View Full Version : Childhood Memories of OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RVeit
10-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I found this website while searching "Foreman Scotty" on Google. I would like to have a place for people who grew up around OKC to share their memories. I now live in Dallas but come back to the state often. I am 50 yrs old, so I grew up around OKC in the 60's and 70's. Here are a few of my memories from the sixties....

Personalities:
Foreman Scotty, Danny Williams, Bob Jenny (Anyone know if he is still alive?), and Ho-Ho The Clown

TV Shows:
Foreman Scotty, Auction With Ho-Ho, Tarzan (Did you know Cheeta is still alive!), Jungle Jim?, Bomba The Jungle Boy, Superman, Leave It To Beaver

Places To Eat:
O'Mealies Cafeteria (Remember O'Mealies?), Coit's, Del Rancho

Fun Places:
Wedgewood Amusement Park (The Best!), Frontier City,
Springlake.

I was on Foreman Scotty and Auction With Ho-Ho where my brother and I saved up Kitty Clover potato chip coupons and won a couple of the coolest toys on that show...Bean Bag Buccaneer & Submarine Sea Hunt (I have searched and searched for these games with no luck.)

Be Cool and BEAT TEXAS!!! :ou2

Karried
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Cool idea!

I didn't grow up in OK but I vacationed a few times at Lake Eufaula with my grandparents. I was pretty young so I don't remember many details.. They had a pond and lived on acreage near the lake. I checked the trout lines with my Grandfather really early in the morning and fished a lot.

I remember swimming in the pond from morning to night and I helped my Grandma in the garden. We had fried catfish, cucumbers in vinegar and fried okra. I remember nightcrawlers, 7-Up and crickets and I remember vivid storms, being really hot at night and the fireflies..

Pretty fun for a kid!

Pete
10-04-2006, 01:45 PM
RVeit, we are about the same age (I'm 46) so I share many of the same memories. Where did you go to high school? I went to Putnam City myself.

If you haven't seen it, I uploaded a bunch of old ads and such to my photo album:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/515

You'll also no doubt remember Molly Murphy's and there is an extensive website devoted to it:

Darren Stone's Molly Murphy's Memories Page (http://hometown.aol.com/stoneforst/stonemain/mollys.htm)

mranderson
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I found this website while searching "Foreman Scotty" on Google. I would like to have a place for people who grew up around OKC to share their memories. I now live in Dallas but come back to the state often. I am 50 yrs old, so I grew up around OKC in the 60's and 70's. Here are a few of my memories from the sixties....

Personalities:
Foreman Scotty, Danny Williams, Bob Jenny (Anyone know if he is still alive?), and Ho-Ho The Clown

TV Shows:
Foreman Scotty, Auction With Ho-Ho, Tarzan (Did you know Cheeta is still alive!), Jungle Jim?, Bomba The Jungle Boy, Superman, Leave It To Beaver

Places To Eat:
O'Mealies Cafeteria (Remember O'Mealies?), Coit's, Del Rancho

Fun Places:
Wedgewood Amusement Park (The Best!), Frontier City,
Springlake.

I was on Foreman Scotty and Auction With Ho-Ho where my brother and I saved up Kitty Clover potato chip coupons and won a couple of the coolest toys on that show...Bean Bag Buccaneer & Submarine Sea Hunt (I have searched and searched for these games with no luck.)

Be Cool and BEAT TEXAS!!! :ou2
Steve "Forman Scotty" Powell, Ed "Ho-Ho" Birchall, and Bob Jenny are all dead. Danny Williams is still alive and is insulting the airwaves on KOMA.

I also remember "Tarzan," "Superman," and "leave it to Beaver." I still watch the ole' Beav. Plus Wedgewood. I do not remember it well enough to rate it, however, Frontier City is nothing but a rundown eyesore now. Many people will disagree with me (and have) however, after seeing the major league theme parks, I know quality, and Frontier City is NOT it. Springlake is like Wedgewood. I do not remember it well enough to rate it.

O' Mealies (I think it is actually O' Mealy's, but can not remember) I remember well. The family came from Ponca City where we lived a couple of houses down. My brother would play with one of the sons, Jimmy. Plus Coits and Del Rancho. Coit's is where my former sister-in-law and I ate a lot. Del Rancho costs WAY to much for the quality (no different than anyplace else with steak sandwiches). And yes... Kitty Clover.

I also rememer "Gospel Singing Jubilee" Sunday mornings on WKY along with "Davy and Goliath," and "The Happy Goodman Family." Those were never miss. Plus "Miss Fran from storyland," and one with Jane Hall. Forgot the name. And the happiest memory of my childhood... TG&Y #411.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Those pic's are great...thanks for sharing..I definitely remember AMC, it was like the first discount store...and of course TG&Y, Judy N Jody's, and the original Mathis Brothers and don't forget, B.C. Clark's Anniversary Sale jingle around Christmas.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
You are right on O'Mealy's...we lived in Tonkawa before Jones, Ok and my dad said he knew some of the O'Mealy's in Tonkawa (60-62 time period). I know there was still one open in OKC like early 90's, it was so good...I wonder when it closed...and I swear less than 10 years ago I saw a Bob Jenny Snake Farm on old Rt. 66 somewhere east of Edmond...I wish I would have stopped...Yeah, I remember those Sunday morning shows especially David and Goliath...I usually had to go to church so I just watched before we left. Weren't we exposed to the BEST childhood, with those local tv personalities and good wholesome fun...I also remember when Wedgewood closed they said that the roller coaster..Tornado was disassembled and moved to an amusement park in Florida...I wonder if that is true?

Doug Loudenback
10-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi, Rveit! If you've not searched the archives, you'll find a lot of neat posts right up your alley (and mine, too)! Many of us like to go back to the future, or whatever!

It would be a nice project (Karried?) for a moderator to make a post containing nothing but "memories" links for quick access. Or, maybe a forum. Just thinking out loud.

writerranger
10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
LOVE those memories! We are about the same age so that all rang true with me. I have even posted here about getting on the Ho Ho Show with Kitty Clover bags.

One thing that I remember so well is when 39th Street was the "Northwest Expressway" of its day. Many of the popular restaurants were lined along 39th Street.

OKC was a great place to grow up and is still a great place to live.

------------

Pete
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Regarding 39th, I was at PC (just one mile north) towards the end of it's hay-day. This was the late 70's and before everything started sprawling out to Edmond and way out NW Expressway.

We'd go there every day for lunch and cruise on Friday nights. The Shakeys near the corner of Ann Arbor was a big hangout after football games, and there was also a Bonapartes drive-in and an Across the Street right there as well.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I moved to Bristow and then New Mexico before graduating high school but then attended OU in '74 and lived around OKC until '85...now in Dallas...I had friends at OU that went to PC...no matter where I've lived I always enjoy OKC...the first pizza I ever had at a restaurant was at the Shakey's on Peoria in Tulsa....I've been reading some of the stuff that SoonerDave and Mranderson and others wrote back around June 19-July 10 about Ho Ho and Foreman Scottie....I always remember Bob Jenny and those snakes...haven't heard many stories about him....I need someone to shake up my memories.....talking about restaurants over in that area ...there was My Pie Pizza??? not sure about the spelling...I think it was up closer to Lake Hefner.

Pete
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
One of my earliest OKC pizza memories was Shotgun Sams on May just south of 39th.

I remember they gave you a huge playing card instead of an order number: "Four of Diamonds! Pizza for Four of Diamonds!" :)

Also, remember loving Pizza Planet, particularly their crust.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I remember Shotgun Sam's too...AND the playing cards! I also remember, in college, going up to the OKC hockey games on "free" beer nights....those games were crazy!

Pete
10-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I remember Quarter Beer Nights when the Blazers played at the State Fair Arena, especially seeing guys with *huge* stacks of empty beer cups they'd be waving in the air.

And the organist was in a cage at one of the far ends of the arena that was far removed from any seating.

Todd
10-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Does anybody remember Giavanni's Pizza off MacArthur and 39th?

They had an old fashion out-house inside where you could go in and make long-distance calls for free while you ate.

Pete
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't remember that Todd and I thought I knew everything about that area. :) What was the approximate time frame?

On the NE corner of that intersection there used to be a little shopping area with a courtyard and small movie theater. Later, it became Keller's for school supplies and then sporting goods.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
In 74-75 I remember the beer being free and I do remember those tall stacks of cups, but I was thinking it was at the Myriad...I don't even know when they built the Myriad...I've been going back and reading some of the memories from 04/05 on this site....A permanant Memories forum would be cool

Todd
10-04-2006, 05:35 PM
For years there has been a Chinese place where it was located in a little strip mall. It may have set back from 39th and actually might have been on 43 or 44th street I don't remember if there was a little side street back there or not. Time frame would have been around 1984-86.

Todd
10-04-2006, 05:35 PM
It seems like there was a music store around the same area. Was it Warehouse music or something like that?

Pete
10-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Sound Warehouse was on the SW corner of 39th and McArthur for years. I think it's now a drugstore.

drumsncode
10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Wow, you guys are killing me with great memories.

My Pie Pizza was great, somewhere around 63rd and NW Highway.

Pizza Planet has one of my fondest memories. I had a pizza there the afternoon of high-school graduation. It was a very tough year, trying to keep the grades up, I was there with my best friend, the pizza arrived at the table, and "School's Out" by Alice Cooper started blaring on the jukebox. I felt like a gigantic weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

writerranger
10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Here's an interesting story......Remember Gary Hart? Former Senator from Colorado and presidential candidate? "The Monkey Business?" Yes, that Gary Hart. He went to undergrad at Bethany Nazarene College and met his wife, Lee, while attending school there. Anyway, I was watching Nightline back in 1984 and he was joking around with Ted Koppel about a Pizza Night fundraiser he had attended in New Hampshire. he laughed and said, "It was good, but not quite Ned's Pizza in Oklahoma City while I was in college." Later, a book about the 84 campaign came out and it went into great detail about Hart's college life in Bethany and how his hangout was his favorite pizza joint, "Ned's Pizza" on North May in Oklahoma City. I remember it well - it was on the west side of May at about NW 28th street or so, and the pizza WAS good. Down the street was one of the original-style International House of Pancakes. Both are now long gone.

----------

Pete
10-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Here's a My Pie ad from back in the day... I went to high school with the daughter of the owner:

http://www.pc78.com/images/My%20Pi.jpg

And a few others:

http://www.pc78.com/images/Shakeys.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/Shotgun%20Sams.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/Across%20Street%202.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/Split%20T.jpg

writerranger
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Those are great, Malibu!

-----

floater
10-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Godfather's was the chain we went to as family. I loved the Supreme and the commercials -- "an offer you can't refuse!"

We covered this in forums past, but anyway: I remember the smelling freshly baked bread in the Wonder bakery downtown. When I smelled the bread I knew we were downtown.

Some of my favorite times were spent at Crystal's Pizza on SW 74th and Penn after middle school band concerts.

Yeah, watching Patti Saurez. The anchor I probably saw most often was Jerry Adams. One of the first TV images in OK I remember was the Trusthouse Jewelers couple.

A lot of time was spent at Crossroads when it was raging -- huge crowds, lots of stores teens wanted to work at, like J. Riggins, Jeans West, Chess King. I took piano lessons there at one of the organ/piano stores. I can't believe Eastern Treasures is still there, and Spencer Gifts also has managed to stick it out. A cool place was the pet store next to Montgomery Ward.

RVeit
10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
You guys are good...the ads and pic's are incredible....think what we could do if all of this was organized into categories...I hadn't thought of the TrustHouse Jewelry people in years...loved those movies....still no one knows anything about Bob Jenny? Was he at the zoo in charge of snakes or what? I thought I remembered him being on Foreman Scotty but maybe I'm wrong.

Martin
10-05-2006, 06:30 AM
...all that vintage pizza talk reminded me of those old ads that said, 'come on over to peter piper pizza.

crystal's pizza was my favorite as a kid, i think i like their movie room the best.

oh... and how about farrell's ice cream parlor in crossroads mall?

-M

Lauri101
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
A lot of time was spent at Crossroads when it was raging -- huge crowds, lots of stores teens wanted to work at, like J. Riggins, Jeans West, Chess King. I took piano lessons there at one of the organ/piano stores. I can't believe Eastern Treasures is still there, and Spencer Gifts also has managed to stick it out. A cool place was the pet store next to Montgomery Ward.

Being of the same vintage as Rveit and many here - this thread has been wonderful.

Frederick's of Hollywood has also survived as one of the original Crossroad businesses. I was the assistant manager there on opening day of Crossroads Mall. Our most shoplifted item? Crotchless panties! lol

I graduated from Northeast HS, class of 73. We were bussed to NE - I should have been geographically assigned to Old Classen. We hung out on Classen a lot. Memorial Park was also a hot spot back then, especially on Friday nights after dark!

(sigh) Now I feel old.:eek:

Pete
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I remember Crossroads when it very first opened and as the first big mall (not counting Shephard Mall which was very different -- almost all local stores) it was a real sensation. It was the first time I had seen a big, enclosed mall like that.

I worked at Orbach's (another blast from the past!) at Crossroads the entire time I was at OU. It was downstairs near Dillards and on one side was Orbach's Varsity Shop and on the other was Record Bar. Record Bar would let us borrow any albums we wanted!

Isn't Le Mans still there? Remember when it had the indoor track (or was it bumper cars)?? Played lots and lots of video games at that place on "breaks". :)

Remember the Mexican place there called El Phoenix? We used to call it "El Kleenex" and thought it was terrible yet lots of people flocked there.

Pete
10-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I also remember when Penn Square was open-air and during Christamastime they had a little house in the center courtyard where you had your picture taken with Santa.

Besides Wards, the two big stores were John A. Brown and Rothschilds.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/pennsquare1.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/browns.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/roth.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/godfathers.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/orbachs1.jpg

Martin
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
lemans is still there but now called alladin's castle and they did have bumper cars. i'd forgotten about record bar... that's where i bought my first album! the mexican place was el fenix... i don't know if that's the spanish spelling of the word or if the owners just didn't know the right spelling! -M

Lauri101
10-06-2006, 05:17 PM
The open-air Penn Square was where I went on my very first date. He was a cheapskate - bought me a cherry limeade at Coits and then took me to Penn Square to "walk around".

He tried to kiss me and his breath was awful! OMG - that was 36 years ago and I can still recall it vividly.

We had just moved to OKC and he told my dad he was going to take me to the submarine races at Lake Hefner. LOL - dad and I both believed him!

I also remember shopping at Street's during their annual sale. I believe it was downtown.

Pete
10-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Yes, thanks for the correction... It was indeed El Fenix. There was also a Brown's in Xroads when if first opened which of course was later bought out by Dillards.

Regarding Penn Square, what was the name of the disco/club located there during the disco days that had a huge slide?? The name is on the tip of my tongue!

And of course, there was the infamous Michael's Plum which is where the Varsity is now at 63rd & Western. I remember at the very beginning it was "members only" and legitimately a little difficult to get in. They used to have lingerie modeling during the week as I recall.

Martin
10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
now i thought dillards was in crossroads from day one... wasn't john a brown's where sanger-harris/foley's/macy's is now?

i never knew there was a disco in penn square! that's hilarious. i'd bet my brother knows the name... not that he was into disco or anything. ahem.

this thread delivers. i love remembering all this stuff. -M

Pete
10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
There was a Dillards at Crossroads as well as a Browns when the mall opened.

But later, Dillards bought all the John A. Brown stores and they were all converted.

I think the Penn Square disco was Clementines -- it was a big scene for a while there.

Patrick
10-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I graduated from Northeast HS, class of 73.

Northeast? I graduated there in 1998, but for different reasons. As you may know now it's predominately a medical magnet school in the OKC District. I remember looking at the old year books from NE like back in the 50's and 60's....was surprised to see it used to be an all-white school.

Patrick
10-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Browns was where Macy's is currently located. Dillards later built their current 3 story building and sold the property to Foleys (May Dept. stores, at the time).

Martin
10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
patrick, i think you're wrong and malibusooner is right. my mom happened to phone tonight and i brought it up... apparently dillard's bought out brown's and briefly operated both stores. the 3-story section that is dillards didn't come later... in fact, according to my mom dillards (and perhaps some of the other original anchors) was opened before the rest of the mall was totally completed. -M

writerranger
10-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Browns was where Macy's is currently located. Dillards later built their current 3 story building and sold the property to Foleys (May Dept. stores, at the time).

One correction: Browns was located where the SW Dillards is today - as seen in the postcard. I LOVED their candy counter!

http://writerranger.zoto.com/img/30/5a8ec23f1085f93fc52956b3ee77f8a8.jpg

-------

Patrick
10-06-2006, 07:50 PM
patrick, i think you're wrong and malibusooner is right. my mom happened to phone tonight and i brought it up... apparently dillard's bought out brown's and briefly operated both stores. the 3-story section that is dillards didn't come later... in fact, according to my mom dillards (and perhaps some of the other original anchors) was opened before the rest of the mall was totally completed. -M

You're probably right.

Patrick
10-06-2006, 07:51 PM
One correction: Browns was located where the SW Dillards is today - as seen in the postcard. I LOVED their candy counter!

http://writerranger.zoto.com/img/30/5a8ec23f1085f93fc52956b3ee77f8a8.jpg

-------

Yeah, at Penn Square that is correct. Wards was always located on the SE corner of the center. Browns was at the SW corner of the center. Rotschilds was where Aspen Athletic Club and Pottery Barn Kids is currently located. Penn Square Bank was on the north side of the mall, which is now the mall....Men's Warehouse, Abercrombie and Fitch, etc. And the Macy's/Foleys location wasn't built until the 80's.

Pete
10-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Browns was awesome, the last of the really nice department stores.

In fact, until the 70's, Dillards was much more like Penney's than Brown's. They gradually upgraded their merchandise then went more upscale when they bought out Browns.

Back to Crossroads, when the mall opened Dillards was at it's current location. Browns was where Foleys (now I assume it's Macys) is now. And yes, there were two Dillards in the mall for a while.

Due to similar consolidations our here in Cali, there are lots of malls with more than one Macys.

Pete
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Here's some stuff on Shepherd Mall when it opened in 1964 (anybody remember those big umbrellas and the sidewalk cafes??):

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/shepherd64.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/shepherd642.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/shepherdinside.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory2.jpg

Lauri101
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Northeast? I graduated there in 1998, but for different reasons. As you may know now it's predominately a medical magnet school in the OKC District. I remember looking at the old year books from NE like back in the 50's and 60's....was surprised to see it used to be an all-white school.

When I was at Northeast, there were 20-30 white kids in our class, about 25% of what became the class of 73.It was a bit intimidating at first, but we all got along quite well. It certainly gave me a view of what it is like to be a minority.

We had the science center there - an experiment of the 70's. We traveled to Northwest Classen for sophomore level math, John Marshall for calculus and trig and Northeast had the science.

Who remembers painting the bridge?

Patrick
10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Back to Crossroads, when the mall opened Dillards was at it's current location. Browns was where Foleys (now I assume it's Macys) is now. And yes, there were two Dillards in the mall for a while.

Okay, that's what I thought. So the 3 story building was always Dillards. And Browns was where Macys is now.

Pete
10-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I never painted the bridge but remember it very well. Was extremely sorry to see it demolished.

And regarding OKC high schools, up until the early 70's Northwest Classen was all white and considered the "posh" school. They used to call them the "silkies" because they liked to claim they all wore silk underwear. :)

Then, of course busing changed everything. My oldest sister graduated Putnam City in '72 and I have a bunch of old newspaper clippings from that era regarding such bad racial tensions at Northwest and other schools that they played some of their basketball games during the daytime.

Saberman
10-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Sorry to get into this late.

Bob Jenny worked at the OKC Zoo, but was best known for his shows with snakes at Wedgewood amusment park out on N.W. Highway, by the drive-in.

Does anyone rember going to Napoleon Nash, that was the place to go in the "70's".

Pete
10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
OKC used to have a ton of great men's stores but almost all (except Harold's) have fallen prey to the big chains.

There was Orbachs, Rothschilds, Squire Shop, Napoleon Nash, Lathams, etc.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/napoleon.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/lathams.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/squire1.jpg

drumsncode
10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Napolean Nash, OMG. Wasn't there one near a TG&Y store around Portland and NW Highway?

I also remember a Kimberlings grocery store near there. It was where we bought food for decades. It finally closed, maybe in the 90's. I'll never forget them, because they had those "thumbprint cookies", full-size, for maybe 2 dollars a dozen. I would buy 3 dozen and rock my world.

Pete
10-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Napolean Nash, OMG. Wasn't there one near a TG&Y store around Portland and NW Highway?

Yes, it was actually facing Porland just north of the grocery store that was on the SW corner of 63rd & Portland.

And there was a bowling alley in that same center, just west of the grocery store on 63rd.

Saberman
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't remember one near Portland & N.W.Hwy. There was an Anthony's next to TG&Y at 63rd and N.W.Hwy accross from Butterfields, that was a great place to party.

I loved the Squire Shop, grew up in MWC, would drive cross town just to look

Saberman
10-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I remember that one now, before they built the bank and the parking lot.

drumsncode
10-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Sadly, I remember those places you mentioned. Guys, we are getting too old!

I remember those air-tubes in Anthonys next to that TG&Y. I entered a model-car contest at TG&Y when I was in the 8th grade. I still have that car somewhere.

I just remembered a place called, maybe, "Lakeview Country Club"? My parents would go there and take me once in a while. It was dinner, dancing, and a live band. I haven't thought of that place in decades.

Pete
10-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Lakeview? Are you sure you don't mean Sportsmans (which is still around).

There was a swimming club on or near the Candelwood lake... Later, Candlewood restaurant was built and now there's a senior center there.

Zuider Zee was in the same general area, long before Baptist Hospital became so huge.

Back to 63rd & Portland... Just talked to my friend that grew up right by there and he reminded me that the grocery store was first called Kimberlings but then became Consumers IGA. TG&Y was south of it in the same center, facing Portland. That's what later became Napoleon Nash.

The bowling alley in that same center (facing 63rd) was Coronado Lanes and Highlander Bowling was directly across from Baptist on NW Expressway (think it's Staples or Office Depot now).

And next to that, what is now Scholtzskys was Across the Street restaurant.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/candlewood.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/Highlander.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/zuider.jpg

drumsncode
10-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow, you reminded me of many other things back then. I'd have to ask my mother, but I believe Lakeview Country Club was different than Sportsman's. I've heard of both.

Those bowling alleys were our equivalent of getting dropped off at the mall, I guess. I spent my fair share of evenings at Highlander, playing the pinball machines. I can still remember the "pop" sound when you get a free ball. Things like that are important to kids!

Pete
10-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I can still remember the "pop" sound when you get a free ball

Wow, that reference triggered a bunch of great memories!

It's funny how something like that can immediately transport you back to a time and place that you had completely forgotten about.

I suppose that's the essence of nostalgia and why it's so important to many (like the people on this thread)!

I remember very clearly that the pinball machines and various games were on the left as you entered Highlander, at the front of the building. And I can still see the gumball machines on the right side of the foyer! Wow, the mind is a strange thing.

writerranger
10-07-2006, 11:49 AM
There was a swimming club on or near the Candelwood lake... Later, Candlewood restaurant was built and now there's a senior center there.

That was the Cabana Swim Club.....spent many a Summer afternoon there.

Malibu, Those old ads are great! Do you have a higher resolution picture of the Shepherd Mall directory listing? I would like to tweak my memory with what stores were where in the mall, but I can't quite read the print.

----------------------

Pete
10-07-2006, 12:40 PM
writerranger, I don't have a better res pic than that (it's from the Oklahoman archives) but here are some other scans of another directory listing from that same time:

And thanks for the Cabana Club reference. By any chance do you recall another swimming place just west of McArthur and somewhere near 50th that was called Twilight Beach (or similar)?

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory3.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory4.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory5.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory6.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory7.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/directory8.jpg

Patrick
10-07-2006, 01:11 PM
You guys all remember this? Wait, I think I see Todd somewhere in that pic.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/vintage/1890s.main.jpg

The Old Downtown Guy
10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Twilight Beach was off MacArthur and a major hangout for Putnam City High schoolers. It was a big sandy bottom pond with a sort of geyser in the center that was part of a privative filtration system. A little smelly in general but a good place to get a major sunburn. Having graduated from Capitol Hill HS, our only reason to go to Twilight Beach was to get into trouble.

A swimming pool that most of you will be too young to remember was the Paseo Plunge. The building was converted into a meat and poultry outlet in the 60's and they ran an ad on the back of the Sunday TV program insert in the Oklahoman offering 200 pounds of meat for 39.95 a month or something. But, it was a very cool swimming pool in its day since it was totally enclosed except for being open to the sky and it had two levels of decks around the sides for sun bathing, hanging out and concessions. It was a favorite spot of Danny Williams and his wife or girl friend. They always had great tans and Danny had perfected an excellent no-splash entry swan dive off of the high board which he executed in between suntanning sessions.

mranderson
10-07-2006, 04:33 PM
You guys all remember this? Wait, I think I see Todd somewhere in that pic.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/vintage/1890s.main.jpg

I remember it well. That building was Oklahoma City's first brothal, and I am the guy hanging out the open window.