View Full Version : Norman - The Weather Capital of the World

floater
10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
With the grand opening of the Weathernews, Inc. US headquarters and the upcoming National Weather Center, Norman is establishing itself as a "mecca of meteorology". It's so great for Oklahoma. One of things that we can do to survive in this global economy is to specialize in something that's globally thin. Norman has that with weather, and with the movie Twister and storm chaser fanatics, it's beyond economy and gone into pop culture. First is the article about the opening of Weathernews, Inc. and second is a USA Today article declaring the "capitals" of each of the states. I felt like proud papa when instead of your typical southern/western claims, we had a science and technology claim listed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weathernews opens center on OU campus
By Ty McMahan
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Weathernews, the world's largest, publicly traded, full-service weather company, Wednesday hosted the grand opening of its U.S. Operations Center.

NEWS 9 report

The center, in the University of Oklahoma's Research Campus South, is the first of many partnerships between the university and the private sector, OU President David Boren said.

"As far as I can see to the north, there will be a row of private-sector partners," Boren said from a podium in front of the new 50,000- square-foot Weathernews building.

Weathernews' center is focused on delivering weather services, such as forecasting, analysis and risk communications, that help companies and individuals better manage the effect of weather.

The company has been operating an aviation service center in Norman since July 2003. Now that its new facility is complete, the company's U.S. operations -- including mobile phone, aviation, marine, offshore oil operations and energy -- will work together under one roof.

The company will provide services to 12,000 business clients, including American Airlines, ChevronTexaco Shipping, Club Med and Verizon Wireless.

Jeremy Usher, president and chief executive officer of Weathernews Americas Inc., called Norman the "Mecca of meteorology."

"We're here to announce to all private-sector partners that we are the Sooners," Usher said.

Don Wood, director of the Norman Economic Development Coalition, said Boren's vision for the Research Campus has moved from dream to reality.

"It will lead the economic development in central Oklahoma for years to come," Wood said. "It's not a pipe dream, it's a reality, and it's phenomenal."

Wood said Weathernews already has created 150 jobs and soon could add another 150.

"We're going to see continued aggressive growth," he said.

The research campus already is home to the $27 million Stephenson Research and Technology Center and will be the home of the $67 million National Weather Center.

Also at the event were Hiroyoshi Ishibashi, global chairman and chief executive officer of Weathernews Inc.; Rep. Tom Cole, R-Moore; and Joe Friday, holder of the Weathernews Chair of Applied Meteorology at OU.

Cole applied a favorite Will Rogers quote to describe the Weathernews operation.

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it," he said. "This is where we start doing something about it."

Weathernews Americas Inc. is a subsidiary of Japan-based Weathernews Inc., which operates 36 offices in 13 countries.

"It's not a pipe dream, it's a reality, and it's phenomenal."Don Wood, director of the Norman Economic Development Coalition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claims to fame

By Kevin Maney, USA TODAY

Lots of towns have civic pride, but it takes a certain kind of place to take pride in making fruitcake.

That would be Claxton, Ga., which proclaims itself fruitcake capital of the world. The American landscape is peppered with capitals of something - caskets, Spam, earmuffs. In many cases, the claim lies at the core of a city, county or town’s identity. Paden City, W.Va., may be just another town on a blue highway, but it’s also the self-proclaimed marbles capital of the world.

These places often take their capital status seriously, putting it on postcards, rallying behind it, and making it the reason for a festival. After all, if you’re going to be the garlic capital, you've got to have a garlic festival. That’s the best part. USA TODAY combed the map for self-proclaimed capital cities of the mundane and the bizarre. Here is a look at one from every state.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-09-09-capitals.htm

BG918
10-21-2004, 06:18 PM
The area around Weathernews and the National Weather Center (home to the National Weather Service, National Severe Storms Laboratory, Storm Prediction Center, and OU School of Meteorology) is in line for some major growth in the future. The plan is to turn that whole area (the South Campus) into a major research park. In addition to helping the University, it helps Norman because it adds high-paying jobs and keeps graduates in the city.

OUman
10-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I rode my bike down to the south part of campus to check out the the National Weather Center, and let me tell you, that building is huge! The roof has already been put on top of the five storey structure. The sixth floor will be for something, and the seventh floor will be an observation deck.

I also saw the Weathernews Building. It looks great. It's just across the NWC to its east.

I can't wait till we get the new building done. It's supposed to be open in '05-'06, and looks to be right on schedule.

OUman

mranderson
10-23-2004, 10:34 AM
None of the posts have said exactly where the building is. By that, I mean what street? What is the nearest major intersection?

I do not even know where the storm lab is specifically. All I know is it is somewhere in Norman.

floater
10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Mranderson, I believe they're on Highway 9 and Jenkins, adjacent to Lloyd Noble Center. The university was smart to buy all that land, from University all the way down to Highway 9 -- and the North Campus too, which includes Max Westheimer Airport and the land that we've talked about along I-35. They call the shots on development.

OUman
10-23-2004, 05:08 PM
None of the posts have said exactly where the building is. By that, I mean what street? What is the nearest major intersection?

I do not even know where the storm lab is specifically. All I know is it is somewhere in Norman.

mranderson,

the Storm Prediction Center and the National Severe Storms Lab are housed in one building on North Campus (also called North Base). Immediately east of that is the National Weather Service in another building. They're both seperated by a north-south road. North Campus is the one where Westheimer Airport is located. The Doppler Radar is located just north of these buildings, and the NEXRAD and Phased Array radar is located west of them.

As floater mentioned, the NWC is on the corner of SH 9 and Jenkins. The Weathernews building is just east of that (seperated by a big parking lot).

OUman

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-13-2005, 12:20 AM
I have seen many, many people try to get away with this on other forums. People say it is Norman, Boulder, Washington, Pennsylvania, Chicago. In fact, there are anti-oklahoma idiots who say we on't even have the best weather school. I must side here. But, I want to point something out: Norman's weather industry is growing, but we can't say it is the best or ever will be until we research all of these places I just listed. Atlanta even has a few, including the weather channel.

okcpulse
01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Pardon my french, but The Weather Channel sucks. Dave Schwartz can get on my nerves sometimes. Those anti-Oklahoma idiots need to get off their high-horse. They are jealous that cable networks often show up in Norman to do weather-related stories on severe storms and supercells.

I can't say Norman is the Weather Capital.. or just yet. It's definitely the weather capital of severe storms. How many times have we seen the NSSL in Norman on national TV? I've counted a handful of documentaries so far on cable.

But, you cannot argue this, Oklahoma City's news channels are the first to get the most advanced radars in the world to better pinpoint tornadoes. Every time I'm in Texas, New Jersey and Florida, their radars and meteorology teams don't even compare.

mranderson
01-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Pardon my french, but The Weather Channel sucks. Dave Schwartz can get on my nerves sometimes. Those anti-Oklahoma idiots need to get off their high-horse. They are jealous that cable networks often show up in Norman to do weather-related stories on severe storms and supercells.

I can't say Norman is the Weather Capital.. or just yet. It's definitely the weather capital of severe storms. How many times have we seen the NSSL in Norman on national TV? I've counted a handful of documentaries so far on cable.

But, you cannot argue this, Oklahoma City's news channels are the first to get the most advanced radars in the world to better pinpoint tornadoes. Every time I'm in Texas, New Jersey and Florida, their radars and meteorology teams don't even compare.
Not the best. But personally, I want to watch the women they employ.

In fact, to add to your comment about radar. Dopler was invinted in Oklahoma City. A major player in it was our very own Million Dollar Man... Gary England.

It would be nice for "The Weather Channel" to move here. By the way. I agree about Dave and the other guys. BRING ON THE LADIES!:banana:

okcpulse
01-13-2005, 11:48 AM
BTW, I saw the USA Today article. Very interesting.

Oklahoma

Norman
Capital of world claim in: Severe weather research and forecast information
Man, has this town been busy lately. If you’re looking for information on tomorrow’s weather, chances are it came by way of Norman, which has 650 government, university and privately employed weather forecasters, researchers and support staff, making it the largest concentration of workers focused on severe weather in the world. The National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration’s Storm Prediction Center is based in Norman, predicting severe weather for the lower 48 states daily.

metro
01-13-2005, 11:48 AM
now if they could only predict the weather

okcpulse
01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I second that, mranderson!