View Full Version : Devon +10.27

rxis
09-05-2006, 12:13 PM
The price of Devon shares have jumped up 10.27 dollars as of now! It has been awhile since I've seriously taken a look at energy stocks, but this was a stock that did not move(volatile) like some other energy stocks. i.e. Chesapeake stocks

"At 15 billion barrels, it would boost the nation's current reserves of 29.3 billion barrels by 50%, the report said.
"Chevron owns half of the well, while Devon Energy and and Statoil each own 25%"

Too bad this wasn't announced during the summer driving season. Perhaps it was held off on purpose...:icon_evil
The suspicious side of me thinks so.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B5307F65D%2D5851%2D4529%2D951E%2 D06DFD545910C%7D&siteid=

It's a real shame that I slept in today.

Midtowner
09-05-2006, 12:18 PM
That's amazing. I don't have time to pay attention to the stock market, so I let my mutual fund do that. For a good energy-based Mutual Fund, check out T Rowe Price's "New Era" fund. I'm not guaranteeing that it'll do as well in the future, but I recently made the decision to go "all in" with my meager portfolio. The recent history of this fund has been extremely impressive (posting 35%ish gains over the past year or so).

Congrats to Devon though. Hopefully they don't move to Houston.

Easy180
09-05-2006, 12:46 PM
That may be great news for gas...But it likely moved Devon up even higher on the merger radar :surrender

rxis
09-05-2006, 03:21 PM
That may be great news for gas...But it likely moved Devon up even higher on the merger radar :surrender

Most definitely.
Anyone have a stake in this? I could have taken on a day trade if I was at my desk today. Sold DVN shares and Chesapeake awhile back and never really looked into it again.
I stayed out once it reached the highs because of the hysteria around energy.
It's too much for my body and soul if ya know what i mean...hehe Trying to keep it simple.

Midtowner
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM

That would sort of contradict the old "buy low, sell high" mantra.

Besides, isn't Devon's controlling interest held by one individual? I seem to recall that. If that's the case, then it seems to be less a candidate for takeover.

ibda12u
09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Devon has a history of acquiring and less of being acquired. The years I was at devon several things were always pretty well a given about Mr. Nichols.

1. He isn't interested in moving out of OKC. As a matter of fact we closed our Woodland Hills office, and moved the folks there to Downtown Hou while I was there, and it was common knowledge that OKC was not a "Satellite" office or would ever become one. (that really didn't sit well to a lotta the Hou folks)

2. Devon was interested in being Devon, and and other acquisition that they sought after was in the interest of the Devon Brand. I really believe the execs there, especially Mr. Nichols have a strong desire to expand the Devon Brand.

Now once Mr. Nichols is no longer the controlling interest who knows what'll happen. :)

Easy180
09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh OK...Guess there is no way Devon will ever be acquired :stars:

Sure the same was said about the other 50 or so independent oil co's bought up over the past 5 years...Even more dicey if it all comes down to one guy's decision..It might just take his wife wanting to move somewhere else that sways him to sell :tiphat:

Not trying to be pessimistic, but the big boys are likely watching Devon like a hawk and they have the money to blow