View Full Version : Status of the Heartland Flyer?

writerranger
10-03-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd sure like to see Amtrak keep this route. Anybody here informed as to the latest?

---

The Old Downtown Guy
10-04-2006, 06:35 AM
I think it is funded for at least another year. Mayor Cornett has been working at the State Legislature to develop line item funding in the DOT budget for this important rail transit link to Fort Worth, but I'm not sure of his progress.

soonerguru
10-04-2006, 07:34 AM
The Flyer is safe for at least another year. Secretary of Transportation Phil Tomlinson worked out a deal with Texas to have Texas finance one half of the cost. Great job, Phil!

The state had to come up with $4 million (beyond the Fed money). Therefore, OK Legislature OK'd $2million and Texas put up $2 million.

Great solution to a route that benefits both states.

Luke
10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
So, it's not self-sustaining I take it?

John
10-04-2006, 12:31 PM

not even close. but it IS cool.

writerranger
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I would hate for the city to lose the Heartland Flyer. It's a cheap trip to Ft. Worth and seeing the small town charm between here and there is worth it all.

--------------------

soonerguru
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM

There is no transportation system that is self-sustaining anywhere. Name a highway that is self sustaining.

News flash: transportation is public infrastructure and requires public funding for upkeep and maintenance.

Patrick
10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
There is no transportation system that is self-sustaining anywhere. Name a highway that is self sustaining.

News flash: transportation is public infrastructure and requires public funding for upkeep and maintenance.

My thoughts exactly!

writerranger
10-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Excellent point. The same applies to public transportation within a city.

-----------

kevinpate
10-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I saw a press item recently that both Oklahoma and Texas are commiitting to keep the route. Sorry, don't remember which paper or the date, but it was within the last 2 weeks