View Full Version : Do You Realize?

ksearls
09-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Do you realize that the Flaming Lips are amazing and we are so lucky to call them ours!

Thank God Wayne Coyne uses his powers for good, not evil!

If you missed the show tonight, I am sorry!

Kim:k-bunny:

bandnerd
09-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm sure this is all I'm going to hear from my students on Monday lol. I'm not a big fan, but hey, I love to see bands from Oklahoma do well!

Luke
09-16-2006, 09:25 AM
A few of my students went and left early. Apparently, they weren't impressed with all the swearing (it's not creative) and they also didn't like the fact that they started badmouthing the president.

Midtowner
09-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Oklahoma bands? Don't forget Hanson.

M-woppalicious.

How blessed we are!

ksearls
09-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Yep, that right to free speech really rubs some people the wrong way.

okcpulse
09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Please don't mention the Hansons. Ughhh...

bandnerd
09-16-2006, 10:54 AM
mmmbop ba dup ba dop ba...who gives a ...? lol

My students don't really care about the swearing and president bad-mouthing. The band has the right to do that. But the kids have the right to leave, too.

Isn't it nice how that works?

wsucougz
09-16-2006, 03:23 PM
That was the best live show I have ever seen. The UFO was incredible.

BDP
09-16-2006, 05:28 PM
they also didn't like the fact that they started badmouthing the president.

Your students were in the minority for sure. It's so sad that when someone is critical of this president, his apologists say it's "bad mouthing". No doubt these whiners complained loudly and often about Clinton, justifiably so, but, of course it wasn't "bad mouthing" then. It is not only a right to criticize the government, in a democracy it's your duty.

Maybe it's that attitude of his apologists that causes such "bad mouthing" to be met with such enthusiastic applause, as it was last night. Even though, he didn't really even bad mouth him and was trying to downplay the protest interpretations of one of their songs. But, of course, you gotta handle this president with kid gloves or someone will have a hissy fit.

It's also funny that they thought the use of a few words undoes all the creativity that is going on. Their shows are definitely some of the most creative around.

Anyway... the Lips once again put on a great show. Their Oklahoma work ethic always resulst in great and entertaining events.

soonerguru
09-16-2006, 07:21 PM
One of the best live shows I've seen anywhere. The Lips have been completely unpolitical in their content for the entirety of their career. I once remember Wayne saying in an interview: "We don't talk about politics because it just makes half of the audience feel bad."

Well, it just goes to show how terrible Bush is to get EVEN WAYNE COYNE to rip him in public. And, Wayne's ratio wasn't quite correct: Clearly a LOT more than half of the audience agreed with him!

It was a truly great show.

keving
09-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes, great show! That was the first show using the UFO so we got to see something new happen.

I also saw them play in front of the Queen Mary in Long Beach for the All Tomorrow's Parties music festival 2 years ago. That was the best show I have every been to! Plus, I talked to Wayne before the show. He was standing out front of the QM and we chatted it up for about 15 minutes. Very down to earth guy!

PUGalicious
09-17-2006, 05:03 AM
Your students were in the minority for sure. It's so sad that when someone is critical of this president, his apologists say it's "bad mouthing". No doubt these whiners complained loudly and often about Clinton, justifiably so, but, of course it wasn't "bad mouthing" then. It is not only a right to criticize the government, in a democracy it's your duty.

Maybe it's that attitude of his apologists that causes such "bad mouthing" to be met with such enthusiastic applause, as it was last night. Even though, he didn't really even bad mouth him and was trying to downplay the protest interpretations of one of their songs. But, of course, you gotta handle this president with kid gloves or someone will have a hissy fit.

It's also funny that they thought the use of a few words undoes all the creativity that is going on. Their shows are definitely some of the most creative around.

Anyway... the Lips once again put on a great show. Their Oklahoma work ethic always resulst in great and entertaining events.
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Very well said.

Luke
09-17-2006, 06:10 AM
As mentioned, those students had every right to leave and they did. Had the Flaming Lips said something positive about Bush, some of you might have been upset and perhaps would have even left. Goes to show how divided this nation is.

As an aside, I think it's unfortunate that the two major stages for debate (television and internet) have been taken over by loud mouthed mud-slingers on both sides. There is no gentleness or respect. If only people had empathy we would get a lot more accomplished for America rather than one side or another.

Karried
09-17-2006, 07:01 AM
What exactly was said? Does anyone know verbatim? And what was the song in question - lyrics? I'm wanting to know about this story...

soonerguru
09-17-2006, 10:55 AM
The song prefaced with Coyne's comments was "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song."

Wayne introduced it by saying it's a bit of a protest song. He said many things, but among them, "We hate Bush." That's all he said that was remotely political.

Apparently, the vast majority of the audience shared his sentiments, as evidenced by the might cheer that erupted when he made the comment.

Not a very big deal. He didn't say anything like, "Bush sucks" or "Republicans blow" or any other such thing.

keving
09-17-2006, 11:13 AM
As Wayne has stated on their website (http://www.flaminglips.com/) of the THE YEAH YEAH YEAH SONG (WITH ALL YOUR POWER), "This is one of those songs that points the finger at the pettiness of those in power but also points the finger back at ourselves - what would YOU do? Power in the hands of the inexperienced (which is what we would be) is very dangerous..."

ksearls
09-17-2006, 11:39 AM
OK, I am old and have been to gazillions of concerts in my life. This was the biggest love-fest I have ever witnessed at a concert. I really did not consider what the Lips said to be "bashing" at all. It's too bad that some picked out one comment and missed the entire message of the show, which was peace and love and appreciating life.

Wayne even encouraged the crowd to take a moment and tell those they were with that they loved them. Can you imagine the reaction if like Toby Keith or Korn said that?

In the spirit of the giant hands (if you were there, you know) let's talk about what a great talent OKC has in the Lips and leave the politics out of it.

Kim:k-bunny:

Easy180
09-17-2006, 11:55 AM
The Flaming Lips should have a disclaimer on the tickets stating possible swear words and one political reference...Imagine the horror of being at a concert with cussing going on

One political song out of a whole set...Lighten up

Luke
09-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Wayne...said..."We hate Bush."

"...the entire message of the show...was...love..."

Interesting.

Easy180
09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
You are picking out 1 line out of a 2 hour set...You see harsher messages by guests on CNN and Fox

Again lighten up...If one line voicing displeasure of our Prez causes your students to walk out I would politely recommend that you steer them clear of all non teen-pop concerts :tiphat:

Karried
09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song... (With All Your Power)

Yeah yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah [repeated throughout song]
(Ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh...)

If you could blow up the world with the flick of a switch
Would you do it?
If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich
Would you do it?

If you could watch everybody work while you just lay on your back
Would you do it?
If you could take all the love without giving any back
Would you do it?

And so we cannot know ourselves
Or what we'd really do

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

If you could make your own money and then give it to everybody
Would you do it?
If you knew all the answers and could give to the masses
Would you do it?
(Yeah yeah yeah yeah/no no no no)

Are you crazy?
It's a very dangerous thing to do exactly what you want
Because you cannot know yourself, or what you'd really do

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

Ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh, ahhhhhh...

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

With all your power
With all your power
With all your power
What would you do?

("I quit, you... I didn't make it all the way through that...")

bandnerd
09-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Something that occurred to me while I was making cornbread:

How is it that we have managed to raise a generation of teenagers that don't realize what rock was founded to be at its very beginning? PROTEST music. You had all this bubble-gum music, let's dance together blah blah blah I wanna hold hands...and then bam, Vietnam War and protest rock music hits us. How could we possibly let a generation grow up and not let them know this? How could they expect to go to a rock concert and not see anything even slightly inflammatory? The Lips weren't biting heads off chickens, they were expressing distaste for the current administration and frankly, that's pretty darn common these days!

Getting off the soapbox now.

ksearls
09-17-2006, 04:48 PM
mmmmmmm....cornbread!

You rock bandnerd!

Midtowner
09-17-2006, 04:54 PM
It's great to hear about young people being involved in politics regardless of which way. I applaud the band for encouraging these kids to get involved. Making statements like this will either help make kids who agree aware, or it will encourage them to become vocal opponents.

Dixie Chicks, Flaming Lips, whatever.. if that's what it takes to get kids' attention when it comes to politics, then I'm all for it.

keving
09-17-2006, 07:18 PM
94.7 the buzz is airing the show right now. You can hear it via their webcast at http://www.okcbuzz.com/main.html.

labbri_ardenti
09-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree with ksearls - stop politicizing everything! If we don't - the politicians win - and we become further divided. Their show at the Zoo was one of the best of all time -and I've seen some great shows (u2, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers, GreenDay, The Who/Grateful Dead) etc. These guys are loved all over the world - and we should embrace them as ambassadors of our state (and play their music on our local radio stations). Wayne Coyne is involved with a creativity project that has national (and possibly) international implications as far as how we teach our children to learn, create, and think (red and blue children, democrats and rebublican children, christian and aetheist children). We have some great state treasures. Perhaps the Flaming Lips and their messages of tolerance (and intolerance of lame leadership), love, and questioning the status quo will some day lead them join those illustrious ranks.