View Full Version : OKCTalk Dinner Sat. Night

Patrick
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, we're meeting for dinner, this Saturday Sept. 2nd, at 5PM....yup, it will only last around 45 minutes, so you'll have time to get home to watch the OU game. It will be at Nino's, 6509 NW Expressway. Come learn more about OKCTalk, come meet the moderators, come join in on the fun! Hope to see you.

Doug Loudenback
09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Sounds like good times! My wife won't be back in town until tomorrow morning sometime, and if she's agreeable, we'll certainly be there tomorrow p.m. The hour (5 pm ... and calling that "night" is a bit of a misnomer) is a bit early for dinner, but my internal clock is already messed up big time!

Thanks for the invite!

Keith
09-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Sounds like good times! My wife won't be back in town until tomorrow morning sometime, and if she's agreeable, we'll certainly be there tomorrow p.m. The hour (5 pm) is a bit early for dinner, but my internal clock is already messed up big time!

Thanks for the invite!
Hey Doug, come join us and bring your lovely wife with you. We'd love to see you again, and meet her. We just want to see the brave lady that puts up with you on a daily basis.LOL

We are going to have a great time, even if Patrick is there......

Doug Loudenback
09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Doug, come join us and bring your lovely wife with you. We'd love to see you again, and meet her. We just want to see the brave lady that puts up with you on a daily basis.LOL
She'll agree with you on that FOR SURE! But, only us compulsive obsessive type personalities know what is really true. Not? :tweeted:

Here she is ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/3.31.6.3.jpg

UH OH ... my mistake ... wrong pic ... here's the lovely bride who puts up with me ... only God knows why!

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/1.18.6.5.jpg

I understand that my clock is VERY SERIOUSLY ticking ... :surrender I'm doomed.

Patrick
09-01-2006, 09:36 PM
THe wife is definitely not the top pic, but for yall's age, she looks pretty good, Doug. I bet she was one sexy thing when she was younger.

By the way, we normally would've set the time later, but we wanted to have time to catch most of the OU game, starting at 6PM. I know for sure, I'll be leaving at 6PM. I'll miss the coin toss, but I want to be there at least for most of the game.

Doug Loudenback
09-02-2006, 12:44 PM
We won't be able to make it after all ... next time, I hope!

Patrick
09-02-2006, 01:05 PM
We won't be able to make it after all ... next time, I hope!

No problem. Enjoy your evening.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Drat, I would love to join you, but my car starts to sputter at NW 50th Street and simply dies if I try to cross 63rd. Maybe another time if you plan something closer to downtown. Have a good time. Go Sooners (except when playing the Pokes)

Patrick
09-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Here's a pic from the dinner. Nice to see that 0.17% of our members showed up. Thanks for the support.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/Mod_meeting_9-2-06_0021.jpg

CowboyConservative
09-02-2006, 08:11 PM
This is just a hobby for me. I am not here to join a social club or anything. That is why I will never attend one of these events. Then again I work for a living and I have very little free time. The last thing I am goning to do is give up even more of it.

Keith
09-02-2006, 08:24 PM
This is just a hobby for me. I am not here to join a social club or anything. That is why I will never attend one of these events. Then again I work for a living and I have very little free time. The last thing I am goning to do is give up even more of it.
That's the spirit.....hide behind the internet. I'm glad we can be here for you.

If I'm not mistaken, Patrick, myself, Todd, and ibda12u, all have full time jobs and other activities on the side, so the "I work for a living" excuse is worthless.

Martin
09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
i can't help but detect some disappointment in this thread. but c'mon... it was the first game of the season for the sooners. it was rainy. it's labor day weekend. there are alot of factors playing against you all as to why hardly anyone showed up... no reason to get discouraged.

personally, college football is my excuse. otherwise, i would've made my best effort to go. sorry. -M

Luke
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Out of town and OU game. Sorry.

I'd love to be at the next one! :)

CowboyConservative
09-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Sure I could have gone but.. I just ate a big lunch at Texas Roadhouse, A/C was just right and my La-Z-Boy was just too comfortable. OSU was on the radio and the Sooners were on TV. I was probably the only Oklahoma viewer rooting for Alabama-Birmingham.

Go Pokes

http://www.o-state.com/forum/gallery/data/566/5AB-PistolPete.jpg

bandnerd
09-03-2006, 07:19 AM
I had already made plans weeks ago to hang out with some of the teachers from my school and my sis for a girl's night in. Good food, good drinks, and we watched part of the game.

If I hadn't made those plans, and Mid had gone to the game like he did, I would have considered going but as it was, I had a good time at home :)

Maybe next time! Give us some more warning!

Intrepid
09-03-2006, 07:36 AM
The other thing going against this dinner was the short notice. The first post was Friday after 5pm.

I realize that this might have not been avoidable, but most people require more than 24 hours notice, especially on a weekend event.

With that said, I wouldn't have been able to attend anyway. As stated previously, I was the OU game. It takes a good 3 hour (if not more) head start to avoid traffic delays and get decent/good parking.

Anyway, if at all possible, try to let us know further in advance, and the turnout might be better. I'd love to see some sort of monthly OKC Talk event, even if it's just dinner.

Pete
09-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Nice to see that 0.17% of our members showed up. Thanks for the support.

You gave one day'ss notice for a Saturday thing over a holidy weekend with pretty much no input from anyone else.

If you really want people to attend an event, you need to:

1. Set it up around something of interest, such as a Skirvin tour or a guest speaker/attendee

2. Give at least a month's notice

3. Get input from people about where and when

4. Be grateful for those that do come rather than condemn those that don't.

bandnerd
09-03-2006, 08:09 AM
en

Yes!

Life happens, and sometimes you need more than 24 hours notice to work around it.

Did you all really not expect people to have plans on the Saturday before Labor Day, when OSU and OU both had their opening games of the season?

Don't gripe at those who didn't make it--I know as much as I enjoy this place I can't drop my life all of a sudden for it, and I wouldn't expect others to do that, either.

Lauri101
09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
You gave one day'ss notice for a Saturday thing over a holidy weekend with pretty much no input from anyone else.

1. Set it up around something of interest, such as a Skirvin tour or a guest speaker/attendee

:iagree:
All of the above - I would like to have attended but my weekends are planned out for long term. I didn't even see this until today.
Maybe next time!

The Old Downtown Guy
09-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Well put Malibu

writerranger
09-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Patrick,

I'm glad you all had a good time, but I have to agree with all of the above:

- 24-hours notice.
- Labor Day Weekend.
- Raining (some people just won't drive in the rain)
- OU Football started at 6:00. Would have been a VERY short dinner - and then rush home.
- Some people just aren't social beings and don't care for that kind of thing.
- And many other things said above......and especially, Mailbu's "Be grateful for those that do come rather than condemn those that don't."

Please, don't set yourself up for dissapointment by attaching any meaning to the level of support for the board to participation in these kind of quickly thrown together dinners.

By the way, I couldn't get Paypal to play nice with my credit card, so I am mailing in my contribution to OKCTalk to the address Todd provided in another thread.

What about placing the donation button and mailing info at the top of the page - or at least as a sticky at the top of all forums to let people know how they can give? Just an idea.

Have a great Labor Day!!

------------------------------

BricktownGuy
09-03-2006, 01:09 PM
What about placing the donation button and mailing info at the top of the page - or at least as a sticky at the top of all forums to let people know how they can give? Just an idea.

That's what I was thinking or at least on the homepage as I had stated in a different thread a few days ago.

Patrick
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I was actually being humorous. I wasn't disappointed. We really didn't expect any others to be there. It was originially just supposed to be a mod meeting, but at the last minute, we ddecided to welcome anyone.

I completely understand why many weren't there. Heck, it was Labor Day weekend, it was an OU and OSU football Saturday, and it was short notice.

No hard feelings on my part.

PUGalicious
09-03-2006, 03:30 PM
I was actually being humorous. I wasn't disappointed. We really didn't expect any others to be there. It was originially just supposed to be a mod meeting, but at the last minute, we ddecided to welcome anyone.

I completely understand why many weren't there. Heck, it was Labor Day weekend, it was an OU and OSU football Saturday, and it was short notice.

No hard feelings on my part.

Thanks for clearing up your comment, Patrick. As I think you can tell from the other comments, it wasn't entirely clear.

Perhaps the other attendee who commented could explain his caustic remark.

Midtowner
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
That's the spirit.....hide behind the internet. I'm glad we can be here for you.

If I'm not mistaken, Patrick, myself, Todd, and ibda12u, all have full time jobs and other activities on the side, so the "I work for a living" excuse is worthless.

How 'bout the "I have better things to do" excuse?

-- that was mine :)

I doubt your dinner was as fun as the OU game. For the record, even if you're not a football fan, you live in Oklahoma, you should know better than to schedule something over an OU game.

Keith
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for clearing up your comment, Patrick. As I think you can tell from the other comments, it wasn't entirely clear.

Perhaps the other attendee who commented could explain his caustic remark. Lighten up, dude. Enjoy Life, and show some :respect: . Don't be so negative.

Caustic remark? LOL. That's funny. Ok, Brad, read the next paragraph s l o w l y.

Like Patrick said, it was all in jest, and we knew that no other members would be there. The offer was there, but we knew this weekend was busy, so we didn't actually expect members to be there. Plus, 24 hours isn't much notice, especially since the moderators had about a three week notice.....and we were still missing one moderator.

No big deal.....although, since I don't have cable, I missed a good game. Next time, we will all go to Todd's house and watch the game.

BTW, hey writerranger, we sincerely appreciate your contributions to this site. We will see what Todd can do to make it a little easier. Sorry that PayPal didn't work for you. Thanks for not giving up, though.

Cheers:tweeted:

bandnerd
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Next time maybe put a winky in there so we can read the sarcasm better.

Just a suggestion. More than one person read some comments in the same way, so it seems a little obvious that the sarcasm didn't reach everyone.

sweetdaisy
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. Although I'm beginning to get some people's humor, sometimes it's hard to decipher. I almost commented on Patrick's post a couple times, but decided not to. Didn't want to "rumble" with Patrick again. :D

Keith
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Next time maybe put a winky in there so we can read the sarcasm better.

Just a suggestion. More than one person read some comments in the same way, so it seems a little obvious that the sarcasm didn't reach everyone.
Our apologies......:bow:
We didn't mean to offend anyone...just having a little fun.

Patrick
09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. Although I'm beginning to get some people's humor, sometimes it's hard to decipher. I almost commented on Patrick's post a couple times, but decided not to. Didn't want to "rumble" with Patrick again. :D

Seems like you'd be getting my humor by now! LOL!

PUGalicious
09-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Lighten up, dude. Enjoy Life, and show some :respect: . Don't be so negative.
Original quote in question:

Once again, the pot calling the kettle black.

Perhaps that fault was not in those hearing the message, but in those conveying the message. That fact that this was all "in jest" was apparently lost on other members (who, by your definition, must be negative) up until Patrick let us all know that it was supposed to be funny.

By the way, I'm continually humored that a simple observation is some sort of indication that I should "lighten up" -- a statement completely based in ignorance than qualified analysis. Thanks for the advice, but it was unnecessary, unsolicited and unwanted.

Patrick
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Guys, just wanted to let you know, the next OKCTalk get-together is already scheduled months in advance. We'll be meeting at Ninos on NW Expressway at 7PM on July 10th, 2025, to discuss the completion of Tulsa's Vision 2025. Be there or be round. LOL! Mark it on your calendars.

PUGalicious
09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry... I have something on that day.

What about the next Saturday?

Martin
09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
dammit. my six year old has teeball practice that night... besides, it's a thursday. i'm a very busy and important person, you know, and i have to plan things ahead of time. do you expect our lives to revolve around this stupid site? -M

BricktownGuy
09-04-2006, 01:06 PM
easy.

Patrick
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
How about December 25th, 2025? They shouldn't be in need of the manger any more, so we can meet there.

PUGalicious
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
As long as it's before the bowl game.

Patrick
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I have a better idea....let's move it up to Nov. 2008....we'll meet the evening Hillary is elected to the White House. LOL!

PUGalicious
09-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Or at least a pre-celebration for the sunset of the current administration!

I'm clearing my schedule as we speak!

Patrick
09-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Expect to see a huge drop in gas prices around the first of Jan., 2009.

Martin
09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
hmmm... december 25th 2025, actually i don't have anything planned that day. -M