View Full Version : Yumm ...Der Dutchman Hushpuppies

pegpal
09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
LOVE those hushpuppies Der Dutchman use to serve. Making Birthday dinner for best friend. We live at the lake so have plenty of catfish, but need the recipe ...or better yet, where can I buy those little long hushpuppies??? Can anyone help. Thanks

Martin
09-12-2006, 06:49 AM
you might be able to buy them frozen at sam's. as for restaurants, the harbor house on 39th has hush puppies identical to the one's that der dutchman served. -M

drumsncode
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Der Dutchman!!!! Have mercy! I used to love that place. When did you last go there?

I still remember those hush puppies too, as well as the Shrimp Feast they used to have, but this is gonna hurt to say it, that was back in 1979. :-(

Martin
09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
oh, and bill's fish house in tuttle & just north of norman has some that are pretty darn close.

drumsncode, you can just cut that out! it was hard enough typing my last message without me missing that place!

arrr, too late. i'm wanting some of those hush puppies right about now. -M

jbrown84
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I vaguely remember Der Dutchman on NW Highway where Hollywood Video now is. Was that the only location? My dad likes to tell this story of how he tricked his father in law into eating a shrimp tail there.

mranderson
09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
I vaguely remember Der Dutchman on NW Highway where Hollywood Video now is. Was that the only location? My dad likes to tell this story of how he tricked his father in law into eating a shrimp tail there.

No. They had at least two locations. One was on S. Pennsylvania near SW 36.

BTW. Before it was Der Duchman, it was Zeider Zee. I ate there quite often, and also miss it.

metro
09-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I know they had one on W. Reno as well, I think at Meridian where the Trapper's restaurant now is. I remember going there after church when I was a kid. And yes I remember it being Zeider Zee's. The manager of Der Dutchman's is the owner of Harbour House in Bethany on NW 39th. That is why the recipe is identical.

On another note, this topic has been discussed before and might be of better use in the Food Court section of this website.

Martin
09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
there was one southside at 74th and walker also. before the chain closed for good, i believe that they went back to the 'zuider zee' monicker.

metro, don't be such a spoilsport. that was the op's first post, so behave yourself. -M

The Old Downtown Guy
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Der Dutchman!!!! Have mercy! I used to love that place. When did you last go there?

I still remember those hush puppies too, as well as the Shrimp Feast they used to have, but this is gonna hurt to say it, that was back in 1979. :-(

I was also a big fan of the hush puppies at Der Dutchman. I doubt that they would have the same appeal today, but as I recall, with a little butter, a platter of their fried catfish fillets, coleslaw and some tangy tartar sauce. . . hard to beat in those days.

I thought that I might be able to Google up a receipt for the hush puppies and ran across this interesting little tid-bit. A throw back to Oklahoma Probation days I suppose.

DER DUTCHMAN RESTAURANT AND CLUB v. STATE
1982 OK CR 41
654 P.2d 1053
Case Number: M-80-413
Decided: 04/06/1982
Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=5721

I didn't check out all 18,500 Google hits on "Der Dutchman" but I doubt that their pre-www receipt is out there.

I used to sit in on bass with the Ron Hoggards band in the club there a few times each month and after the place closed up we would usually go to "The Bit of Italy", a late hours restaurant that was open from 10PM to 2AM each night, It was located in a little strip center behind an apartment complex (now demolished) on the south side of 39th between May and Penn. What a place. You would see everyone from congressmen to hookers with their pimps and dressed to the nines. Great omelets. The guy that ran the place was Eddie Peak. A Putnam City graduate from about 1962 that played horn in Vegas for a few years before returning to OKC.

If there are any places like that in OKC today, I don't know where they are.

Martin
09-13-2006, 06:15 AM
a place called 'bit of italy' that serves omelettes... heh. that's a great story, odg!

drumsncode
09-13-2006, 06:58 AM
"Old Downtown Guy", OMG! Someone that actually remembers as far back as I do! Bit of Italy was my favorite pizza in the world. I nearly died when it went away. I played in a rock band during that era, and we'd go in there after gigs and eat like truck drivers. That was one of the coolest places I've ever seen.

I remember all the musicians in Ron Hoggard's band, from about 1978 to 1979. John Morgan on keyboards was one of the finest keyboard players I've ever known. I assume you got to sit in when he was there? I remember two different female singers, one was a dark haired woman named "Tempe", something like that. She was replaced by Carla Pirrong who was an absolute angel.

I took drum lessons from their drummer, Bruce Roy, who was originally from New York and later moved back there. I was lucky enough to fill in for him whenever he took vacations.

I remember a couple of sax players that used to come and sit in, one was named Clarence.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Small world drumsncode. Bruce was in Santa Fe for a while, but he is back in Long Island NY now. I think Cleve Warren has kept in contact with him, but I haven't spoken with Bruce in ten years or so. Two of my kids took lessons from him also. He is an excellent teacher.

I played with John and Tempe but don't recall Carla the angel. The other sax player (name escapes me right now) sort of dropped out and moved to the hills in Arkansas about twenty years ago. Both he and Clarance were great on sax.

And to keep on topic, it's good to find out from Metro that we can treat out taste buds to a bit of history at Harbour House.

Thanks for the memories pegpal.

Centerback
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Harbor House restaurant on 39th expressway, just west of MacArthur has the Der Dutchman hushpuppies. Owner Grant Bailey will take care of you. Enjoy Bethany...