either, Croft and Barrow. I also stop in at Sears from time to time. You can't beat their store brand dress shirts, David and Taylor, for like $12.99 a shirt. I have some older ones that have outlasted any of my Dockers dress shirts. I picked up some ties at Sears on sale for $2.99 each, and they're wearing much better than a couple of $35 ties I bought at Dillards.

For $2500, I was able to buy approx. 15 shirt, tie, and pants sets that I matched together, with help of my wife. They all seem to be pretty good quality. At Dillards or Macy's I would've been lucky to buy 5 shirt, tie, and pant sets.

Steinmart was also mentioned, and they have a pretty good price on men's dress clothes.

IMO, you're not getting more for your money by paying the extra price at Dillards or Macy's. You're just paying for the name. People would never know that I got my dress clothes at JC Penney's.

Patrick
10-05-2006, 10:56 AM
By the way, you may laugh at this, but I bought a few pairs of Goerge brand slacks at Wal-Mart as well, and I've actually found that I like them better than Dockers.

Karried
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Are you saying $2,500.00 dollars or $250.00 ? $2500.00 is a lot of cash.

Btw, that's why I suggested Ross - they have quality name brand clothes - designer labels ( not that I care about that) but I like the clothes to last and hold up well ... and sometimes Macy's has some killer sales..

Patrick
10-05-2006, 11:14 AM
$2,500. I had to buy an entire wardrobe, shoes and all.

20 Shirts @ $20 each: $400

25 Ties @ $20 each: $500

12 pairs of slacks at $30 each: $360

6 pairs of shoes at $75 each: $450

6 belts at $20 each: $120

1 Suit Jacket and Trousers: $150 for suit coat, $75 for trousers: $225

Dress Socks: $50

Total: $2105 plus Tax.

floater
10-05-2006, 11:43 AM

20 Shirts @ $20 each: $400

25 Ties @ $20 each: $500

12 pairs of slacks at $30 each: $360

6 pairs of shoes at $75 each: $450

6 belts at $20 each: $120

1 Suit Jacket and Trousers: $150 for suit coat, $75 for trousers: $225

Dress Socks: $50

Total: $2105 plus Tax.

Having "Dr." in front of your name: priceless

Patrick, you've got years until you have to hit a department store again...

Patrick
10-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Having "Dr." in front of your name: priceless

Patrick, you've got years until you have to hit a department store again...

LOL! Maybe then I can hit Harolds and all of the others listed!

Midtowner
10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Sign up for a Joseph A. Banks corporate card, then wait for the sales. I got a $1000+ suit for abotu $150 there (it's a really nice linen blend silk lined suit from their signature collection). Get 2-3 pairs of nice shoes -- brown and black. I tend to favor the brown. Johnston & Murphy is a good brand.

Otherwise, just sit back and watch their sales. They typically have pretty good deals.

ChristianConservative
10-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Being the man I am, I wouldn't stoop down to the level of Wal-Mart. Eeeewww. I've purchased a few suits from JC Penney, but I generally want my clothes to last a long time. I've purchased most of my clothes from Harolds. The outlet on Northwest Highway has good deals. Not close to those Patrick mentioned, but I think my clothes will be around a little longer than Patrick's.

Karried
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Wow, I don't think I've ever spent that much on clothing in one shot.. what a fun shopping spree.

LOL - Have you not heard of this newfangled contraption called a washing machine? or dry cleaners? Here's the secret, don' t gain a pound over the next 10 years.. you'll never have to shop again. ha,ha

metro
10-05-2006, 02:53 PM
It's all relative as they say, it depends on the quantity of items you want and the quality. You can easily spend your entire budget on one good suit. Considering your budget and needs, I would buy 2-3 good suits, a few dress shirts, brown and black shoes, a reversible belt, and a brown and black belt, and a few ties.

If you want really nice suits, go to Mr. Ooley's, Spencer Stone, or Haggard's Clothing. Spencer Stone and Haggard's are in Nichols Hills Plaza, Mr. Ooley's is in Penn Square Mall. Harolds and Israel's Fine Menswear are also excellent choices and are in 50 Penn Place. There is also Parkway Menswear in Edmond. All of these mentioned are a one stop shop, however I'd suggest just suit jackets or suits only from here. If you look around first, you'll be able to find some decent sales. Harold's also has an outlet in Norman. I've gotten several $1000 suits for less than $200 each there.

For shirts, I'd get 3 or so custom made shirts from Teena Hicks (www.teenahickscompany) downtown in Oklahoma Tower. You can pick up a coupon for I think 10% off in the Journal Record usually. If you'd like additional shirts, I'd go to Express in the mall. For ties, I'd pick up a few nice ones ( be prepared to easily spend $50 and up). You can get some pretty good cheap ones (Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Sean John) at Ross for less than $15 although Express has some pretty nice ones for $30 or so.

I'd also get a nice pair of cufflinks that will match any color (perhaps stainless steel). For shoes, I'd get some quality shoes (Armani or Prada). They may cost you $300 or more a pair, but they'll last you more than 10 years if you take care of them and you'll look like a million bucks. If your going for quality, I'd stick with the basics and have less but go for better quality that will last years and look like you mean business than having more of cheaper things that won't last as long. Depending on the business you're in this could mean everything.

A good mens store, tailor, and dry cleaner is Hans Herman on NW Expressway. He caters to all the local celebrities. Check him out at the least for some advice. Hans Herman Tailors (http://www.hansherman.com)

Good luck!

Patrick
10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
For shoes, I'd get some quality shoes (Armani or Prada). They may cost you $300 or more a pair, but they'll last you more than 10 years if you take care of them and you'll look like a million bucks.

For ties, I'd pick up a few nice ones ( be prepared to easily spend $50 and up)

Ouch!

y_h
10-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I've got quite a bit of experience in this department so I'll gladly throw in my suggestions. During my 14 years in the legal profession I've worked in firms that have ranged from business casual to business formal (courtroom attire), so I've managed to build a pretty versatile wardrobe.

Here's how I would establish your wardrobe "starter set."

First of all, even though you didn't say that you would need a suit for your job, I'm going to recommend that you get one anyway. Kohls offers decent quality suit separates (pants and jackets sold separately so as to allow you to get the best fit without the need for alterations). Total cost should run you about $150. I'd recommend a grey pinstripe (I think they're presently selling a couple under the Chaps Ralph Lauren Label). You could certainly get away with wearing just the pants with a plain white or blue dress shirt.

Speaking of shirts, I'm going to recommend that you pick up about ten. That should keep you in good rotation, allowing time to get a week's worth laundered without ever running short. It will also help prevent excess wear and tear and thus permit you to buy a less expensive make. I'd recommend two white dress shirts, two blue dress shirts, on off-white/cream/light tan shirt, a couple of patterned shirts, and two or three solid color shirts in "season neutral" colors (stick with blues, yellows, reds - too dark and you're pretty much only going to wear them in the fall and winter; too light and you're stuck with spring and summer). You should be able to pick up ten shirts for around $300.00 or less at Kohls or Macy's.

With regard to pants, go with a pair of khakhis (some offices may find this a bit too casual which is why I'm only recommending one pair) and a pair of dress slacks in black, grey, tan and olive. My experience has been that Kohl's offers good quality (and usually stain resistant which is good for cutting down on the need to dryclean) models for around $40 a pop. So, altogether you're looking at an outlay of about $200.00-$250.00 here. And let's not forget you've got a "bonus" sixth pair from the suit.

You can get a good, reversible black/brown belt for $30.00 or less at Macy's.

Pick up two sportcoats - the first should be a plain, blue blazer. It's a timeless classic and extremely versatile. You can wear it with the just about all of the dress pants I recommended (except for the black ones or the grey pinstripes), and of course it also works very well with jeans on the weekend. For the second jacket I'd recommend a tan-based plaid pattern. It will be neutral enough to wear with all of the dress pants and even jeans as well. Kohl's usually runs these jackets for about $90.00 a piece. Macy's and Dillard's also tend to run sales that can get the jackets down into that range as well. Just be certain to get a four-season weight jacket - not too heavy or too light as you're bound to find on the sales racks toward the end of seasons.

With regard to ties, I think ten should be plenty. I'd get two or three solid colors, a few striped ones and a few conservatively patterened ones. I'd shy away from really wild patterns or bright colors because they tend to be trendy and thus short lived. Most department stores will have nice ties for as little as $20. I'd budget around $250.00 for ties.

As many have suggested, go with two pairs of shoes - one black and one brown. If possible, alternate them from day to day so as not to wear them out. The leather will last longer if not exposed to the heat and moisture generated by your feet on a daily basis. Macy's and Dillard's each tend to have at least a couple of models of good brands like Cole Haan or Bostonian on sale for about $90.00 a pair. Stay away from reasonably priced and attractive-on-the-shelf brands such as Nunn Bush and Brass Boot. I've owned a few pairs of each and I can assure you they'll fall apart within a year. Very poor workmanship.

Adding up all of the above, you're at $1340.00. If you're set on committing up to if not a little beyond $1500.00 to the cause I'd spend the balance on another belt - something a bit higher end perhaps (try Harold's), perhaps a French cuffed shirt and some nice cufflinks (whomever said stainless was dead-on - just be sure that your belt buckles are silver or some other non-gold colored metal). A really good looking watch always adds a classy finish to a semi-formal outfit and doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune. Seiko and Timex make some very nice looking, distinguished timepieces for under $300.00.

Good luck with the new job and happy shopping!

Patrick
10-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Excellent assessment y_h. Sounds very much like my shopping trip! I typically had a cap of around $20 for dress shirts, $40 for slacks, and $30 for ties and belts. And shoes for around $75-100. You should be able to get some decent quality clothes in those price ranges without having to spend incredible amounts.

Patrick
10-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I'd give some strong consideration to LandsEnd oxford shirts. Sears has a nice selection or you can check our Clothing and Swimwear from Lands' End (http://www.landsend.com). I have a couple of long sleeve LandsEnd oxford shirts now that I've worn over and over for years, that still look new as ever. LandsEnd shirts are a bit more pricey, but still affordable. I believe they're either $29.50 or $34.50. I picked up a few of these when I was shopping. LandsEnd has never let me down.

Actually, I think they might be on sale for $19.50

Men's Long Sleeve Buttondown Oxford Shirt - Lands' End (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1931_58897_10665_10097_5:view=59,00.html?CM _MERCH=PAGE_311&sid=2682145460001141050)

HFK
10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Many thanks for all the advice: I'm going to compare Joseph Banks and Men's Wearhouse and go with the better of the two. When it's time to expand I'll refer back to this thread for guidance. I think I'll take yh's advice and opt for COle Hann/Bostonian or other high-end shoe maker: I don't like the idea of buying a new pair of shoes every year or so.

Thanks again, everyone.

keving
10-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Just to throw out some local names, I'd consider Harold's (in 50 Penn Place or their warehouse on NW Expressway), Teena Hicks in the Oklahoma Tower (same building as the Hornet's downtown shop), or Spencer Stone Company in the Nichols Hills Plaza.

Harold's (http://www.harolds.com/harolds/Default.aspx)
Untitled Page (http://www.teenahickscompany.com/index.html)
https://www.spencerstoneco.com/shoppingcart/default.asp

Not if he's only got $1,500 budgeted for a new wardrobe.

Midtowner
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Bostonian is not really high-end. They're okay. I'm wearing some right now.

The cheapest (best looking) shoe which I'd consider 'high end' is Johnston & Murphy.

They range from $120 for penny loafers, but they average around $160-$225 for a decent pair of shoes.

mranderson
10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I once bought a Tuxedo at a place called the Corpulant Penguin.

That was in Northern California, however. I paid around $500.

Midtowner
10-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I got a 110 weight wool tux from Joe Banks last season for a bit over $300. They had a lower-end model for $150 or so. I used to wear a tux at least once per month. Every man ought to own one (but it's kind of far down on the priority list if you have a limited budget).

Also, if you're going to buy a tux, learn how to tie a bow tie. If you're buying a tux, don't do that hokey regular tie crap. Stick with the classic bow tie. The wide necktie thing will eventually go the way of the ruffled shirt.

Also, a pair of plain black shoes (not wing tip) polished to a healthy shine is a must.

I think we're a little far afield with the tux discussion, but that's okay I guess.

Whoever suggested $300 for cuff links is out of his mind. You can get a good set for a lot less than that. Men's Warehouse or Joseph Banks will have a decent variety -- probably for under $50.00.

Karried
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm surprised that we haven't mentioned Ebay yet. I have found some incredible deals on formal dress and tuxedos ( although I don't think a tuxedo will be needed yet, we'll explore this more after your first big promotion! ha,ha) but anyway, you can get some serious deals on name brand clothing .. and yes, they are brand new, never worn...

Anyway, sounds like you will be very well dressed.. good luck.. remember though, attitude counts, shoulders back, be confident no matter what you are wearing, strut your stuff.. you're looking good! And, you da man! lol

OKLApi
10-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Get yourself a personal shopper. For around $100. they will go shop with you for the right stuff and they usually know where the sales are. I have a girl that is great. Let me know if you want her to call.

Midtowner
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm surprised that we haven't mentioned Ebay yet. I have found some incredible deals on formal dress and tuxedos ( although I don't think a tuxedo will be needed yet, we'll explore this more after your first big promotion! ha,ha) but anyway, you can get some serious deals on name brand clothing .. and yes, they are brand new, never worn...

Anyway, sounds like you will be very well dressed.. good luck.. remember though, attitude counts, shoulders back, be confident no matter what you are wearing, strut your stuff.. you're looking good! And, you da man! lol

Ebay might be okay for the odd piece. For assembling a wardrobe, however, ebay is going to fall short. You need to be able to make a concerted effort here. Ebay really doesn't allow for that.

Also, you'll end up with some very strangely shaped items. Make sure you know a good tailor.

y_h
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Whoever suggested $300 for cuff links is out of his mind.

I don't believe anyone suggested $300.00 for cuff links. I had suggested that you could pick up a good looking, quality watch for under $300.00. Elsewhere in the thread I had suggested adding a French cuffed shirt and some cuff links to the original poster's wardrobe, but never suggested a price. I agree that $300.00 is quite a bit over the top when trying to assemble a reasonably priced wardrobe. Macy's has some very nice, neutral cuff links for around $35.00.

ChristianConservative
10-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I got a 110 weight wool tux from Joe Banks last season for a bit over $300. They had a lower-end model for $150 or so. I used to wear a tux at least once per month. Every man ought to own one (but it's kind of far down on the priority list if you have a limited budget).

Would there be a need for a construction worker to own a tuxedo. You have to remember that not everyone is white collar like we are.

Also, if you're going to buy a tux, learn how to tie a bow tie. If you're buying a tux, don't do that hokey regular tie crap. Stick with the classic bow tie. The wide necktie thing will eventually go the way of the ruffled shirt.

I agree. The classic bowtie rocks!

Whoever suggested $300 for cuff links is out of his mind. You can get a good set for a lot less than that. Men's Warehouse or Joseph Banks will have a decent variety -- probably for under $50.00.

If you go back and read metro's comment, he suggested $300 for a good pair of shoes, not cufflinks.

Spartan
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Does anybody in the entire metro carry seersucker?

Midtowner
10-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Would there be a need for a construction worker to own a tuxedo. You have to remember that not everyone is white collar like we are.

I look at it like this: The cost of a rental is about $75. When you can actually buy a tux to own for what it costs to rent it twice, you're not doing yourself any favors by renting.

You might have a point with that construction worker example. I get caught up in my own world sometimes. I guess I start thinking that everyone has formal black tie events to attend, on further consideration, that's just not realistic.

If you go back and read metro's comment, he suggested $300 for a good pair of shoes, not cufflinks.

I've seen those kind of cufflinks at B.C. Clarks, etc., but I've never given them any serious thought. I only have a few french cuff shirts. My tux shirt is of course french cuff, but for general every day apparel, normal cuffs are perfectly acceptable.

As to Spartan's comment re Seersucker, it was everywhere this summer. I don't know how you could have possibly missed it. Generally speaking though, seersucker is like open toed shoes -- not to be worn after labor day (although I admit to violating this rule with impugnity). You probably won't be able to find any seersucker this time of year unless you look for it online on clearance websites.

Midtowner
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree. The classic bowtie rocks!

Forgot to say -- if one is considering a clip-on bow tie, one should reconsider.

Spartan
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
If it was everywhere this summer than I sure must be a RETARD.

Midtowner
10-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Question to mods -- is it okay to personally attack yourself?

HFK
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Well, I went with Dillards/Penn Square. They had plenty of selection, and I'm generally happy with the result, although they did try to play me into buying some fitted shirts. Dillards doesn't make them, of course: apparently they have a deal with a tailor starting at $88 per. I suspect that the commission on fitted shirts is pretty sweet: I said no twice and then got a sales pitch from another salesman whom I suspect was working in cahoots with the man that was helping me. It was a bit odd, like dealing with a car salesman, but I was firm and they relented.

Would I reccommend them? I don't think so: the pressure tactics irked me, and the salesman led me down the path to bust my budget wide open ($2300 including shoes, but only three shirts). No-one to blame but myself for that, but I did begin by mentioniing my budget, and then reiterated a couple of times while we were in the process. No one to blame but myself, of course, but I have a strong suspicion that they saw me coming and worked it for maximum commission rather than maximum customer satisfaction. I feel a bit stupid about the whole thing: usually I'm firm and, if neccesary, blunt when countering high-pressure tactics, but the newness of the experience caught me off guard.

Thanks to all who advised me.