View Full Version : CNN Anchor Leaves Mic On During Nature Call

CowboyConservative
08-29-2006, 11:32 PM
CNN anchor leaves mic on during restroom break. To top it all off a press conference with the president was in progress.

http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/29/potty-break-mic-snafu-cnns-phillips-chats-in-the-loo-during-bush-speech/

It is probably good thing she did not have a bad breakfast or dinner last night if you know what I mean. Can you imagine blasting a messy one out on live TV for the country to hear?

Intrepid
08-30-2006, 04:01 AM
CNN anchor leaves mic on during restroom break. To top it all off a press conference with the president was in progress.

http://hotair.com/archives/2006/08/29/potty-break-mic-snafu-cnns-phillips-chats-in-the-loo-during-bush-speech/

It is probably good thing she did not have a bad breakfast or dinner last night if you know what I mean. Can you imagine blasting a messy one out on live TV for the country to hear?

No offense to the Katrina victims, and I mean no disrespect to those directly involved in this terrible disaster.

With that said, I find it absolutely appropriate that the President was overshadowed by someone going to the bathroom. It's a lot better than the B.S. he's been shelling out the past 6 years.

:kicking:

PUGalicious
08-30-2006, 04:59 AM
With that said, I find it absolutely appropriate that the President was overshadowed by someone going to the bathroom. It's a lot better than the B.S. he's been shelling out the past 6 years.

:kicking:
:congrats::LolLolLol . :congrats:

Karried
08-30-2006, 07:07 AM
My God, can you imagine if it had been on while she was actually using the bathroom? Can we say mortified!! Ouch!

Midtowner
08-30-2006, 07:16 AM
I guess the sound board operator was asleep at the wheel too.

drumsncode
08-30-2006, 08:01 AM
I haven't heard what will happen to the CNN staff as a result. What would you do, fire the reporter, or the guy who left the mic on, or just do nothing?

Midtowner
08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Do nothing -- on live TV, stuff happens. Also, like I said, there's an individual behind the scenes whose sole responsibility is to control the volume levels on the mics. It's probably a standard thing for anchors to do whatever when they're not on camera. Those mics should be turned off by the sound board operator, not the anchor.

At any rate, like I said, it's live TV, and mistakes do happen.

OKCMann
08-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Wasn't this a Naked Gun movie? Hmm, life does imitate art! LOL! LOL!! LOL!!!

Karried
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I can only imagine what future family gatherings will be like with the 'control freak sister in law' - Please pass the turkey, now dammit! ... lol...

Intrepid
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I can only imagine what future family gatherings will be like with the 'control freak sister in law' - Please pass the turkey, now dammit! ... lol...

My two favorite parts were the sounds of a "zipper" and the clapping after she called her sis-in-law a control freak.

Still better TV/Audio than our President taking up more TV airtime.

Patrick
08-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I've worked the sound board at church, and I can tell you that it's tough to know when you have those lapel mics off. There's just a simple switch that slies onn and off, and the writing is typically small. If you have the box in your pocket, it can be hard to know what's off. The sound board operator should've turned the mic off. I can't tell you at church how many times our pastor forgets to turn his mic off. At the church I grew up at, this actually happened........pastor forgot to turn his cordless mic off, during the offering he went to the bathroom, and the soundman was off helping with the offering. You could hear the urine stream, gas, flush, etc.

PUGalicious
08-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Reminds me of a similar scene in the Naked Gun trilogy.

Keith
08-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I've worked the sound board at church, and I can tell you that it's tough to know when you have those lapel mics off. There's just a simple switch that slies onn and off, and the writing is typically small. If you have the box in your pocket, it can be hard to know what's off. The sound board operator should've turned the mic off. I can't tell you at church how many times our pastor forgets to turn his mic off. At the church I grew up at, this actually happened........pastor forgot to turn his cordless mic off, during the offering he went to the bathroom, and the soundman was off helping with the offering. You could hear the urine stream, gas, flush, etc.
I have run the sound at my church for 25 years now, and have made that same mistake. The pastor went to the bathroom, and I thought he was in the auditorium. When it was time for him to preach, I just automatically turned up his wireless. There was an echo, then the sound of him urinating......and also singing "Showers of Blessing." When I realized what was happening, I shut his mic off. I heard some giggling from the congregation.....and then when he walked in, everybody died laughing. One of the deacons told him what had happened.

He looked up at me, smiled, shook his finger, and mouthed to me that we would talk later.

OKCMann
08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
No disrespect to Pat and Keith but this is a major network not volunteers at church. You get paid to know whats going on so I don't have much sympathy for whomever at CNN. This is what makes you a professional or an idiot. Maybe they were too busy getting their "X" ready to put on the President's face?

Midtowner
08-31-2006, 10:03 PM
It's CNN.. so what?

People make mistakes. The anchor is most likely not responsible for switching her microphone off. When I sat in the anchor chair (and I know my equipment was nothing like CNN's), whoever was operating the sound board had 100% control over my microphone.

Personally, I never made any sort of noise when I wasn't reading because you never could be 100% sure.

But these guys are on for hours at a time, not 30 minutes.

writerranger
08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Midtowner is right. In fact, I read on TVNewser that CNN has dual-assurance control over anchor mics. Meaning, there are actually two people assigned to make sure anchor and field reporter mics are on/off. The system broke down the other day, but it was in no way Kyra Phillips fault. Both people responsible just messed up. In fact, I feel really bad for Kyra Phillips. Especially with so much attention being paid to this whole thing. It's not like there's no real news going on or anything.

-------

CowboyConservative
08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
I could careless who screwed up or what network it was on. I just thought it was funny and it was something we can all relate to. We have all made those mistakes in public that were just flat out hilarious.

This was a simple human error nothing more nothing less.

Intrepid
09-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Maybe they were too busy getting their "X" ready to put on the President's face?

Now THAT would have been truly AWESOME!!! Or better yet, a big "?"

:tiphat:

MadMonk
09-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Now THAT would have been truly AWESOME!!! Or better yet, a big "?"
Jeez, you sound like a giddy little schoolgirl. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I feel sorry for the reporter. Imagine having to face your sister-in-law after calling her a control freak on national TV. :omg:

soonerliberal
09-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Anybody see Kyra on Letterman last night. She gave a hilarious Top 10 list.

magicchord
09-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Ah, see, that's what happens when you give everybody wireless microphones. In the old days, a news anchor would have to take her mike off before making a trip down the hall.

Intrepid
09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Jeez, you sound like a giddy little schoolgirl. :rolleyes:

I must admit, I did giggle just a little bit while typing it out. LOL

:spin:

therebel
09-26-2006, 05:43 AM

Or, a long pee followed by a flush???