View Full Version : Scariest Movie Ever?

Karried
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I was telling my kids that when I was little I was horrified, freaked out and so scared of the movie Night of the Living Dead... LOL - we rented it and watched it with the kids.. we all fell asleep! It was so lame and nothing compared to the fear I felt when I first watched it nearly 30 years ago - we've come a long way!

I just watched Jacob's Ladder with my 13 year old and at one point, I screamed so loud, my son about jumped 10 feet! We laughed and laughed but what a freaky movie! I had never seen it before..

I'm sure a lot of you won't or don't watch scary movies.. and I didn't for a long time but recently I started venturing out a little and have watched a few with my son who loves them...

What was your 'scariest' movie as a kid and what is your scariest movie now?

PUGalicious
09-13-2006, 11:10 AM
The first one I ever saw was "Nightmare on Elm Street." I still get flashbacks. I tend to avoid them now... I have enough trouble sleeping at night.

bandnerd
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Meh, scary movies just aren't really scary to me.

When I was a kid, Aliens was really scary, probably because I was about the age of the little girl in the movie.

Now it doesn't scare me. Nightmare on Elm Street didn't scare me. Halloween didn't scare me (scared my sister, though. I'd go play the creepy opening music on the piano sometimes for her haha) can't really think of any movies that really scared me. Now, gory movies will make me wince, just because they have gotten so GRAPHIC but it's almost comical, like Final Destination movies--my sister and I religiously watch every one of them at the theater and will have entire days devoted to watching them just for the gore factor lol.

Easy180
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
For some reason my scariest as a kid was Salem's Lot

Now I would say The Grudge...Know a lot of people hated it, but I was pretty scared in most scenes

Best newer thriller one overall I would say Saw

MadMonk
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure you would classify this has a "scary" movie, not in the horror sense anyway, but Jaws really did a number on me as a kid. As someone who visited the beach regularly in those days, it had a real impact on me.

As for horror movies, Halloween and the Jason movies were some good ones.

Karried
09-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Ohhhhh... I had forgotten about Salem's Lot and of course, Jaws was the utmost in scary movies when I was younger .. in fact, I occasionally think of that movie while snorkeling or swimming.. really freaks me out.

I liked the Final Destination 4 movie but I haven't seen the others...

I'm afraid to mention this movie - Hostel - oh my God!!! I finally watched it with one eye closed and peeking through fingers.. and walked out of the room a few times.. that was the worst I've seen.. actually, now I'm remember 7, that was the worst I've ever seen. well, wait a minute.. Saw was pretty freaky ... I couldn't watch the second one. There is one out this week that looks so bad.. similar to Saw.

I'm still undecided as to if I'll watch it or not. It looks too much for me..

Todd
09-13-2006, 12:45 PM
The Evil Dead (1981)

It was banned in the Uk and about a dozen other countries. I'll throw out a challenge to Karried to turn off all the lights and watch it.

Martin
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
...evil dead pales in comparison to the greatest movie of all time, it's 2nd sequel, army of darkness... though it's not even close to as gory. -M

Karried
09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
If those are zombie movies.. no way - Jose..

I'm scared just thinking about it.

Easy180
09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Evil Dead is a good one...Is that the one where the zombie lady is trapped under the floor and screams bloody murder for about 20 minutes straight??

Martin
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
easy180,
oh yes, that's the one. -M

Easy180
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Also The Shining freaked me out back then...When the kid is racing down the halls on his big wheel...then sees the girls...Dude take the freakin bike outside!!

ksearls
09-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Exorcist without a doubt :spin:

Lauri101
09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I was a wee child when I saw "The Birds" (Tippi Hendren).

We had a parakeet that I wouldn't go into the same room with for weeks!

I haven't been scared at a movie in a while, and I watch quite a few with my daughter. The gory ones do gross me out though.

Todd
09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
The evil dead is about five college students who venture into the wooded mountains of Tennessee to spend a weekend of fun in an isolated cabin, play a tape recording of demonic incantations, and open a portal to the netherworld. As the survivors see their friends and love ones turned into hideous, murdering demons, they learn that the only way to kill the possessed is to dismember their bodies.

Martin
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
so todd, what's your take on evil dead 2 & army of darkness? man, i'd wish they made another sequel... or even freddy vs. jason vs. ash. -M

Karried
09-13-2006, 04:25 PM
sheesh Todd.. with that glowing review, I'm running to Hollywood Video and popping popcorn - kids get the earplugs - Mom's preparing to shriek.

Leave the lights on - all of them.

Dungeon Master
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Watching the original Phantasm when it was on HBO back in the late 70s during a thunderstorm and the TV/power goes off for a brief moment. "Mom, Dad, make room for us". My brother and I were heavy into it and all it took was a flicker of power to send us running (LOL). But I'll never forget that feeling as it actually happened. The tall man has that creepy walk also. Very cool, very cool movie.

fromdust
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
i have to go with bandnerd on this one.

Todd
09-14-2006, 04:48 AM
I don't think I've seen evil dead 2 or army of darkness.

Dungeon Master
09-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't think I've seen evil dead 2 or army of darkness.

Todd, please don't waste your time or money unless you want to see a joking/scary movie. It had potential but in my mind, they blew it on those 2 movies.

Martin
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
i think evil dead 2 might've been an attempt at a serious scary movie but didn't turn out that way... army of darkness, though, wasn't meant to be serious at all... it can't be. the two movies definitely aren't in the same category as the rest mentioned here, and if you're looking for a serious scary movie, these fail. if you're looking for a good laugh along with some gore, though, these are great. in a similar vein, i love shaun of the dead. -M

MadMonk
09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
I forgot about Phantasm. That was a freaky movie. Then there's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Lauri101
09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
OMG - I almost forgot - Last House on the Left...

it's only a movie...

Karried
09-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Okay Todd, I watched Evil Dead last night..... yukky, it was scary and pretty good graphics and special effects for 1982. It wasn't dark though,
thank God .. teenagers loved it.. I wouldn't let my younger one watch it - it was freaky to say the least.

JIMBO
09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
I may be dating myself. but the scariest I ever saw was Last House On The Left. It was based on a true story about two teenage girls who were abducted.

Bryan156
10-20-2006, 01:17 AM
The first one I ever saw was "Nightmare on Elm Street." I still get flashbacks. I tend to avoid them now... I have enough trouble sleeping at night.

I agree 100%, I used to be scared to go to sleep and for awhile actually slept with the covers over my head because of that movie lol

Luke
10-20-2006, 05:42 AM
I enjoy scary movies. Gory movies aren't scary to me, they're just gross and not entertaining.

There's three that come to mind that I at the top of my scary list.

-The Ring
-What Lies Beneath
-The Exorcism of Emily Rose

All three of those, in my opinion, were thorougly entertaining and VERY scary.

:)

Spartan
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Last scary movie I saw...I think it was The Fly..... wow that was a long time ago.

bandnerd
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
The Exorcism of Emily Rose was actually quite scary. I don't normally get scared during movies, but this one kind of creeped me out. I know it scared my sister lol.

Spartan
10-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I need to go and watch a scary movie. I'm 41 now, I think I can handle it...no, I'll probably be better off until I'm Doug's age...then I can just sleep through the whole thing.

LOL!!