View Full Version : From The NEWS9 Weather Center...

CowboyConservative
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Someone has farted in Ellis County. Someone forgot to flush in Roger Mills County.... Stay with Gary England and NEWS9 we'll keep you advised.

Download I-News and these are the BS warnings you get every time you are on your computer. I have deleted mine because of the useless warnings that are way out in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Nowhere close to the metro.

Karried
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure where I get my Warnings but I think I signed up with Norman a few years back.. but I only get Advisories for Oklahoma County.. maybe you can adjust your settings?

CowboyConservative
09-10-2006, 07:13 PM
I did set it to only the metro counties and I still got the stupid warnings.

This is the I-News desktop software not a radio or anything like that.

Karried
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
This is where I get my email from for Oklahoma County :

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

Keith
09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Someone has farted in Ellis County. Someone forgot to flush in Roger Mills County.... Stay with Gary England and NEWS9 we'll keep you advised.

Download I-News and these are the BS warnings you get every time you are on your computer. I have deleted mine because of the useless warnings that are way out in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. Nowhere close to the metro.
All of the stations have some type of warnings that they can send to your computer. I choose not to download any of them, especially since I can watch the warnings on TV, which I really appreciate. I don't especially care for the warnings that are west of us, however, the storms that are west of us will eventually make it to the city.

We are in tornado alley, so you might as well get used to hearing all of these warnings...even if they don't affect the city at the time.

I guess you could do what most Oklahomans do when a storm approaches....don't worry about the tornado sirens....just go out in your backyard and watch the clouds.

CowboyConservative
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
This is where I get my email from for Oklahoma County :

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

Oh I see that makes sense. How do I get those alerts? I want to stay in tune with the weather. I just hate being alerted when the weather activity is 200 miles away.

sweetdaisy
09-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I guess you could do what most Oklahomans do when a storm approaches....don't worry about the tornado sirens....just go out in your backyard and watch the clouds.

And play the Gary England drinking game!!! :D

dirtrider73068
09-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't even wathc the weather anymore, I just look outside or just wait till I hear thunder, or see lighting, then I check my own weather radar, I have weatherbug downloaded, I like it alot, I cna leave it running in the background and if a alert in my area comes around it will chirp at me and let me know, it will not alert for anything outside the metro unless its heading my way, I cna check the radar and animate it and it will show what direction it headed, and even tell how severe it is, without listening to gary englands hyper weather interuptions.

PUGalicious
09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
I now depend on my weather radio more than anything else. It's the best purchase I ever made and I can set it to only monitor those counties I want to know about (like Oklahoma county and the immediate counties to the south, west and North). It gives me enough warning that I can flip on the news to see where it's headed and still have time to take appropriate precautions.

The news stations are just becoming annoying. They seem to only interrupt at key moments, like an important point of the football game or TV show or movie. That's why I watch non-broadcast most of the time and depend on the weather radio to warn me.

drumsncode
09-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Oddly enough, News9 was not interrupting programming last night after 7pm when KFOR and KOCO were. I know they received a lot of criticism a while back, and it's reflected in their commercials.

I guess they didn't want to mess up the 9-11 show that was airing. Aaron Tuttle had no problem stomping all over the ABC version of their 9-11 movie.

SoonerDave
09-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I can't fathom that any level of criticism would stop any of the local channels from burying us with their idotic "Potentially Meso-Rotating Hyper-Dangerous Fluffy Cloud That Might Turn Into an F-5 Tornado And Kill All Your Family If You Don't Watch Us AAAIIIIEEEE!!!!" warning garbage, which is of course always followed up with "Here's Sondra Dingbat on remote with Urgent Live Pictures of Rain in an Abandoned Wheat Field! AAAIIIIEEEE!!!!"

I wish the FCC would do something about that abuse of discretion.

-SoonerDave

drumsncode
09-11-2006, 08:31 AM
SoonerDave, I could not have said it better myself.

A couple of years ago, Frank Johnson covered up almost an entire LPGA golf tournament showing nothing but clouds and talking about them. There was never any severe weather at all. It took me two years to forgive him. It was the first "event" of the storm season, and I guess they all wanted a dress-rehearsal for later.