View Full Version : I-240 and I-35 construction

ETL
09-29-2006, 09:15 PM
What is going in at I-240 and I-35? They are tearing down those old apartments and are boarding up those old homes.

Easy180
09-29-2006, 09:25 PM
I think Chesapeake finally made it down to the southside :spin:

Pete
09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
They will be completely reconstructing the 35/240 intersection and need the extra land to do it right.

ETL
09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
They just redid that area.

What are they going to put? Maybe something taller than 5 stroies.

Spartan
09-29-2006, 09:52 PM
That is a very poor, rednecky area of SE OKC. After all is Crossroads...

John
09-30-2006, 04:14 AM
They just redid that area.

What are they going to put? Maybe something taller than 5 stroies.

They just redid the 35 section, they're starting to rework the 240 part now.

aintaokie
09-30-2006, 08:25 AM
I beleive that the state was going to redo the area on the east side of I35 They were going to take out the Telephone road overpass that feeds into Crossroad Mall but everyone raised hell about the main entrance to the mall being closed off. So, the state decided to go to the west side of I35 aind take out the apartments and some homes to make way for the new interchange.

brianinok
09-30-2006, 08:27 AM
All they did to I-35 was make it 6-lane all the way through the interchange. My understanding is they will be doing they same with I-240 and creating fly-overs so that they get rid of the traffic problems associated with the cloverleaf.

mranderson
09-30-2006, 10:09 AM
That cloverleaf is really what I would call deadman's curve. Thank God there has not been a lot of fatalities on it. It is one of the most dangerous cloverleaves in the country.

Plus. That apartment complex. Good ridance. It was rundown and attracted mainly scum anyway. Plus those homes. The more gone the better.

I look forward to driving on the new interchange.

Martin
09-30-2006, 12:54 PM
they were going to take out the telephone road overpass that feeds into crossroad mall... actually, that's pole road, but you got the situation right. telephone road is on the other side of i-35 and goes no further north than nw 5th street in moore.

plus those homes. the more gone the better.while i agree that the homes in that area are an eyesore, i just wonder what housing options these families had after being paid fair market value for something with little value... especially those who may have lived there long enough to pay off their mortgages but may now be on fixed incomes... the same folks who barely afford their property taxes. i know, i know... me and eminent domain. -M

brianinok
09-30-2006, 01:05 PM
mmm, there might be one or two examples like that. But that is the good think about OKC, there is plenty of affordable housing in the area that is not slums. But, the vast majority of those houses were owned by slum lords, not occupant-owners.

ETL
09-30-2006, 01:19 PM
So this has nothing to do with Chesapeake?

Martin
09-30-2006, 01:21 PM
brianinok,

don't get me wrong, i think that this is a good use of eminent domain. the interchange absolutely needs to be overhauled as it is a major point of congestion and has safety issues. the project is definietly in the public's best interest. you're probably right about the number of slumlord-owned homes... i guess in the back of my mind, i'm looking out for the little guy. -M

mranderson
09-30-2006, 02:18 PM
while i agree that the homes in that area are an eyesore, i just wonder what housing options these families had after being paid fair market value for something with little value... especially those who may have lived there long enough to pay off their mortgages but may now be on fixed incomes... the same folks who barely afford their property taxes. i know, i know... me and eminent domain. -M

Eminant domain laws require the purchase of property at fair market value. Those people who sell can buy other homes or put the proceeds in an account asuing them of the ability to pay their lease.

BTW. Personally, I HATE that term "fixed income." I am on a salary, so that makes me on a "fixed" income.

SoonerDave
09-30-2006, 02:45 PM
The razing of apartments on the NW corner of the I-35/I-240 interchange has been pending for months. No matter how they redid the Pole Road situation, those old, decrepit apartments were doomed.

To answer someone else's postings, no, this has nothing to do with Chesapeake :)

BTW, this is a seven-year reconstruction project. I also think there is some plan to rebuild Shields as well, but I'm not sure.

-SoonerDave
(looking for OU-Texas tickets: email unchecked@cox.net)

Martin
09-30-2006, 02:47 PM
i am on a salary, so that makes me on a "fixed" income. not really. if you're a salaried employee, then you still have the ability to get raises for merit, cost-of-living, etc. the income of those living on retirement pensions or social security does not fluctuate... so, 'maw and 'paw may have been doing a-ok when they retired in 1984 but their income did not increase to match the cost of living increases since.

eminant[sic] domain laws require the purchase of property at fair market value.
true... and i even stated that in my original post. however, that same 'maw and 'paw may have been keeping their home far nicer than the others in the neighborhood. therefore their home's fair market value is going to comp far lower than something truly comparable... sure, they may find someplace to live with the proceeds of the sale, but it likely won't be as good as the property they were forced to sell. -M

OUman
09-30-2006, 03:06 PM
The razing of apartments on the NW corner of the I-35/I-240 interchange has been pending for months. No matter how they redid the Pole Road situation, those old, decrepit apartments were doomed.

To answer someone else's postings, no, this has nothing to do with Chesapeake :)

BTW, this is a seven-year reconstruction project. I also think there is some plan to rebuild Shields as well, but I'm not sure.

-SoonerDave
(looking for OU-Texas tickets: email unchecked@cox.net)

Yep, the Shields overpass is being expanded and widened and that intersection is being rebuilt right now. Should take another year or so before it's done.

Spartan
09-30-2006, 04:55 PM
So this has nothing to do with Chesapeake?

Didn't you hear? Chesapeake's moving their headquarters from Nichols Hills to.... Crossroads. It's going to be a 57-story tower.

mranderson
09-30-2006, 04:57 PM
actually, that's pole road, but you got the situation right. telephone road is on the other side of i-35 and goes no further north than nw 5th street in moore.

while i agree that the homes in that area are an eyesore, i just wonder what housing options these families had after being paid fair market value for something with little value... especially those who may have lived there long enough to pay off their mortgages but may now be on fixed incomes... the same folks who barely afford their property taxes. i know, i know... me and eminent domain. -M

Didn't you hear? Chesapeake's moving their headquarters from Nichols Hills to.... Crossroads. It's going to be a 57-story tower.

It is a long time until April fools day.:bow: (lol)

Patrick
09-30-2006, 08:52 PM

Nah, after Chesapeake bougt up all of Nichols Hills, they decided to start plowing into the south side. Plus, land was cheaper down south. Glad to see Crossroads Mall gone. That new southside Chesapeake campus looks great. Almost rivals their north campus, which covers 30 square miles.

Patrick
09-30-2006, 08:53 PM

I bet Valley View's population will increase a bit.

ETL
09-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Nah, after Chesapeake bougt up all of Nichols Hills, they decided to start plowing into the south side. Plus, land was cheaper down south. Glad to see Crossroads Mall gone. That new southside Chesapeake campus looks great. Almost rivals their north campus, which covers 30 square miles.

What do you mean that the mall will be gone?

Also, you are joking about the tower, right?

soonerliberal
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, nothing is happening to the mall right now. The tower idea is a simply a joke. The reconstruction of I-35/240 interchange is a long term project and will eliminate the cloverleafs leading from I-35 to I-240 and replace them with flyover ramps. The ramps going from I-240 to I-35 will still be cloverleafs.

ETL
09-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks! That will be nice!

Is there still a plan to a city loop?

Spartan
09-30-2006, 10:52 PM
No eastside, no "loop"...

I can scan a copy of the permit that is right here in my hand if you like.

ETL
10-01-2006, 08:21 AM
ok

OUman
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks! That will be nice!

Is there still a plan to a city loop?

There's a plan for a loop, but since it won't be needed for 10-15 years at least, it won't be built anytime soon.

Spartan
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Won't be needed? I hate that mentallity.

mranderson
10-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Won't be needed? I hate that mentallity.

I agree. Plan ahead because when that "need" arises, it will cause problems if we do not already have it.

BTW. How do you think cities like Los Angeles got so large? They planned ahead, for one.

OUman
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I only posted what I've read in the papers. Besides, Los Angeles isn't big because they built freeways, it's big because of population explosion. Building highways and freeways doesn't necessarily guarantee that a city will grow. Planning ahead can also mean making effective use of available space as well. And Los Angeles has its own share of problems too.

Midtowner
10-01-2006, 02:24 PM
We don't want to be anything like Los Angelas.

mranderson
10-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I only posted what I've read in the papers. Besides, Los Angeles isn't big because they built freeways, it's big because of population explosion. Building highways and freeways doesn't necessarily guarantee that a city will grow. Planning ahead can also mean making effective use of available space as well. And Los Angeles has its own share of problems too.

We don't want to be anything like Los Angelas.

First. I said THEY PLANNED AHEAD. Plus, you, as usual, missed the point.

Also. When saying "we don't want to be anything like Los Angeles," speak for yourself. There are people who DO want to be somewhat like Los Angeles. In addition, we already are. some are called gangs, plus markings on our police cars.

OUman
10-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't think those who want us to be like Los Angeles had gangs in their mind. And you not only said they planned ahead, your complete statement was "BTW. How do you think cities like Los Angeles got so large? They planned ahead, for one." To me, that says Los Angeles got big because they planned ahead. Doesn't make sense, because like I said, you can plan ahead and still not grow by making effective use of available space.

jbrown84
10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Are you seriously not picking up the sarcasm?

Deni
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Crossroads Mall is gone? Darn I dont go over south side enough. I need to find another ups and down store then to shop at, know any of those?

Spartan
10-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I agree. Plan ahead because when that "need" arises, it will cause problems if we do not already have it.

BTW. How do you think cities like Los Angeles got so large? They planned ahead, for one.

Anderson, we're starting to think alike I think. :053:

SoonerDave
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Does anyone have any renderings or drawings of the new interchange they could post?

Thanks,
Soonerdave

johnnyboyokc
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
spartan you seem to KIA (know it all) however i would love to know what you do......you seem to complain alot with no solution while we are constructing the city........do something before you complain...ha ha

Patrick
10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
spartan you seem to KIA (know it all) however i would love to know what you do......you seem to complain alot with no solution while we are constructing the city........do something before you complain...ha ha

Seems like all you've done since you registered on this forum is complain about other members.

OUman
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have any renderings or drawings of the new interchange they could post?

Thanks,
Soonerdave

I was trying to look for an Oklahoman article which had the actual planned layout of the finished interchange but wasn't able to find it. To give you an idea, it looks similar to the I-44/I-40 interchange. Only difference being that some parts of the cloverleaf will be kept at I-35/I-240 like mranderson said.

Flatlander
10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Go to ODOT/OK click on public meeting then click on Post public meeting info,scroll down and there it is.

Martin
10-04-2006, 09:33 AM
here's a direct link (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/post/i35_i240_interchange.pdf). thanks for the info! -M

okieopus
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh thank God, I can't wait for this. My commute is hell every afternoon because people don't know how to merge

davido
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Do you know what ODOT will do when the sun burns out?

--they will work on I-35 by candle light..

Spartan
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh thank God, I can't wait for this. My commute is hell every afternoon because people don't know how to merge

Are you on that on-ramp from 240 east getting onto 35 south?

OUman
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM

People don't know what the yield sign stands for, or they just simply ignore it like it wasn't even there.

Patrick
10-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Do you know what ODOT will do when the sun burns out?

--they will work on I-35 by candle light..

Once they get finished here in the next 20 years, widening everything
to 6 lanes, I fully anticpate them starting over, tearing everything back up, and widening to 8 lanes. Sounds like another 50 years of fun!

mranderson
10-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Once they get finished here in the next 20 years, widening everything
to 6 lanes, I fully anticpate them starting over, tearing everything back up, and widening to 8 lanes. Sounds like another 50 years of fun!

Good argument IN FAVOR of light rail. With light rail, they will not NEED to widen the freeway that soon.

Patrick
10-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Good argument IN FAVOR of light rail. With light rail, they will not NEED to widen the freeway that soon.
Trust me, they'll find some excuse to widen it!