View Full Version : What is legal marriage to you?

rxis
09-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Is legal marriage just a traditional ritual?
Is legal marriage important to you because of its a religious ritual?
Is legal marriage something that became locked into the systems of government?
Is marriage still a method used to keep people in their own class? (still occurs)
Is marriage still a way of transferring ownership of women? (ppl still do)
Is marriage a tool of capitalism? i.e. "diamonds are forever", wedding services
A romantic need?

Just fishing for some fresh ideas.

I think it is now just a traditional practice.

Karried
09-17-2006, 07:06 AM
I think marriage was originally implemented so that children would be provided for and the wife would have financial support.

But now? ' We can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan... " lol so I'm not sure why we all get married now ha,ha..

Personally, I fell in love and couldn't imagine not being with this person.. and yes, tradition dictates in most cultures that marriage is the next logical step.

Midtowner
09-17-2006, 08:07 AM
It's a public statement of lifelong devotion to your significant other. It does contemplate economic and familial ties. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with raising children since children are not a necessary component of marriage.

Karried
09-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Good point.

mranderson
09-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Techically, legal marriage is as follows.

Two people of opposite sexes, who are unmarried at the time of the ceremony. The official says the following: "I now pronounce you husband and wife (varies slightly due to title of official, however, these are the only words required)." The couple, official and two witnesses sign the license.

That is all that is required to legally marry. The rest is tradition, custom and ritual.

bandnerd
09-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Legal marriage, to me, is the civil joining of two people who wish to combine their financial assets with vows to each other. It's a promise of love, caring, and mutuality. I don't know if mutuality is a word but it sounded good.

Children are not required, sex does not matter. All that matters to me (and this is only opinion) is that the couple love each other and show devotion to making the other happy while combining their lives into one.

ChaplainMark
11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
The question "what is legal marriage" could perhaps be misleading. The definition of a "legal" marriage varies by state, country, and era. The definition of "marriage" varies with these same descriptors, but adds in the multiplicity of the world's various religions.

What does that mean? What makes a "Legal Marriage" in Oklahoma is not the same as what constitutes a "Legal Marriage" in other parts of the world.

rxis
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Thats why I asked, "What is legal marriage to you?".