View Full Version : Delmar Gardens

traxx
09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Reading over Doug's blog and I came across the Delmar Gardens/Wheeler Park entry. I have heard of these places and seen a few pics but I found Doug's blog of it interesting and new.

If the Canadian River hadn't flooded what might OKC be like now with Delmar Gardens? This place was created by a forward thinking man during the state's infancy. Just think if it had survived what other forward thinking people might have come to OKC and put their mark on it. We might be looking at a totally different city today with a totally different attitude.

From what I can see in the pictures Delmar Gardens was a well done development. I don't think in fify years anyone will be saying "I wish the Harkins Theater hadn't been destroyed by a tornado - that was a real piece of architecture."

When I-40 is moved and the land down there is opened up for development wouldn't it be great to resurrect Delmar Gardens or something like it? And to plant big trees and great foliage along the river to make it feel like it originally did instead of what the Army Corpse of Engineers made it into.

I just see this as huge potential.

Deni
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Speaking of I-40. I think that interstate has been that rough since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I mean even as a kid I remember bumping my way across downtown. I am so glad they are going to be moving it. cootos to OKC for finally getting the hint.

metro
09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
yeah, we've actually discussed this topic at length before. if you do a search for theme parks or Delmar Gardens, you might get some more information on what was said. Yes it would be great to resurrect Delmar Gardens!

ETL
09-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes, OKC needs something along those line, but we need to stay away from theme parks like Six Flags.

Patrick
09-29-2006, 06:24 AM
One thing you have to consider though....Delamar Gardens was in existence for less than 10 years......but, for that short period of time, it must've had a huge impact to be remembered still today.

Doug Loudenback
10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
One thing you have to consider though....Delamar Gardens was in existence for less than 10 years......but, for that short period of time, it must've had a huge impact to be remembered still today.

Delmar Garden/Wheeler Park is most definitely a gem in our city's history ... in my opinion.