View Full Version : Thoughts on Norman?

BG918
10-21-2004, 06:25 PM
As the state's 3rd largest city and home to its largest university, what is your opinion of Norman?

I live in Norman and go to OU. I think the city has some good parts and that the area in and around campus is beautiful. I also think the whole city gives off a very suburban small town vibe, even though there are 100,000+ residents. I see lots of potential in places like Campus Corner and especially downtown, and I wish there were wider roads and more housing near campus. How would you make Norman a better place?

downtownguy
10-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Norman is a beautiful city, though it seems as if residents don't fully appreciate the potential of campus corner and downtown. I also wish Norman wasn't so insistent on keeping Oklahoma City at arm's length. Yes, they're different cities. But once Edmond, Oklahoma City, Norman, Midwest City and other area towns truly unite as a metro area (while staying as seperate towns and cities), great things will be possible.

floater
10-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Amen to that. When I was a student, I enjoyed the campus and the leafy neighborhoods surrounding it. Campus Corner is a nice spot (although I wish La Baguette was still there). Main Street is coming along, and I think would be ripe for some ambitious streetscaping. And as much as I like to pan Bricktown as a nicer Ed Noble Parkway, I think ENP presents an exciting, slightly upscale image of Norman.

What I like about Norman is that it is diverse. It's not just a collegetown. It's not a bedroom suburb -- it has some older gritty areas. It has research, recreation, celebrities (Toby Keith and Bart Conner/Nadia Comenici), some interesting businesses, brand new subdivisions and historic homes. It has some finer stores and cool holes-in-the-wall.

The new multifvenue club that's opening will bring some much needed nightlife to Norman (although I wouldn't mind keeping 'em coming to Bricktown).

What could break Norman past the 100,000 mark will be the development that occurs along I-35 between the OU Press and the hill. If Boren's pushing it, it will be first rate.

It also has some cool events like the chocolate and medieval festivals.

Luke
10-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that development that Boren is wanting will be comparable to Utica Square (Boren't words, not mine). I wonder what the latest on that is?

BG918
10-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I think it would be better to concentrate new development in the inner city around campus and not on the outskirts. It would be great if there were more residential options in and around Campus Corner. There are currently some apartments but they are run-down and could easily be replaced with better ones that are on-the-street with more retail and restaurants at the ground level. This could be done where there are currently parking lots and old apartments along University Ave., and also on parts of Buchanan and Asp avenues towards McFarlin Methodist. A Borders or Barnes & Noble would be a big hit in Campus Corner, as would a few more restaurants, stores, and bars.

Mid-rise student housing by Campus Corner
http://www.ediarchitecture.com/Images/catagory%20images/Highrise/thumbs/midtownlarge.jpg

The downtown could easily be something like Southlake Town Center. If you don't know what that is, it's a mall that was built in the DFW suburb of Southlake, but it's not your typical suburban mall. Southlake didn't have a downtown so they built one around a "green" and put in a variety of national chain and local stores at the ground level with offices above on the second floor.
http://www.southlaketownsquare.com/images/photos_independenceday.jpg

Norman already has the historic "Main Street" downtown. Some of the buildings need some renovations but everything is pretty much already in place, infrastructure-wise. All downtown needs is more stores, like an outdoor mall. Parking would be in the lots behind Main Street, or in a parking garage. A small movie cinema could be built in the empty lot on Main by First Baptist, the nearest cinema being all the way at I-35 and Robinson. There's already an art cinema at the Sooner Theatre on Main. Both of those, plus the stores and some eateries like a Camille's Sidewalk Cafe, would draw people to downtown during the day. More offices could be built in the floors above the businesses to attract more downtown office workers as well.

http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v19/rantanamo/West%20End/ROSS_WEST_APTS.jpg

For the night crowd, a few new bars could open up to complement Bison Witches, Coach's, La Vista, and a couple others that are already down there. Maybe a new dance club similar to what's in Bricktown could open up, it would definitely be a success. Also more in the way of music venues like the Opolis, some coffee shops with live music, and even a hotel would go a long way to creating thriving downtown. Norman does not have a nice hotel anywhere near campus, something like a Marriott or even Holiday Inn downtown would be very convenient, especially for people coming in for football/basketball games. In some of the buildings, instead of offices that space could be turned into apartments so people could live there, as downtown is only about a 5 min. drive from campus and with CART a short bus ride away.

floater
10-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Great pics, BG, and comments. I think the market would certainly support such residential developments. I think in collegetowns you can be more ambitious and experimental because the kind of people who live there -- current residents who like stimulating product and temporary residents who may be used to such developments from their hometowns.

I wonder why such ideas haven't occurred on Campus Corner and Main Street. On Campus Corner, though, there may be some design restrictions, particularly on height. A four-story (and higher) building would be inconsistent with the rest of the neighborhood. A two- to three-story development may be more acceptable.

Taller structures for hotels and apartments would better fit downtown. Maybe the City of Norman should work on development incentives for rehabbing the older buildings on Main Street.

BTW, that pic of Southlake was awesome. That's exacty the type of development I want to see in Midtown and Riverside, between the Oklahoma! and new crosstown -- only with more residential.

OUman
10-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I live in Norman with my parents and go to OU, where I'm a meteorology major. I ride my bike everyday between home and the university. As far as the campus buildings are concerned, I'm not happy with the condition of some of those. Especially some of the restrooms (Gittinger Hall, Gouldman Hall) and the union badly needs expansion/renovation. Otherwise, the campus is great. I also like the way the Ovals are kept. Campus corner could be redeveloped to include more variety. The re-done Main Street looks nice (although it took forever to get it done; the Norman City Council is going to fine the company that did the work, from what I heard).

As far as the city goes, it's a great place to live. I consider Norman to be a suburb of Oklahoma City, mainly because Oklahoma City has more ethnic stores and much more to choose from, while Norman is the national brand mecca. Norman's Vision 2025 plan is essential for its future. Westheimer Airport will continue to get busier, although it cannot be expanded (the terminal can be though). Public transportation really needs expansion. The west side is only served by the Main Street bus, but it doesn't even touch the residential areas. I'm lucky because I have the choice of two bus routes. But I'm glad that CART and the City are working on promoting the bus service as a city service, not just for college students.

Norman's traffic is outpacing most of the major roads. 12th Avenue is becoming rapidly developed. Alameda street east of 12th is much better now. It will be able to handle future traffic well. I can't say the same for other major streets in the city. Boyd street really needs to be resurfaced (most of it atleast, east of the tracks). Lindsay Street's going to be a parking lot in the years to come where it runs through the university. The City is going to have to develop other streets to reduce some of that congestion. It also needs to push local business more while doing the same for the national brands.

I also like the diversity that Boren has brought to the city. I didn't necessarily think that a stadium expansion was needed; that money could have been used to upgrade campus buildings. Many need larger classrooms.

But overall, Norman's becoming the science and research center of Central Oklahoma. The OU Medical Center, the business park (Albon Engineering of the UK is going to build a plant there), and now the weather hub on the south side of campus. It's also big on sports. I think this city is a great place, and with more improvements, it will be better.

OUman

floater
10-23-2004, 11:41 AM
You know, part of me is jealous that I didn't get to experience all this when I was an undergrad. OU and the City of Norman were given a shot in the arm with the arrival of David Boren and Joe Castiglione. They've pushed hard and raised standards. The Student Union 100% better than when I was there. You didn't have the luxurious furnishings on the second floor, nor the 24-hour cafe. Other administrators would have accepted the collection of Impressionist art from the Weitzenhoffers and put it into a refurbished Fred Jones Jr. Art Museum. But not Boren. He had to create an entirely new wing of the museum, with a cottage village-type design that will be eye-catching and do the works justice:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/image-information-newbuildi.jpg

OUman
10-23-2004, 02:12 PM
You know, part of me is jealous that I didn't get to experience all this when I was an undergrad. OU and the City of Norman were given a shot in the arm with the arrival of David Boren and Joe Castiglione. They've pushed hard and raised standards. The Student Union 100% better than when I was there. You didn't have the luxurious furnishings on the second floor, nor the 24-hour cafe. Other administrators would have accepted the collection of Impressionist art from the Weitzenhoffers and put it into a refurbished Fred Jones Jr. Art Museum. But not Boren. He had to create an entirely new wing of the museum, with a cottage village-type design that will be eye-catching and do the works justice:

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/images/image-information-newbuildi.jpg

I agree with what you've said 100%. I know I have it a lot better than OU once was. I use the union and pass through it everyday. I appreciate the work that Boren has done since he came here. But the basic facilities haven't been kept up with the growing student population. When you find it hard to get a seat in the seating area of the Union almost everyday, you know you have to do some expansion there. I appreciate the Sam Noble Museum and all the other great buildings that have been developed on campus. But as a student, I've noticed some facilities which could definitely use expansion. Ever been in the union between 11:30a.m. and 4:00p.m.? You'll see what I mean. If this is left unchecked, it could grow to being a big problem down the road. Then again, I fully appreciate what's been done and what will be done in the future.

And classroom sizes also need to be looked at. That has been taken care of in the newly built buildings/additions, but what about the existing ones? I've been in many classroms where space was so limited, that everyone had to sit pretty close to eachother and the professors were concerned about cheating because the seats were so close. Even if you expand some classrooms in each building and do some re-assigning of certain classrooms to certain courses, the space problem could be easily resolved in existing buildings.

It's not that I don't appreciate the university or anything (heck, you should see how many food options there are now in the Couch Cafeteria and dining hall-everything from low-carb to vegan to make-your-own stir-fry bar, I could go on and on), I thought I should just point out some things that are of concern to me and other students.

But overall, I'm happy w/ what's there.

OUman

BG918
10-23-2004, 06:55 PM
OU, like any public university, has its share of growing pains. If OU wants to keep growing at its current pace (about 500 more students a year) it will have to do some things to keep up. The Union is very crowded during the day, but primarily on the first floor because of Crossroads and the food court. There is an open area next to the food court between the Union and the North Oval, this could be where an expansion takes place in the future.

Dale Hall desperately needs to be expanded, that place is packed during the day. The only solution I can see for Dale is to tear down the aging (and ugly) Dale Tower and build a large expansion to Dale with new large lecture rooms where the tower was and where "OU Chant" park is currently at Lindsey and Elm. Build a new taller tower on top of the expansion with new classrooms and faculty offices. Maybe put a coffee shop at the bottom level, with the amount of people who go through Dale it would be an instant success. A new parking garage for students and faculty (like the one at the stadium) could be built in the massive lot next to Dale.

Gould Hall (architecture) is scheduled to receive $10 million for renovations starting in 2007. I also heard G.L. Cross (science) is slated for an extensive renovation in the near future. Phase I of Gaylord Hall (journalism) is finished with Phase II planned once funds become available. Phase III of the Neilsen Hall (physics/astronomy) renovation is nearing completion with Phase IV, an observatory, planned for next year. Price Hall (business) will be completed by next school year, and will include a cafe/coffee shop. The renovation of Holmberg Hall (dance/theatre) is ongoing and should be completed within the next year. Lots of construction on the OU campus, with more to come in the future!

Midtowner
10-25-2004, 08:55 AM
And tuition keeps going up!

OUman
10-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow, Gould Hall's getting $10 million? That's a shocker...

Glad it's finally being renovated.

OUman

BG918
10-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Wow, Gould Hall's getting $10 million? That's a shocker...

Glad it's finally being renovated.

OUman

I read that in the OU Daily last year, it was pending the approval of $100 million in state bonds. Knowing OU though that money will go somewhere else and Gould Hall won't be renovated until someone gives them millions of dollars. I think it would be cool to move architecture next to engineering, the two could collaborate more. Maybe renovate Felgar Hall and move architecture there, and then destroy Gould Hall and build a new science building or something.

nurfe75
12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Why does the answer always have to be "tear down the old building and build something new"?

We have no respect for historical buildings. As comedian Eddie Izzard says, Americans tear their history down. Oklahomans are notorious for it. What's wrong with renovationg existing structures?

BricktownGuy
12-11-2004, 08:42 PM
floater:
Please fill me in as to what you are referring to in this phrase:

"the development that occurs along I-35 between the OU Press and the hill. If Boren's pushing it" what the latest on that is?

Please give insight as to possible developments.

BricktownGuy
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
also, I posted this in the wrong thread before...hope I can get an answer here....

my question is about the following area in norman... on EDP.......

right off I-35 by Don Pablo's and Chili's next to Ed Noble Pkwy. Someone posted some info tht somone told them once that they planned to build a large lake there that would have fountains in the middle and even boats surrounded by shops and restaurants. Someone please fill us on, is this still going to happen???

Does anyone know who the developer of this area is?? Ron Wilhite?

floater
12-11-2004, 09:15 PM
There's not much publicly known. Others with real estate ties may provide more. Here's what I know: the land that the OU Foundation owns on the east side of I-35 is being targeted for some type of commercial development. Carl Edwards or Price Edwards is exploring options.

According to a report, President Boren personally has taken an interest in making something happen there. Seeing what has happened at OU campuses in Norman, OKC, and Tulsa, most everybody expects it to be first rate -- according to Edwards, no "big boxes". I'm thinking some type of lifestyle or new urbanist retail center. I don't think housing would be that far behind, associated with OU's plans or not.

Luke
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I remember seeing an article about this development that Boren wants. I wanna say it was in the Oklahoman and that there was even some sketches with it. I have no idea what's going on with it. I remember it being very similar to a towncenter idea.

I'll try to find that article.

Luke
12-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Here's one article...

http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=3515