View Full Version : Video of onside kick yesterday

Easy180
09-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey life goes on I just thought this video says it all about yesterdays officiating

http://russellarch.com/blah/OREGON.mov

The only gripe I have with OU is it looks like Patrick Allen just walked off with it...Hello dumba** run directly to the refs and show them the ball not slowly walk to the sideline :stars:

Karried
09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
If you feel the officiating was unfair.. here's a way to express yourself. LOL

http://www.petitiononline.com/OU3327/petition.html

Some of the comments are hilarious.. read it as 'tongue in cheek' ..

writerranger
09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Try this from the Oregonian newspaper:

Not to rain on the Ducks' parade but, Oklahoma got jacked!

Not only did UO's Brian Paysinger touch the ball first before it traveled 10 yards, but the Ducks didn't even recover the loose ball. Patrick Chung fell on it, but it squirted out and through the legs of another Sooner. Then, Oklahoma RB Patrick Allen recovered it.

What's truly pathetic is that when the umpire pointed to signal UO ball, he did so without even seeing a Duck with the ball because the Sooner had it 10 yards from the pile.

The video is hilarious. Ducks are jumping around. The umpire pulls bodies off the pile. Meanwhile, the Sooner with the ball is walking away with it. Then, the umpire signals Oregon ball.

One of the most comedic things I've ever seen in a sporting event.

But.....with the magic of technology, the officials had a chance to save themselve with a review.

But they blew that as well.

So, let's conduct our own review.

1) Illegal touching of the ball prior to it traveling 10 yards.

2) Oklahoma recovered the ball anyway.

3) Replay clearly shows the truth.

4) Ducks awarded ball. Ducks win.

Wow!!

This is wore than the the phantom pass interference call in the Miami-Ohio State national title game in Jan, 2002.

from: http://behindducksbeat.blogs.oregonlive.com/default.asp?item=183920

That was poor, poor officiating. Surely the Pac-10 will lay down some serious penalties against the crew. Of course, the replay booth official is already spending his money and couldn't care less. Just kidding. (Or am I?)

writerranger
09-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey life goes on I just thought this video says it all about yesterdays officiating

http://russellarch.com/blah/OREGON.mov

The only gripe I have with OU is it looks like Patrick Allen just walked off with it...Hello dumba** run directly to the refs and show them the ball not slowly walk to the sideline :stars:

That video was produced by an Oregon fan that showed an officiating error in Oklahoma's favor! That wasn't either of the disputed calls that won it for Oregon. Did the site owner switch videos? All I can say was better said by the Oregon columnist in the post right above this one.

----------

Midtowner
09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Try this from the Oregonian newspaper:

Not to rain on the Ducks' parade but, Oklahoma got jacked!

Not only did UO's Brian Paysinger touch the ball first before it traveled 10 yards, but the Ducks didn't even recover the loose ball. Patrick Chung fell on it, but it squirted out and through the legs of another Sooner. Then, Oklahoma RB Patrick Allen recovered it.

What's truly pathetic is that when the umpire pointed to signal UO ball, he did so without even seeing a Duck with the ball because the Sooner had it 10 yards from the pile.

The video is hilarious. Ducks are jumping around. The umpire pulls bodies off the pile. Meanwhile, the Sooner with the ball is walking away with it. Then, the umpire signals Oregon ball.

One of the most comedic things I've ever seen in a sporting event.

But.....with the magic of technology, the officials had a chance to save themselve with a review.

But they blew that as well.

So, let's conduct our own review.

1) Illegal touching of the ball prior to it traveling 10 yards.

2) Oklahoma recovered the ball anyway.

3) Replay clearly shows the truth.

4) Ducks awarded ball. Ducks win.

Wow!!

This is wore than the the phantom pass interference call in the Miami-Ohio State national title game in Jan, 2002.

from: http://behindducksbeat.blogs.oregonlive.com/default.asp?item=183920

That was poor, poor officiating. Surely the Pac-10 will lay down some serious penalties against the crew. Of course, the replay booth official is already spending his money and couldn't care less. Just kidding. (Or am I?)

Contrast that with the reaction of the Oklahoma media. They seem to be of the opinion that we should have lost. It's really exasperating that our own media are afraid to question the officials while the team's media who benefited from the error (or fraud?) isn't afraid to do so.

My guess is that these officials will receive some sort of private reprimand and be officiating games next week. I recall the UCLA game last year where the officials seemed to be making a lot of questionable calls against OU.

This is almost as bad as some of the calls against OU in the OU-TX game in the 80's, or the infamous Taurean Henderson play of last year.

We don't get no respect :(

metro
09-18-2006, 12:39 PM
All I'm saying is we got jacked. Stoops needs to file a police report in Eugene, Oregon for theft!!!! To think with today's technology and the introduction of bringing play reviews in this year (the thing they were trying to prevent) and we still get two bad calls that cost us the game and perhaps a National Title chance. : (

Midtowner
09-18-2006, 12:43 PM
With a team that can't convert 3 1st and goals into something better than 3 points against Oregon's iffy Defense, we weren't going to the NC game anyhow. At least not playing like that. We didn't deserve those two calls, but we probably didn't deserve to win giving up 500+ yards either.

soonerliberal
09-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Regardless of whether we should have one or Oregon should have won, there will be serious debate on the effectiveness of the replay system.

If you cannot get it right even when the commentators are saying over and over there is more than enough conclusive evidence with every camera shot, why have a review system? Maybe we are all spoiled and expect perfection, but those were two pretty simple and obvious calls they screwed up on when the game was on the line.

I suppose it will all end well due to AD getting Heisman numbers and his biggest competition getting 3 interceptions and beat up by Michigan.

Martin
09-18-2006, 02:00 PM
i couldn't understand how the refs could be looking at the same footage and arrive at their conclusion... twice. i really enjoy college football, but it is just a game... that said, though, i'd love to see those refs publicly review the footage and point out where in it that gave them evidence to call the plays the way they did. -M

Easy180
09-18-2006, 02:09 PM
What says it all is the Oregon radio announcers said on air after seeing the replay that the game was over

You could bring in someone that has never seen a football game...Explain to him that the kicking team can't touch the ball before 10 yards and he would make the right call

Martin
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
just to beat a dead horse, i just read this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2592074) on espn.

apparently there is some justice in the fact that the officiating crew has been suspended for one game given their mistakes. -M

MadMonk
09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I heard that the PAC-10 Commisioner has issued an apology for the ref's ineptitude and that they have suspended those refs responsible.

IMO, that's about all you can ask for at this point.

HOT ROD
09-19-2006, 12:16 AM
While I agree that the officiating and replay review was atrocious in this game, I have just one thing to gripe about:

Why the HELL did Stoops elect to run the ball with Peterson during the last 25 seconds of the game instead of throwing a few passes???

1) it was noted that he wanted A.D. to get them in the centre of the field; BUT didnt he realize that the kick would have been low (and blockable) from that far away

2) even if you are thinking conservative and want to be in the middle, couldn't you throw pass patterns that are in the centre?

3) o, and lest us not forget - throw a pass and we miss, the clock stops.

4) heck, we could have scored a TD - a few attempts at the endzone would have done something.

I say, Stoops must have given up on this game. Yes the officiating was terrible and surely the media wanted UofO to win the game. But, I say - OU Football is just under professional (especially with the expectations) yet we didn't necessarily play like we deserved to win now did we?

Easy180
09-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Hot rod you are right...The only thing I can think of is Stoops was out of it after the onside kick debacle...couldn't have been thinking clearly with that series of plays...I can understand because I know our group watching the game was in a daze at that point

writerranger
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Offensive Coordinator Kevin Wilson calls the plays. Stoops is seldom involved in play calling. Exceptions include fourth down calls. With that said, the calls were horrible. Couple that with the poor defensive play and no, OU didn't deserve to win anyway. But those replay calls by the officials were the worst I've seen in years.

----------------------

Karried
09-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm so hoping that OU fans aren't really calling in death threats to the elderly official who blew it on the replay .. oh my God.. talk about embarassing.. I'm hoping and praying that isn't true. As upset as everyone is..

I hope the fans can still exhibit some class.. if not, this will take us back so far!

writerranger
09-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm so hoping that OU fans aren't really calling in death threats to the elderly official who blew it on the replay .. oh my God.. talk about embarassing.. I'm hoping and praying that isn't true. As upset as everyone is..

I hope the fans can still exhibit some class.. if not, this will take us back so far!

You're so right.

Football is just a game, until you're on the clock
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
The Oregonian
Canzano: Official wasn't shown all replays shown on TV

The seventh threatening telephone call at Gordon Riese's home came a few minutes after eight o'clock on Monday morning. It was from an Oklahoma fan who told Riese, the Pacific-10 Conference replay official from Saturday's Ducks-Sooners game, he was going to fly to Portland, find the family home, and kill Riese and his wife.

"I called the police," said Riese, 64, "then, I unplugged the phone."

The deputy who arrived to take the report assured Riese that murderers don't typically alert their victims before flying in from out of state to commit the crime. Then, the deputy added, "Maybe you should leave town for a couple of days, if it makes you feel better."

Football is a game, you're thinking.

Right up to the point where an Oregon player touches an onside-kick attempt a step too early, turning the scramble for the ball into a melee where players are rushing the field celebrating, and the ball is squirting through everyone's legs like they were wickets in a human croquet match. Then, the officials on the field blow the call. Then, the review process, instituted to rectify situations just like this, upholds the bad call, causing many of us, including some self-important university president at Oklahoma, to wonder, "Was Mr. Magoo in the replay booth?"

Well, no.

It was Gordon Riese in the booth. He has a name, he has a life. And after visiting with him on Monday, and learning more from some others about what happened in that review booth, I'm convinced that every honk who criticized Riese in the last 72 hours owes the man a swift apology.

Said Riese: "I'm having a difficult time letting the blown call go. I always prided myself on getting it right. I didn't get the job done. I didn't get it right."

More on the blown call later.

First, you need to know that Riese met his wife, Susan, while they were students at Wilson High School. They had a math course together, and after an extended illness put her behind in school, the teacher assigned Gordon to be her tutor.

They've been married 42 years, had two children, and two grandchildren -- Jeff, 5, and Alex, 4. And you should know that Gordon's real job was teaching math at Benson and Gresham high schools for 34 years.

Until his retirement from on-field officiating two years ago, Riese was well respected. He worked Rose Bowls and Fiesta Bowls. When you officiate for three decades, you come to understand that you're going to make some mistakes. He just doesn't like making them, which is why he was one of the good ones.

In 1982, during the Cal-Stanford "Big Game," Riese was working as the line judge. He was running alongside the play during the wild finish, and should have been in position to see the fifth lateral, which appears to be forward. Ask Riese about it and he'll tell you that he was out of position. He'd mistakenly headed to the goal line, where he was swarmed by the Stanford band, and couldn't see the lateral.

Two years ago, after he'd retired, the conference talked him into the replay booth because it wanted someone familiar with the rules up there.

"It's a different pressure being in the booth versus being on the field," Riese said. "It's a whole different ballgame. Haven't learned to deal with that kind of stress."

Riese, who is paid $400 a game to work the replay booth, said he knew almost immediately that the call was blown. He called it "instinct." He'd looked hard at 10 plays during the game, stopped to analyze five of them, and overturned three of those five on-field calls, getting them right. But it was that terrible onside kick that he replayed in his mind, and agonized over as he drove his brown Toyota van the two hours back to Portland after the game.

Said Riese: "I was so unsettled, I probably shouldn't have driven."

When Riese arrived home, he discovered his wife had videotaped the game, but he couldn't bring himself to watch it. He already knew what would be on the tape. So Riese just sat on the sofa in a daze until the newspaper hit his driveway, and the sun came up. You should know, the man everyone is pinning this loss on didn't sleep after the game.

"We're so worried about his health," Karen Jackson, Riese's daughter, said Monday as her father and the rest of the crew was handed a one-game suspension by the conference. "Dad has high blood pressure and right now we can't get his diastolic under 100."

Nevermind that the on-field officials blew the call. Nevermind that Oklahoma's defense allowed Oregon to score two easy touchdowns in 26 seconds. Nevermind that there were other blown calls on the field, including a couple of bizarre play-clock issues, and a thousand on-field plays, and calls by both coaches, that could have altered the outcome of this game a hundred different ways.

Nope.

It's Riese's spleen the country wants.

So let's give it to them. But first you should know that Riese didn't see the ABC television feed that viewers watched at home, which you, your spouse and your children know showed an Oregon player touching the ball before it traveled the required 10 yards. And you should know that Riese will not talk about specifics on the call, but said: "My supervisor knows what happened up there and that's all that matters."

A source in the replay booth on Saturday said that Riese found himself crunched for time, pressured by television and the on-field referee for a rapid decision, and there was such a delay in getting the video feed to Riese that he never even got to properly review the play.

The Pac-10's coordinator of football officiating confirmed that Riese didn't get all of the replays that ABC was providing.

With all the cameras working the game that one half of the country was watching, Riese saw only a single frame of video, the source said. The angle was bad. But it appeared to show an Oklahoma player touching the ball with his helmet before it hit the Oregon player. (From other angles, clearly, it hits the Ducks player first.) With no other video immediately available, and television waiting, Riese did what he's told to do when he's out of time and has no conclusive evidence.

He upheld the call on the field.

The university president wants this to go down as a no-contest. Some Oklahoma fans want retribution. Some conference officials just want this to quietly go away because it smacks of a serious problem with the replay process. And what we're really probably entitled to any regular American fifth grader would tell you is a playground do-over.

Adults don't do those things, though.

Kill the umpire, right? Zebra hunt?

This is probably a good time to remind ourselves that sports isn't war. It's not life or death. College football is supposed to be a pleasant, passionate weekend diversion, void of death threats for sure. There's just something that doesn't feel right about villifying Riese, especially after further review.

John Canzano: 503-294-5065; JohnCanzano@aol.com; to read his Web log, go to www.oregonlive.com/canzano Catch him on the radio on "The Bald-Faced Truth," KFXX (1080), weekdays at 5:25 p.m.

©2006 The Oregonian

Easy180
09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Death threats no...But there is no feeling sorry for the guy in my mind...He had tons of experience and it is a lame excuse saying he was pressed for time...It will die out over time and people won't even remember his name

Sure it is just football, but he knew the responsibilities and importance of a review official before he signed the contract

And the argument that OU didn't play well enough to win is absurd...Like Stoops said today...Oregon couldn't stop OU either so give us a possession we didn't deserve

Midtowner
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
^I agree Easy, that's an absurd argument. Did I make that argument? Thinking more about it, had that call not gone the wrong way, we win, end of story.

We could have done other things to not be in that position, but that's really pretty irrelevant.

I do hope the guy retires, and if he's offering his spleen, I'll take it.

MadMonk
09-19-2006, 03:59 PM

Surely that can't be happening...we're far too "urban" for such nonsense!

PUGalicious
09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Surely that can't be happening...we're far too "urban" for such nonsense!
:LolLolLol

writerranger
09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Hey, I agree - but we do need to keep things in perspective. But on a football note, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that Oklahoma's defense was cr*p. They shouldn't have even beein in the position to allow a couploe of bad calls to decide the game. Look how much yardage OU gave up! It's hardly absurd to admit that Oklahoma (while they should have won - without the bad call) played like cra* defensively. Hardly a top 25 team......

the pledge
09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
OU football fanaticism, particularly among the ranks of the ever-expanding trailer trash population of Oklahoma, is perhaps the most hilarious yet embarrassing part of living in this state.

'Then again, maybe Boren is simply following presidential precedent at Oklahoma. It was OU prez George Cross who once explained to the state legislature a need for more funding because, "I would like to build a university which the football team can be proud of." '

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2594247

I feel for those legitimately attending or having successfully graduated from the University, otherwise, the hysteria is simply great comic relief for the rest of "us." It's football, and if watching OU football is your life, certainly to the point of making death threats, it's time to re-evaluate some things...

Easy180
09-20-2006, 08:11 AM
writeranger...hardly a top 25 team??...went into one of the toughest places to play in the country against a team that should have received a BCS berth last year and essentially beat them...Oregon is a good football team with a good offense so it's not just bad defense

The pledge...Wow you burned us...Imagine discussing this on a sports forum...Please continue on with your passion for stamp collecting and ignore all of us fanatics that enjoy college football

Midtowner
09-20-2006, 10:14 AM
OU football fanaticism, particularly among the ranks of the ever-expanding trailer trash population of Oklahoma, is perhaps the most hilarious yet embarrassing part of living in this state.

'Then again, maybe Boren is simply following presidential precedent at Oklahoma. It was OU prez George Cross who once explained to the state legislature a need for more funding because, "I would like to build a university which the football team can be proud of." '

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2594247

I feel for those legitimately attending or having successfully graduated from the University, otherwise, the hysteria is simply great comic relief for the rest of "us." It's football, and if watching OU football is your life, certainly to the point of making death threats, it's time to re-evaluate some things...

It's not "life." But do some of us feel that something which we care about was wronged? Sure.

Things that are wrong, corrupt, etc. usually get my attention. This event is an example of such a thing.

No, I have no degrees from OU. I have one from UCO, and am now pursuing a J.D. at OCU. Attending the University of Oklahoma was never something I got around to. I guess that you can count me among the 'white trash' contingent who never attended OU...

I was raised on a steady diet of OU football. My father has two degrees from there, and he took me to every game for several years as a child. For what it's worth, I also keep track of the UCO football team (who is piddling along at 1-2) and attend those games when I can get away for them.

As for Oklahoma State? I have no connection other than that one of my younger brothers is an alumnus. I've gone down there for fraternity related stuff (partying, etc.), but I've never really followed their athletics.

I can say I pull for Oklahoma State in their athletics and academics. They represent this state well an a national level with their stunningly high number of NCAA and Big XII championships in non-football sports. They are also an excellent school as far as academics go. My hat is off to them.

My relationship with the schools and their teams is just vastly different. I, like many OU fans have established my relationship with their athletic program through means which I consider to be just as valid as having the OU sheepskin on my wall. It could have just as easily been Oklahoma State, but my father didn't go there, and he didn't take me to those games.