View Full Version : City to fund master plan for downtown outdoor spaces

Pete
09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Master plan is approved by council

The Oklahoma City Council approved a $250,000 contract Tuesday with Denver-based EDAW Inc. to draft a master plan for improving streets, sidewalks and public areas throughout downtown.

The contract calls for plans to be drafted that will guide future creation of “streetscapes” including plazas, fountains, landscaping, historical markers and public art patio dining areas.

The area covered by the master plan is bounded by 13th Street, Interstate 40, Western Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard.

The plan is funded by the downtown tax increment financing district.

In recent years, the city has completed “streetscapes” along several major downtown corridors, including NW 10, Broadway, Sheridan Avenue and Main Street.

Midtowner
09-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I hope part of that is aggressive enforcement of city code. So many property owners in that area really have been letting their grass get out of control.

Pete
09-27-2006, 09:11 AM
I like the idea they will be putting together a comprehensive plan, as there are lots of smaller, dis-jointed plans under way or recently completed.

I also hope the plan has some real vision and some stretch goals, such as ambitious plazas and fountains. If it can be articulated and visualized, then we stand a good chance of getting people and corporations behind some of these projects.

jbrown84
09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Good. Exactly what we need.

Centerback
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Great News, I do find it unfortunate that we could not use a local group to draft the master plan.

HOT ROD
09-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Its about time.

But I worry - I hope the rather small $250K amount truly is for the PLAN and not the total budget for the project (of beautification). In other words, I hope we are paying the Denver firm $250K for them to help us develop a plan that we would appropriate future additional funds to build.

Otherwise, dont get your hopes up for OKC to become any OKC Beautiful.

I mean, its not rocket science. Why can't they figure it out?? Beautify the entry ways with trees and some civic landscaping. Beautify the inner city with fountains and park lands that contribute to the culture of the areas. Build some points of interests with world class landscaping that we could showcase Oklahoma heritage and its foliage.

Myriad Gardens is THE ONLY thing we have that anyone of us would take a tourist. This needs to change and I dont think the city paid me anything to say what I said above.

HOT ROD
09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Also, didn't/doesn't Tulsa have a program where they look for corporate/civic sponsorship for tree planting? and its been rather successful so much so that Tulsa changed their moniker from Oil Capital to City of Trees?

And we need to spend $250K for Denver to tell us?? What???

jbrown84
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Also, didn't/doesn't Tulsa have a program where they look for corporate/civic sponsorship for tree planting? and its been rather successful so much so that Tulsa changed their moniker from Oil Capital to City of Trees?

Up With Trees.

I actually think the Rose Garden area of Will Rogers is very nice. It needs some work but I would take a tourist there, if only for the fact that it shows we have GREEN.

Patrick
10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I found out this past weekend that we need more useable parks in our city. I was looking for a park to have my wife's birthday party at. Finding a park in OKC with useable picnic tables is a challenge. Outside of Stars and Stripes, the choices are limited. We need more pavilions and multiple tables at our parks. Also, many of our parks have nice playground equipment, but the landscaping is non-existent. We had the party at Lake Hefner Park right next to Paw Park. Useable picnic tables and nice playground equipment, but no restrooms, no grills, no water fountains, no landscaping, no flower beds, etc.

I think starting with improving our parks would be a good first step.