View Full Version : Justifiable Homicide?

Midtowner
09-01-2006, 06:38 AM
FAIRFIELD, Connecticut (AP) -- A lawyer in this quiet suburban community was charged with killing a 58-year-old neighbor he suspected had molested his 2-year-old daughter, prompting police to investigate whether the molestation occurred.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/31/neighbor.stabbing.ap/index.html

What do you think?

MadMonk
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I think the guy snapped. It would be difficult to control myself if someone had done something to my child, but without hard proof of the molestation, I think he went berserk on only a suspicion. It would be hard to justify this.

Easy180
09-01-2006, 11:09 AM
I agree w/ madmonk...the key word is suspicion...If he walked in on it happening I would be more lenient for sure

soonerliberal
09-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Murder is murder.

Midtowner
09-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Actually, soonerliberal, there are several different crimes involving killing another person. Murder is just one of those things.

There are also defenses to murder, so "murder is murder" isn't necessarily true unless you're "murder" definition is assuming all of the necessary elements for murder absent the defenses. Then we could apply that reflexive property we learned in Geometry, and you'd be right :)

Easy180
10-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Not so good update for the dad

Police have concluded that a 2-year-old girl was not molested by a neighbor whom the girl's father is accused of stabbing to death in rage, a police official told The Associated Press Thursday.

Jonathon Edington, a 29-year-old attorney from Fairfield, is charged with killing Barry James on Aug. 28 after his wife told him their daughter had indicated James touched her inappropriately "in the starry night," police said.

Edington pleaded not guilty last week.

"We're confident this 2-year-old was not molested," said Capt. Gary MacNamara. "We are confident in our investigation that Mr. Edington did in fact kill Mr. James. We are as confident in our investigation that Mr. James did not molest the Edingtons' daughter."

Curt
10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Murder is murder...but not all killings are murder..if I walked in on someone molesting my kid or if I walked in on my wife in bed with another guy I am going to kill them...murder is a crime...self defense is not and should not be treated as a crime..I have every right to protect myself and family...I was so happy when our Govenor passed the Castle Doctrine...it is the way it should be...if anyone ever broke into my home at night the last thing they will ever see is a naked white guy with a shotgun.

Spartan
10-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Murder is just one of those things. :)

OK that's going in the sig...

Easy180
10-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Like my mom always told me

"Never murder someone unless you are absolutely sure of their guilt" :tiphat:

This girl is gonna have to grow up knowing as a child she sent her daddy to prison for life...Not to mention she essentially caused an innocent man's death

A lot of accomplishments for a 2 yr old

Midtowner
11-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Your mom was a smart lady.

Even so -- even being mistaken as to the guilt of the other guy is a decent defense. I think it's voluntary manslaughter if the guy can show that he really believed that his daughter had been molested by the victim.

He still goes to the pokey, but not for as long a period of time.

Easy180
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
no kidding mid?...You don't think he will get a long term sentence?

Midtowner
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I think he has a shot at a voluntary manslaughter charge. He's going to need to show that his belief that his daughter had been molested by this guy was reasonable and that he experienced an extreme emotional disturbance.. but yeah, I can see that happening.