View Full Version : Katie Couric - Will you or won't you

drumsncode
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on what News9 would like us to think is a "gigantic event".

Actually, News9 wants us to think every event is gigantic, which is a constant source of annoyance to me, but I digress.

Will you watch Katie on an ongoing basis? Do you think it's as groundbreaking as they'd like us to believe? If you plan to watch Katie, why do you choose her over the other network anchors?

Luke
09-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Since I don't watch nightly news, I probably won't start. That said, I'll watch this first one to see what all the hoopla is about.

Intrepid
09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I'll watch the first couple of newscasts more than likely. If I like it, I'll watch more.

I get most of my national/world news from either the Internet or MSNBC/CNN, so I doubt that will change too much.

Midtowner
09-04-2006, 02:50 PM
A different person reading from the teleprompter?

I don't think it matters so long as the individual is not hideous to look at.

beatlebutt81
09-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I will never watch her. I can't stand her. She's a disappointment to journalism.

drumsncode
09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree with you "beatle", I can't stand the woman. My mother can't stand her either. She seems so phony, and to me, has the single most annoying quality in a person, which is thinking that she's ten times cuter than she is.

I'll watch Katie for a few minutes, just to see her delivery, then I'll watch Charles Gibson from then on.

I think paying Katie her ridiculous salary will go down in history as a monumental waste of money.

OKCMann
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Will you watch Katie on an ongoing basis? Do you think it's as groundbreaking as they'd like us to believe?

No and No. I already have a fav and I'm sticking to it.

drumsncode
09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I saw a ticker running on FOX25 last night that said according to Monday's ratings, The CBS Evening News came in third place! What a hoot! They hyped it ad nauseum and the viewers still didn't buy it.

Meanwhile I caught Meredith this morning on The Today Show, and she's doing a stellar job. NBC made out like a bandit on this change. They got a better co-host for their show, then sabotaged the CBS Evening News with their "deadwood".

therebel
09-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree totally. Meredith seemed very much at home on the Today set. Katie signs off like she's almost begging people to tune in again tomorrow. She and CBS have taken huge risks here, we'll see what happens.

Luke
10-01-2006, 06:18 PM
CBS's nightly news ratings are consistently at the bottom since the first week of hoopla.

ChristianConservative
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I like Katie Couric, even though she's a liberal. She has a pleasant face and a sweet sounding voice. That's all you need for a decent anchor.

Karried
10-02-2006, 11:13 AM
MSNBC - I almost have to change the channel because I can't STAND the voice of Rita Cosby ... God, I just want to scream ' clear your throat !!!! ' when she doesn't, I change the channel.

ChristianConservative
10-02-2006, 11:31 AM
MSNBC - I almost have to change the channel because I can't STAND the voice of Rita Cosby ... God, I just want to scream ' clear your throat !!!! ' when she doesn't, I change the channel.

Not trying to be mean, but what does that have to do with Katie Couric?

Karried
10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
She has a pleasant face and a sweet sounding voice.

Let me help you out here..

In the journalism world, it's called a segue.... a transition from topic to related/unrelated topic - you brought up a sweet sounding anchor and I brought up an anchor who I felt didn't have a nice speaking voice.

Another news flash:

This is a discussion board and we are discussing news anchors....

Are the dots connected for you now?

mranderson
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM

I just wonder if something is wrong with Rita. Voice aside, she is one of my favorites... As is Katie... Yes. Looks prevail.

drumsncode
10-04-2006, 07:38 AM
It's not going as well as her 15 million dollar salary would indicate.

Katie Couric Slips to No. 3 in Ratings | Katie Couric : People.com (http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1541986,00.html)

davido
10-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I used to watch CBS, until she started to anchor, I don't know she looks great I just can't stand to watch her, I switched to NBC. I would like to have Bob Schieffer back.

Keith
10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
I used to watch CBS, until she started to anchor, I don't know she looks great I just can't stand to watch her, I switched to NBC. I would like to have Bob Schieffer back.
Like you, I always watched CBS news, but now I watch ABC news. I watched Katie Couric for three evenings, and she just doesn't impress me one bit. I would also like to see Bob come back.

Midtowner
10-15-2006, 09:05 PM
A lot of you folks seem to know more about the anchors than the news.

Why are you so fixated on who is reading the teleprompter?

soonerliberal
10-16-2006, 12:12 AM
It's not just reading the teleprompter. Evening news anchors are also the managing editors of the newscasts and have a large say of what goes on the air.

I personally prefer an hour of CNN over any of the evening newscasts... you actually get more news than fluff. Among the three, I really don't have a preference. When I am watching the evening newscasts, I tend to watch Katie Couric simply because I prefer News9 over the other local stations and the TV is already there.

Midtowner
10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
sooner, this depends largely on the individual network and the individual anchors.

GodsComedian
10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
sooner, this depends largely on the individual network and the individual anchors.
So, your previous statement was wrong? Not all anchors use teleprompters?

Midtowner
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Actually, ALL anchors use the teleprompter. Some just have more input as to what they're reading than others.