View Full Version : Looks like OKC Fuddruckers is DOA

SoonerDave
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
All:

Back in an old thread about construction along I-240, there was some discussion about Fuddrucker's having signed as a tenant in the new 240 Penn Plaza shopping center, and building a new restaurant in the outparcel along the service road. At one point, stories were that Fudd's was to have opened in April of this year. That obviously didn't happen.

Now, it looks like Fuddruckers Oklahoma City plans have officially fizzled.

Charleston's is now well into construction on the parcel that had been previously identified as the erstwhile home of Fuddruckers, even specified in ads Bull Market had taken out in the Yellow Pages for the new restaurant. Now, as of earlier this week, the phone number listed for Fuddruckers in OKC has been disconnected. As recently as last month, the number rang through to Bull Market Group's offices in Tulsa.

Emails to Bull Market represenatives are no longer being answered, and there is no indication that an alternative site is in the works. The "eatatfudds" website still lists the 240 Penn Park plaza location, but that's clearly meaningless now.

I realize that Fuddruckers to many was just another burger joint, so this may all be much ado about nothing to everyone, but it was one particular burger stop I was looking forward to - based on their previous OKC restaurant many years ago.

If anyone has any more detail on what happened with this transaction and why it fell through, or if anyone that might spy the local business papers might try to follow up the details, I for one would be very interested to know what happened.

-SoonerDave

writerranger
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Another chain loss. That's too bad. I, too, would like to hear what happened. I was just posting a thread about Costco and their response as to why they're not coming here.

----------------

Midtowner
09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
They ate at Irma's Burger Shack and realized they couldn't hope to compete.

Pete
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
They had a couple of locations in OKC in the early 80's (I know, I leased them their space) and only lasted 2-3 years.

OKC has plenty of chain places with expensive burgers. No loss, IMO.

SoonerDave
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes, I remember the Fuddruckers in south Oklahoma City. They were on Western just north of I-240, and the new store was going to be just west of that location. The former Fuddruckers from then is now a Taste of China buffet.

Given how much "preparatory" work went into the Fuddruckers plans this time, it just seems very odd that the plans fell through at what seems like the last minute. I'd still love to know what happened.

-SoonerDave

The Old Downtown Guy
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Yes, I remember the Fuddruckers in south Oklahoma City. They were on Western just north of I-240 . . . . Given how much "preparatory" work went into the Fuddruckers plans this time, it just seems very odd that the plans fell through at what seems like the last minute. I'd still love to know what happened. . .

Dave, Console yourself with a "No Name Burger" from Irma's at NW 63rd & Classen or if you can wait, at their 2nd location planned to open later this year in Plaza Court. Fuddruckers will never cross your mind again.

PUGalicious
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I love the "No Name Burger" at Irma's! Now you've made me hungry for one... maybe for lunch tomorrow since I work not too far from there.

metro
09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
All:

Back in an old thread about construction along I-240, there was some discussion about Fuddrucker's having signed as a tenant in the new 240 Penn Plaza shopping center, and building a new restaurant in the outparcel along the service road. At one point, stories were that Fudd's was to have opened in April of this year. That obviously didn't happen.

Now, it looks like Fuddruckers Oklahoma City plans have officially fizzled.

Charleston's is now well into construction on the parcel that had been previously identified as the erstwhile home of Fuddruckers, even specified in ads Bull Market had taken out in the Yellow Pages for the new restaurant. Now, as of earlier this week, the phone number listed for Fuddruckers in OKC has been disconnected. As recently as last month, the number rang through to Bull Market Group's offices in Tulsa.

Emails to Bull Market represenatives are no longer being answered, and there is no indication that an alternative site is in the works. The "eatatfudds" website still lists the 240 Penn Park plaza location, but that's clearly meaningless now.

I realize that Fuddruckers to many was just another burger joint, so this may all be much ado about nothing to everyone, but it was one particular burger stop I was looking forward to - based on their previous OKC restaurant many years ago.

If anyone has any more detail on what happened with this transaction and why it fell through, or if anyone that might spy the local business papers might try to follow up the details, I for one would be very interested to know what happened.

-SoonerDave

Dave, sad to hear although I wouldn't completely make a statement yet completely ruling them out. I was the one who first found out about Fuddruckers and posted it. My "inside knowledge" was later confirmed by the JR and OKC Business. At that time, I also mentioned that they were looking at Memorial Rd. for their 2nd location that was to be started shortly after the Southside location. Perhaps it is still in the works (Hoping as I love their burger bar).

fromdust
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
a burger joint on memorial? there are already 2. do we need another one on that street?

jbrown84
09-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah that would be a lot with Fudruckers, Red Robin, and Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Midtowner
09-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I love the "No Name Burger" at Irma's! Now you've made me hungry for one... maybe for lunch tomorrow since I work not too far from there.

It's tough to top the No Name Burger with whatever side you get. Irma's is good stuff. Nice to know that I can eat those burgers and not catch Bovine spongiform encephallitis.

okcmom
09-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Irma's in decent. Just that. They certainly would not have scared anyone, including Fuddruckers, away.

Midtowner
09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Oh, I agree. I do think they're the best burger shop in town though. Oklahomans will buy burgers from anywhere. Where they build it, we will come.

bandnerd
09-17-2006, 06:16 PM
I've had Fuddrucker's. It was just another overpriced chain burger to me, like Chili's. I was happier with Irma's quality of beef than with Fuddrucker's. But that's just me.

writerranger
09-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Anybody ever eaten a burger from Barry's Hamburger Grill at NW 32nd and May Avenue? Yummmm. The place has been there for about eight years - if you've never tried one, it's time! I agree many of these independent shops produce a better burger than any of the chains.

-------