View Full Version : Kids leaving home.

okiemom
09-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Our middle child left last month to attend college out of state.
With the exception of his roomate, he loves it at JBU.

I'm handling it better than I thought I would. So is my husband.
Of course, the four or five phone calls I receive from our son each day help. So does the video chat.

What I don't get are parents who talk about how glad they are to get rid of their children. Of course, these are usually the same ones who say they couldn't homeschool because they couldn't stand being around their kids all day.

To each his own I guess.

Karried
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
okiemom, I already get teary eyed thinking of my kids leaving... I can't even begin to think about it.. I only have 5 more years with my oldest before he leaves.. boo hoo :(

I'm glad you are handling it okay.. I'll be calling you in five years for advice ..

okiemom
09-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Karried,
When our oldest one left, it was to attend OU. That wasn't quite as bad because she was only 35 minutes away.
With this one it's about three and hours, which still an easy week end trip but no running over for a quick lunch.
We visted several campuses and attended several different college days during his junior year and senior year. Even though most of the schools were closer than John Brown, JBU felt the most comfortable.

I have one left at home now. He's a sophomore. I'm guessing he'll either tail gate his brother or go locally. He could surprise me and take off in a different direction but I doubt it.

Those five years will go by quickly. Do you have a dream college you would like your kids to attend?

I can give one early piece of advice. When he's in high school, encourage concurrent enrollment classes and CLEP tests.
Our son had thirteen hours of college credit when he graduated high school. That's almost a full semsester. With the price of a good college, earning hours while still in high school helps.

okiemom
09-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Also, start college visits early and don't be afraid to go several times to the schools he likes the most. We visited OBU, OKWU and St. Gregories once but SNU twice, JBU twice and OC three times.