View Full Version : Religion and Relationships in Indian Territory

Dave Cook
09-11-2006, 04:50 AM
I've heard people say about a million times that a great place to meet singles in Oklahoma City is at church. Apparently the church plays a considerable role in building social circles. Not sure if I completely believe that.

Anyway...my question is...what if - goodness forbid - you are an athiest..yet respectable of all religions. How much more challenging does that make dating in OKC...if at all?

bandnerd
09-11-2006, 06:01 AM
I met my husband in college. No religion required.

I would say the best way to meet new, single people would be through your friends. That is pretty much how I met my husband--through a guy I met who was his fraternity brother. A recently married friend of mine met her husband through a mutual friend.

Midtowner
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
^ What she said. Churches are just one of the many places to meet great members of the opposite sex.

As for my experience in church-dating, the only time I ever did it lasted about 3 weeks.

Turns out she had some severe mental issues (manic depressive\bipolar). When I found this out, it explained a lot.

Easy180
09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Just go work at a bank..about 75% women work in retail...It helped usually being the only guy in a branch!

bandnerd
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
^^^

Haha.

Also, if you volunteer at the library for book-readings to children, or other children-related activities. Animal shelters need volunteers. Both of these are very good for meeting people, and you'll meet someone with similar interests! :)

Dave Cook
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
I completely forgot about the animal shelter idea. As we all know, atheists tend to hang out there.

Dogs and cats don't go to heaven, ya know.

bandnerd
09-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Well, to go back to the original question--"Anyway...my question is...what if - goodness forbid - you are an athiest..yet respectable of all religions. How much more challenging does that make dating in OKC...if at all?"--I don't really know what to tell you. I haven't had to deal with it for awhile, but I do know that most of the people I know who have gotten married in the past few years did not meet their SO in a church. They met them through friends or similar interest activities. I think dating is hard for everyone, regardless of religion.

I gave my honest answer, take it or leave it.

Martin
09-12-2006, 06:55 AM
i completely forgot about the animal shelter idea. as we all know, atheists tend to hang out there.

i don't get this. seems to me like your question was answered honestly and intelligently. -M

sweetdaisy
09-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Animal shelters need volunteers. Both of these are very good for meeting people, and you'll meet someone with similar interests! :)

Actually, most people who volunteer at Animal Shelters are women...SIGH...doesn't work so well for the single female. :( (Although, I've been developing some amazing friendships for which I am very thankful!!)

bandnerd
09-12-2006, 08:04 AM
True--but if there are any men viewing this thread, then they at least know now that the animal shelters are overrun by atheist women ;) Or at least women.

And yes--it's also nice to at least forge some friendships. That is another thing that is hard to do!

sweetdaisy
09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
^^ Good point, bandnerd.

Attention: hot, single men! The animal shelter (and it's fearless female volunteers) needs you! :D