View Full Version : John Marshall Plan Set

Patrick
10-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Looks like one more MAPS for Kids project is set to begin! Yeah!

"Trust approves John Marshall plan

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

The MAPS for Kids Trust on Tuesday approved final plans and specifications for the new John Marshall High School.
The 175,000-square-foot school, estimated to cost $19.1 million, will include 66 classrooms and a 1,500-seat gymnasium. The floor plan calls for a main building holding the gym and other common areas with four smaller buildings branching off the main building's north side.

The smaller buildings would hold classrooms, offices and storage space.

The plan also calls for a town square-style courtyard and athletic fields on the south end of the 32-acre site.

The school will be at NW 122 and Portland Avenue.

The plan includes 15 "alternate" items that will be included in the project if the budget allows. The alternate items include the lengthening of several classrooms, two tennis courts and a weight room.

Bids for the project will be opened Nov. 30. "

Midtowner
10-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Very good! Glad to see they are improving that school. A solid public school system is key to luring businesses and homeowners to OKC.

The public investment in MAPS II will yield amazing results.

Patrick
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
You know John Marshall used to be the Crown Jewel of the Oklahoma City School District. Hopefully it cam become that again....or possibly with the completion of three new schoos, we can have three crown jewels. Anyways, hopefully once MAPS for Kids is completed we won't have to be embarassed when corporate executives looking to possibly move here walk the halls of our local schools.

mranderson
10-22-2004, 08:52 AM
John Marshall the "jewel?" When was that?

I always felt they and Grant were equal. I guess they still are. From upper middle class and lower upper class families to criminal university.

I just hope the kids appreciate what is being given to them.

Midtowner
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
My only concern is that these kids get as good an opportunity to succed as kids in Tulsa, Putnam City or Edmond.

What they choose to do with that opportunity is their own business.

Patrick
10-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey mranderson...yeah, I guess John Marshall ws the crown jewel of the north side (well, I'm sure Northwest Classen alums would disagree somewhat...it was pretty upscale back in the day as well), but you're right. Grant was the Crown Jewel of the south side. That's why I think it's interesting that both schools will get brand new buildings as part of MAPS for Kids!