View Full Version : publicity/community service

BricktownGuy
09-03-2006, 06:37 AM
I wish I was in OKC to participate in OKCTalk events (dinners)

But, in due time I will be back to Oklahoma and hopefully move to OKC. Perhaps then I can increase the 0.17% of our members showing up to the dinner. Well, I can at least attend, not sure how much 1 extra person attending will increase the percentage greatly. :)

In the meantime, I thought of a suggestion.

1. I was thinking, what if for publicity/community service reasons, OKCTalk did something similiar to the Adopt-a-highway program. Oklahomans can adopt two-mile sections of highway and agree to pick up litter at least four times a year for a two-year period. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) provides trash bags, removal of filled bags, orange vests, temporary warning signs and initial safety training. Adopted sections will be identified by a sign at each end listing the group's name.

2. Partner with one of the major OKC-based corporations to provide a community service to help out with a major event.

3. Adopt a OKC street. http://www.okc.gov/pw/adopthow.html

4. Partner with one of the major OKC employers to provide a community service. Such as the United Way, etc.

These are just a few ideas that came to mind. Just a way to get some publicity and to provide a community service.

Keith
09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I wish I was in OKC to participate in OKCTalk events (dinners)

But, in due time I will be back to Oklahoma and hopefully move to OKC. Perhaps then I can increase the 0.17% of our members showing up to the dinner. Well, I can at least attend, not sure how much 1 extra person attending will increase the percentage greatly. :)

In the meantime, I thought of a suggestion.

1. I was thinking, what if for publicity/community service reasons, OKCTalk did something similiar to the Adopt-a-highway program. Oklahomans can adopt two-mile sections of highway and agree to pick up litter at least four times a year for a two-year period. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) provides trash bags, removal of filled bags, orange vests, temporary warning signs and initial safety training. Adopted sections will be identified by a sign at each end listing the group's name.

2. Partner with one of the major OKC-based corporations to provide a community service to help out with a major event.

3. Adopt a OKC street. http://www.okc.gov/pw/adopthow.html

4. Partner with one of the major OKC employers to provide a community service. Such as the United Way, etc.

These are just a few ideas that came to mind. Just a way to get some publicity and to provide a community service.
These are all some really good ideas. I especially like # 1 and # 3. The only problem I see with this right now is participation.

You see, in the past, when we have planned an event or function, we have had many members that say they will be there. Remind you, that we normally give 2-3 weeks advanced notice (with the exception of last night's meeting), so it gives our members time to make plans.

Unfortunately, when the day comes, many of the ones that say they will be there don't show, because "something else has come up."

Plus, if you have read in previous posts, we have members that do not want to socialize with any other members on this forum. They want to participate in discussions, and give their opinions...which is why this forum is here.....but they don't want to go any further than that.

I would love for us to adopt a street, or a section of the highway, because I know that a big OKCTalk adopt a highway sign would give us excellent publicity.

If we could get enough members genuinely interested in doing this, then I say that we go for it. First, though, we need members to show their interest.

So, members........are any of you interested in adopting a street or highway and keeping it clean?

sweetdaisy
09-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Love Adopt-A-Highway programs...LOVE THEM and have participated in them in the past. However, when I did this up in Michigan, we had to make a 2 year committment to do the clean-ups (3 each year - usually "scheduled" by the DOT).

Before we embark on getting OKCTalk volunteers, I would recommend we get complete info on the length of committment, scheduling of clean ups, training necessary, locations available, etc. Additionally, in Michigan, we were not able to list a web address on our sign. So...if that were the case here, we couldn't say www.OKCTalk.com (http://www.OKCTalk.com) as our name.

Just a few things to ponder before embarking on a great volunteer opportunity. :)

Keith
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Love Adopt-A-Highway programs...LOVE THEM and have participated in them in the past. However, when I did this up in Michigan, we had to make a 2 year committment to do the clean-ups (3 each year - usually "scheduled" by the DOT).

Before we embark on getting OKCTalk volunteers, I would recommend we get complete info on the length of committment, scheduling of clean ups, training necessary, locations available, etc. Additionally, in Michigan, we were not able to list a web address on our sign. So...if that were the case here, we couldn't say www.OKCTalk.com (http://www.OKCTalk.com) as our name.

Just a few things to ponder before embarking on a great volunteer opportunity. :)
Excellent point, sweetdaisy. Thanks for the info and the heads up.

BricktownGuy
09-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Before we embark on getting OKCTalk volunteers, I would recommend we get complete info on the length of committment, scheduling of clean ups, training necessary, locations available, etc.

Oklahomans can adopt two-mile sections of highway and agree to pick up litter at least four times a year for a two-year period.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/public-info/beauty/aahindex.htm

sweetdaisy
09-04-2006, 05:56 AM
So that's at least 8 pick up dates (probably scheduled by DOT b/c they have certain times when the trucks will come by to pick up the filled bags) over 2 years. And I don't think you get your sign until you've completed 2 or 3 pick ups...the DOT wants to ensure the group is committed before they spend the money getting the sign together.

We have a hard time getting people together to go to ballgames, dinner, etc.

Like I said before, I love the program, but I personally do not think it's "do able" for the members of this forum.

BricktownGuy
09-04-2006, 01:11 PM
ok, what about the other ideas I suggested... if Adopt a highway is not possible.. what about Adopt a OKC street? or the other ideas? no?

Keith
09-04-2006, 06:11 PM
ok, what about the other ideas I suggested... if Adopt a highway is not possible.. what about Adopt a OKC street? or the other ideas? no?
Your ideas are great, but they require participation and teamwork from other members on this forum. As sweetdaisy said, we can't even get them together for a ballgame or dinner.