View Full Version : Bricktown Shootout: Triple A baseball championship

metro
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Did anyone go to last night's Bricktown Shootout. This was the inaugural year that both minor league's played together for a championship game. The Pacific Coast League and the International League. Tuscon vs. Toledo. Tuscon won. It was a good turnout 12,500 something in attendance. It was televised live on ESPN2. Glad to hear it will return to OKC for at least 2 more years.

Anyone else have comments from last night?

Easy180
09-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Should have went, but just never got around to it...I was wondering how it was going to do attendance wise...Glad to hear 12,000 others stepped to the plate...We need all the pro sports attention we can get

Midtowner
09-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Alright... after all of these threads on Bricktown violence, all you can see on the front page is:

"Bricktown Shootout: Triple..."

My mind completes the sentence: "Homicide."

Good thing I clicked to see what this was!

I really do enjoy the Bricktown Ballpark. It's a really, really nice facility. Being in the heart of Bricktwon, and with even more hotel space opening up around it in the near future, I can see it becoming a more permanent venue for this event.

bandnerd
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
One of our teachers went to this last night and had a ball. Hope to see it again next year!

And I, too, must confess that the title of the thread caught my eye, but not because I thought it was about baseball lol.

ksearls
09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I went last night and it was really, really fun! The weather was beautiful, the crowd was huge and the beer was a dollar. They had these inflatable entertainers called the Zooperstars that were hilarious; everyone is talking about them today. More people than I have ever seen at the Brick with the exception of Bedlam. It helped that there were tons of free tickets floating around.

We blew snow on the berm as a promotion for the Downtown in December tubing and the kids went ape crazy over it! It was a sight to see, all these kids in shorts and Crocs playing in the snow like they had never seen it before. They shut it down at the top of the eighth because the snowballs got out of hand.

Great night in Downtown!

John
09-20-2006, 05:34 PM
It was the Bricktown Showdown, btw.

It was a lot of fun. I'll post my review in a little while.

venture
09-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Good to see there is finally a thread on this, I was worried the "elite" of OKC here were completely ignoring this major sporting event. Its not every day OKC gets this exposure for sporting events...but it is becoming more common. Unfortunately had another engagement last night so couldn't go, even though I had tickets.

Really wanted to see the Hens win...grew up near their old stadium. Either way great game. The top AAA team in the land - Tucson and the back-to-back Champs of the IL...doesn't get much better. I'm just glad we didn't get blessed with Jamie Farr and his nose. :)

Would love to see it become a 5 game series like it use to be. The exposure would be great for the city, but would also give more of an opportunity to bring in outside visitors. I doubt many from Toledo or Tucson were able to make the trip for a mid-week game. Ah well...its bound to get better. Hopefully OKC is able to hold on to this as it will definitely become a major draw.

metro
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
John, your correct it was the BRICKTOWN SHOWDOWN, not sure why I put shootout. venture79 as I mentioned we at least have the event another 2 years, maybe longer. That should be enough to garner more interest and even better crowds next year. As far as your MudHens winning, they didn't pull it off but at least the PCL team one (Tuscon which is in our own division). The free tickets were limited though, they were only for one section and they made the public buy standing room only tickets for $6 or more. Not sure why they give away lower level seats free and then charge general admission for standing room only tickets. There was plenty of seating open the entire game.

jbrown84
09-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Someone remind me the capacity of the Brick. I was thinking it was only about 13,000.

metro
09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I think it's 14,000 something seated plus the hill and standing room, so that might add another 1000 or 2000.