View Full Version : Boat Parade on Oklahoma River

Patrick
10-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Again, it's nice to see another activity on the Oklahoma River. I'm definitely going to be making this one. I guess this will be the grand opening of the last MAPS Project.

---------
"Boat parade to highlight river opening

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

A boat parade, free concerts and a fireworks show will mark the official opening of the Oklahoma River.
------------
River amenities:
When the Oklahoma River opens Dec. 10, amenities will include a series of lakes along a seven-mile corridor lined with parks, wetlands and trails. Thousands of trees have been planted along both shores.

Construction is expected to start in the next year on a $2 million Chesapeake Energy Boathouse and a $110 million American Indian Cultural Center. Officials are in talks with Dell Inc. to build a computer sales and service center.
-------------
The Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority, which oversees the seven-mile waterway, on Tuesday approved a Dec. 10 opening that will include what organizers hope will be an annual holiday boat parade.

Former Mayor Ron Norick, chairman of the authority, predicted the parade will draw crowds regardless of the weather.

"I've seen these parades elsewhere, and even snow didn't stop people from coming out," Norick said Tuesday. "I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have between 50 and 100 boats."

Norick said area boat dealers have already committed some vessels for the parade. Private boat owners also will be invited to participate as long as their craft meet size specifications.

The festivities, which are being organized by Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., will be free to the public. While the boat parade participants will gather at the new Regatta Park west of the Byers Avenue bridge, entertainment and other events will occur across the shore at Wiley Post Park.

Visitors also will get a chance to tour the city's first skate park, which is expected to open in late November.

For more than a half century, the Oklahoma River, formerly known as the North Canadian River, was widely derided as a ditch that had to be mowed three times a year. Efforts to restore it as a recreational waterway began in the 1970s with a plan promoted as the "String of Pearls."

Without funding, that project, which called for construction of dams and parks, went nowhere. As mayor, Norick led voters' passage of the Metropolitan Area Projects, which along with matching federal funds paid for three dams, trails, landscaping and recreational venues along the river.

Project Manager John Rhodes said construction is nearing completion with 16 of 18 tributary bridges now in place. The city council, meanwhile, awarded a $106,180 bid to CP3 Enterprises to build a boat ramp to accommodate the December parade and future events.

Norick said he expects a big turnout. Over the past two years, the Oklahoma Association for Rowing has hosted regattas, with the latest event drawing 10,000 people.

"People can line the banks," Norick said. "They can bring picnic chairs and blankets. We can literally have thousands of people without being crowded."

Luke
10-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Yeah, this'll be really nice. Lookin' forward to it.

Patrick
10-20-2004, 09:10 PM
We had a Christmas Water Taxi Parade on the Bricktown Canal back in Dec. 2001. That just involved the 7 Water Taxis though. Sounds like this will be pretty interesting.....50-100 boats. I hope they come up with some pretty nice looking water floats!
Anyways, I'm glad to see more and more events coming to the Oklahoma River.

Also glad to hear the Skate Park will be open by then. I'm guessing this will be OKC's first skate park. I've seen the pics and they look pretty impressive. Hopefulyl this will draw more kids down to the river. Hopefully as time goes by, more people will be drawn down to the river. Right now the trails are in place, but no one is really using them. Someday, I hope this area becomes as active as Lake Hefner Trails.