BricktownGuy
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2851205/?print=1

Karried
09-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow, wow, wow!

metro
09-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Interesting... I think by next year the NBA and Stern needs to announce a permanent team here Sonics or Hornets.

Easy180
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Potential bad news about the future of the Hornets staying here permanently...The Saints sold out their season tickets so it appears the city is in better shape than some have said

That would then point our arrow straight to the NW for an NBA team

Intrepid
09-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Potential bad news about the future of the Hornets staying here permanently...The Saints sold out their season tickets so it appears the city is in better shape than some have said

That would then point our arrow straight to the NW for an NBA team

I think it was always assumed that the Saints would sell out (at least the articles I read assumed that).

The big question is: Can the city support BOTH teams??

I still personally believe that the Hornets are going back. I don't want to believe it, and I hope that I'm wrong.

Karried
09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
There is a big difference in the commitment of a season ticket holder of a football team vs the NBA .. 10 home games (pre-season) vs trying to attend approx 40+ basketball games (during the week - sometimes 3 games a week). In other words, some people may be able to easily accomodate a Sunday-Monday schedule but compared to attending the NBA games is sometimes daunting. So, I think it is not a hard thing to sell out football season tickets..

I also believe the Hornets are going back to NO... I didn't want to believe it at first but I think that is the way it's going to play out... now I'm looking forward to possibly hosting the Sonics.. I will always love the Hornets.. but I'm trying to be realistic about it.

Shinn talks out both sides of his mouth.. this much I know for a fact. He is a business man through and through.. can't blame him, but he is saying what he needs to say to keep us all interested here in OKC.

Easy180
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
There is a big difference for sure, but have to admit being as selfish as I am I was rooting for the Saints season tickets to be down for their first year back

labbri_ardenti
09-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Shinn shot himself in the foot by trying to withhold profits from the city and an investment group that has helped take his team from the basement to a viable NBA contender. Frankly, he deserves to go back to New Orleans (from a lack of profitability standpoint), but moreover, New Orleans deserves to have their team back and have some hope of returning to normalcy. Not to say we don't appreciate the opportunity and the resulting attention having the Hornets here has brought us. But clearly Shinn is out for a buck - first and foremost - even if it means slighting the city that saved his backside. Bring the Sonics and let's move forward with a team and ownership that truly are "for Oklahoma City" for the long haul.

HOT ROD
09-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Shinn shot himself in the foot by trying to withhold profits from the city and an investment group that has helped take his team from the basement to a viable NBA contender. Frankly, he deserves to go back to New Orleans (from a lack of profitability standpoint), but moreover, New Orleans deserves to have their team back and have some hope of returning to normalcy. Not to say we don't appreciate the opportunity and the resulting attention having the Hornets here has brought us. But clearly Shinn is out for a buck - first and foremost - even if it means slighting the city that saved his backside. Bring the Sonics and let's move forward with a team and ownership that truly are "for Oklahoma City" for the long haul.

very well stated and correct.

Oklahoma City Sonics and Storm in 2007. :bow:

Patrick
09-30-2006, 08:54 PM
What, have you guys not noticed that a village in Louisiana is missing it's idiot? His name is George Shinn.

Midtowner
10-01-2006, 06:55 PM

These types of things go on in a LOT of big money relationships. Most often, there aren't hard feelings on either side of the equation, just honest opinions that they are owed money that the other side thinks they are entitled to.

The only way to figure these things out is through binding arbitration or litigation. Ultimately, I don't think that this will have an effect on whether or not the Hornets stay in OKC.

People don't get their feelings hurt over this type of stuff. They're either entitled to it or not. In the end, I'm sure both sides will be perfectly willing to live with the decision of whoever the contract says is supposed to decide such things (after their appeals run out of course).

Spartan
12-10-2006, 05:37 PM
What, have you guys not noticed that a village in Louisiana is missing it's idiot? His name is George Shinn.

Bingo.

SoonerDave
12-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Guys, brace yourselves for this: the Hornets are going back to NO, where they will fail, and the Sonics are going to end up not coming to OKC.

No, I don't know this for a fact, its just a reading of the tea leaves. I still think someone in a Seattle suburb is going to do an arena for the Sonics, Stern is going to force OKC back to NO, and we're going to have an empty arena again.

-SoonerDave

Karried
12-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Guys, brace yourselves for this: the Hornets are going back to NO, where they will fail, and the Sonics are going to end up not coming to OKC.

Well, now I'm thoroughly depressed. I'm off to jump off the nearest bridge.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you are wrong, no disrepect intended... but I hope eventually, we will have a team.. we're more than ready for it.

Jack Wonder
12-11-2006, 10:17 AM

I couldn't agree more! Shinn has damaged relations and insulted the city's capabilities to boot.

I'm not even blowing hot air either. Just look at attendence this season. We're down SEVERAL THOUSAND, and that can't be completely attributed to "the new being worn out".

People are fickle at that, and if we have this ambiance that the Hornets are leaving anyway, and a replacement's on the way.... well, my urgency to get down to the Ford Center drops.

SoonerDave
12-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I think the drop in attendance is more because their return to NO is seen as inevitable than because the new has worn off. Both elements, however, play a part in why attendance is down.

-SoonerDave

windowphobe
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
According to ESPN's handy chart, the Hornets are still 10th in the league in attendance, averaging a hair over 18,000.

venture
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
OKC is probably 3-5 years away from having an NBA team, if at all.

The Hornets helped to prove it could work here.
The Sonics are a test run for Bennett and his group to prove they can effectively run a team and make it work.

I expect Bennett to sell the Sonics in a few years, buy another team and move them to OKC if all works out. If not...its back to focusing on what this city wants.

Karried
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I think the drop in attendance is more because their return to NO is seen as inevitable than because the new has worn off. Both elements, however, play a part in why attendance is down.

I agree, on a personal level, last year I hated to miss even one game.. then something changed a bit for me... I started to really feel 'used' a bit by Shinn.. he said the right things but it started to seem more orchestrated, more an effort to encourage us to buy tickets. I still love the Hornets.. In fact, hubby and son are at a game tonigh.. I always will love them, but as far as supporting them financially so the team will be built up for New Orlean's enjoyment next year? Not so much.

Spartan
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I want to thank everyone for their key insight in this thread. (sarcasm)

But the Hornets are going back to New Orleans. Let's stick to the topic. There will be no third season, because Shinn, after admitting he worked around the clock to stay in OKC, said the other night at a game that he is resigning himself back to New Orleans for good.

The end. Meanwhile Citizens for More Important Things up there in Seattle was victorious in defeating the City of Seattle and Clay Bennett. They have said that if something comes to fruition in the suburbs, which they doubt as do I, that the powerful group will fight it.

jman253
04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Ok here is my 2 cents. I believe the Hornets will go back to NO. I believe the Sonics will stay in Seattle. I believe the Hornets in NO will fail miserably and then Shinn can say "Well we gave it a try and short of going bankrupt we now have to move back to a market that will support us like OKC". So therefore, I think we will have the Hornets back in 2009-2010.

Spartan
04-11-2007, 12:25 AM
There's about as much justifying New Orleans' viability as for Seattle's viability right now. New Orleans doesn't have support, Seattle won't extort. OKC's got both.