View Full Version : License to use the name "Bricktown"?

AFCM
10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Lately, a lot of businesses, some of which aren't even in or near Bricktown, are using the name "Bricktown" in conjunction with their name.

First of all, I don't think anyone should be allowed to use the name "Bricktown" unless you're actually IN Bricktown. The above statement includes the poorly developed Lower Canal located near Bricktown.

Here's where I'm going with this. Bricktown is a special place, and I think a lot of businesses are bringing down the image of Bricktown by recklessly using the name for their own benefit. I think the City of OKC should consider copywriting the name (if they haven't already) and only license those in Bricktown to use the name.

This may be a dumb idea, but sometimes I like to ask, "What if...", just to humor myself. What are your thoughts?

Luke
10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I think it's a good idea.

But I remember seeing something about the name being public domain or something. So nothing can be done about those who want to misuse the name.

ksearls
10-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Luke is correct, there is nothing you can do to prevent the use of the name, however, the Bricktown logo is protected as are all Downtown district logos.

Kim

Midtowner
10-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Bricktown could combat this abuse by naming their 'approved' locations on their website. As it stands, the website is rarely updated, so if one were to research hotels near Bricktown, one might find the "Bricktown Guest Suites," (they rank #4 on a Google Search for 'Bricktown Oklahoma City Hotel.') which is located around SE 40-something and I-35.

floater
10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
And Bricktown OKC isn't the only Bricktown. There's a town in NJ and a district in downtown Detroit that go by that name as well.

jbrown84
10-02-2006, 12:09 PM
The above statement includes the poorly developed Lower Canal located near Bricktown.

You would never get away with that.

writerranger
10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I am in Plano now on business. They are having the exact same problem with The Legacy. It continues to grow and now those on the outskirts of the "new urban" Legacy district are riding on the "Legacy" name even though they are a couple of miles (or more) from the actual Legacy District, which, by the way, is quite impressive.

-------------

Centerback
10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I absolutely agree with you about the Legacy area writeranger. We stayed at the Marriot there earlier this year for a soccer match in Frisco. Absolutely beautiful community.

metro
10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I totally agree. This issue has been brought up numerous times before. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. like some said, the best you can do is educate people on the official Bricktown website and Association and they could have an official list of approved businesses.