View Full Version : Greatest Oklahomans

Kerry
08-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Who do you think the greatest Oklahomans are? Not just in their contribution to the state but to the nation. In other words, if Oklahoma had a Mt. Rushmore - who would be on it.

1. Jim Thrope - Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century
2. Will Rogers - No description needed
3. Shannon Lucid - More time in space than any other woman. Flew on 5 shuttle missions and spent 179 days on Mir.
4. Gordon Cooper - One of the seven original NASA astronauts. First Human to sleep in space. Logged more time in space than all other 6 combined. First astronaut to go in space twice.

chuckdiesel
08-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Mickey Mantle
Garth Brooks
Troy Aikman
Sequoyah

Midtowner
08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Johnny Bench baseball player, Oklahoma City
John Berryman poet, MacAlester
Garth Brooks singer, Tulsa
Jeremy Castle singer, Blanchard
Iron Eyes Cody Cherokee actor
Gordon Cooper astronaut, Shawnee
Ralph Ellison writer, Oklahoma City
James Garner actor, Norman
Owen K. Garriott astronaut, Enid
Vince Gill singer, Norman
Chester Gould cartoonist, Pawnee
Woodrow Wilson Woody Guthrie singer, composer, Okemah
Ike,Taylor, Zac Hanson music, Tulsa
Roy Harris composer, Lincoln Cty
Paul Harvey broadcaster, Tulsa
Van Heflin actor, Walters
Tony Hillerman author, Sacred Heart
Ron Howard actor, director, Duncan
Karl Guthe Jansky engineer, Norman
Ben Johnson actor, Pawhuska
Jennifer Jones actress, Tulsa
Jeane Kirkpatrick diplomat, Duncan
Shannon Lucid astronaut, Bethany
Mickey Charles Mantle baseball player, Spavinaw
Reba McEntire singer, McAlester
Shannon Miller Olympic gymnast, Edmond
Bill Moyers journalist, Hugo
Daniel Patrick Moynihan N.Y. senator, Tulsa
Patti Page singer, Clarence
Brad Pitt actor Shawnee
Tony Randall actor, Tulsa
Oral Roberts evangelist, Ada
Dale Robertson actor, Oklahoma City
Will Rogers humorist, Oologah
Dan Rowan comedian, Beggs
Robert Stemmons whistler, Tulsa
Todd, Administrator, OKCTalk
Maria Tallchief ballerina, Fairfax
James Francis Jim Thorpe athlete, Prague
Jeanne Tripplehorn actress, Tulsa
Ted Shackleford actor, Tulsa
Wilma Mankiller Cherokee chief, Tahlequah
Gene Autry, actor/singer, Achille/Ravia
Vince Gill, singer, Norman
Toby Keith, singer, ?
Reba McEntire, singer, Chokie/Durant
Sequoyah, wrote an alphabet, did some other things
Stand Watie, Oklahoma Territory, last Confederate General to surrender
S.E. Hinton, Author, Tulsa
Alice Mary Roberts, U.S. House (in the 20's), Tulsa
Marian Opala, Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice, OKC (by way of Poland)
Clara Luper, Civil Rights Activist, OKC
Wiley Post, aviator, ?

Pete
08-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Carl Albert should be mentioned and David Boren as well.

Doug Loudenback
08-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Johnny Bench baseball player, Oklahoma City
John Berryman poet, MacAlester
Garth Brooks singer, Tulsa
Jeremy Castle singer, Blanchard
Iron Eyes Cody Cherokee actor
Gordon Cooper astronaut, Shawnee
Ralph Ellison writer, Oklahoma City
James Garner actor, Norman
Owen K. Garriott astronaut, Enid
Vince Gill singer, Norman
Chester Gould cartoonist, Pawnee
Woodrow Wilson Woody Guthrie singer, composer, Okemah
Ike,Taylor, Zac Hanson music, Tulsa
Roy Harris composer, Lincoln Cty
Paul Harvey broadcaster, Tulsa
Van Heflin actor, Walters
Tony Hillerman author, Sacred Heart
Ron Howard actor, director, Duncan
Karl Guthe Jansky engineer, Norman
Ben Johnson actor, Pawhuska
Jennifer Jones actress, Tulsa
Jeane Kirkpatrick diplomat, Duncan
Shannon Lucid astronaut, Bethany
Mickey Charles Mantle baseball player, Spavinaw
Reba McEntire singer, McAlester
Shannon Miller Olympic gymnast, Edmond
Bill Moyers journalist, Hugo
Daniel Patrick Moynihan N.Y. senator, Tulsa
Patti Page singer, Clarence
Brad Pitt actor Shawnee
Tony Randall actor, Tulsa
Oral Roberts evangelist, Ada
Dale Robertson actor, Oklahoma City
Will Rogers humorist, Oologah
Dan Rowan comedian, Beggs
Robert Stemmons whistler, Tulsa
Maria Tallchief ballerina, Fairfax
James Francis Jim Thorpe athlete, Prague
Jeanne Tripplehorn actress, Tulsa
Ted Shackleford actor, Tulsa
Wilma Mankiller Cherokee chief, Tahlequah
Gene Autry, actor/singer, Achille/Ravia
Vince Gill, singer, Norman
Toby Keith, singer, ?
Woodie Guthrie, singer, Okemah
Reba McEntire, singer, Chokie/Durant
Hanson, never mind.
Sequoyah, wrote an alphabet, did some other things
Stand Watie, Oklahoma Territory, last Confederate General to surrender
S.E. Hinton, Author, Tulsa
Alice Mary Roberts, U.S. House (in the 20's), Tulsa
Marian Opala, Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice, OKC (by way of Poland)To your list I would add:

Wiley Post, 1st to circumvent the globe by airplane (but having a navigator on board), then 1st to do so solo, and discoverer of the Jet Stream, buried in Memorial Cemetery:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3255/943/400/wilepostmarker1.jpg

I'd also add Clara Luper, pioneer in America's (and Oklahoma's) civil rights movement, and by some called its "Mother."

http://www.buffalo.edu/uncrownedqueens/images/luper_clara.jpg

Kerry
08-27-2006, 08:46 PM
The list isn't about famous Oklahomas. I am looking for the top 5.

I thought about Wiley Post but he is not from Oklahoma. He was born in Texas and moved to Oklahoma when he was 11. Technicaly, Shannon Lucid is not from Oklahoma either. She was born in China to Baptist Missionaries that were from Oklahoma. She returned to Oklahoma when the missionary trip was over.

Sequoyah would round out my top 5.

Kerry
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Carl Albert should be mentioned and David Boren as well.

What did Carl Albert and David Boren do that makes them at the top of your list? There have been thousands of US Senators and over 100 Speakers of the House. There accomplishments might be great in Oklahoma but barley a blip on the national or international scene.

jbrown84
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I would rather have someone who came to Oklahoma on there than someone like Brad Pitt who was born here but barely lived here a few months and doesn't claim us.

Will Rogers
Mickey Mantle
Shannon Lucid
James Garner
Ralph Ellison

I tried to get people from different areas of fame: a humorist/comedian, an athlete, and astronaut, and actor, and a writer. We've never had a politician famous enough to get on the list. Possible alternatives: Woody Guthrie, Black Kettle.

writerranger
08-27-2006, 11:24 PM
What did Carl Albert and David Boren do that makes them at the top of your list? There have been thousands of US Senators and over 100 Speakers of the House. There accomplishments might be great in Oklahoma but barley a blip on the national or international scene.

A blip on the national/international scene?

Carl Albert was Speaker of The U.S. House of Representatives and wielded enormous power. He was twice constitutionally next in line for the presidency after Agnew's and Nixon's resignations.

David Boren was chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and was extremely influential.

But, no Oklahoman ever wielded power on the national stage like Senator Robert S. Kerr -- at one time, he was arguably the most powerful member of the United States Senate. He would definitely be on my list of great Oklahomans.

------

jbrown84
08-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I'll add Robert S. Kerr as an alternate.

traxx
08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
The list isn't about famous Oklahomas. I am looking for the top 5.

I thought about Wiley Post but he is not from Oklahoma. He was born in Texas and moved to Oklahoma when he was 11. Technicaly, Shannon Lucid is not from Oklahoma either. She was born in China to Baptist Missionaries that were from Oklahoma. She returned to Oklahoma when the missionary trip was over.

Sequoyah would round out my top 5.
I would call Wiley Post and Shannon Lucid Oklahomans more than I would Ron Howard. It's not so much about where one is born as it is about if they claim Oklahoma and they are an Oklahoman in spirit. Just because Shannon Lucid was born in China doesn't make her Chinese any more than being born in the borders of Oklahoma make Brad Pitt an Oklahoman.

AFCM
08-28-2006, 04:21 PM
You've all mentioned the one's I would've said, so I'll just throw out some names of people who aren't really the greatest, but are well respected and natives of the Sooner State. One I'll name in particular can, according to internet legend, weld titanium while urinating. You guessed it, Chuck Norris of Ryan, Oklahoma.

www.chucknorrisfacts.com (Chuck Norris Facts)

You can visit this legendary site by clicking on the link. Trust me, you'll get a "kick" out of it.

The others I've always hailed as Oklahoma sports heroes (not already mentioned) are Jason White, Billy Vessels and Steve Owens.

I'll think of more later. Bye.

Kerry
08-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I would call Wiley Post and Shannon Lucid Oklahomans more than I would Ron Howard. It's not so much about where one is born as it is about if they claim Oklahoma and they are an Oklahoman in spirit. Just because Shannon Lucid was born in China doesn't make her Chinese any more than being born in the borders of Oklahoma make Brad Pitt an Oklahoman.

The only reason I included this part was to say that for all pratical purposes - Shannon Lucid is from Oklahoma. Had her family not be traveling she would have been born in Oklahoma. She lived in Oklahoma until her graduation from OU.

quailcreekgal
08-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Add Henry Bellmon to the list!

quailcreekgal
08-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Carl Albert was the Speaker of the House for many many years - kind of an important place nationally if for no other reason, if the Pres and Vice Pres were killed, the Speaker becomes President.

Midtowner
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
You've all mentioned the one's I would've said, so I'll just throw out some names of people who aren't really the greatest, but are well respected and natives of the Sooner State. One I'll name in particular can, according to internet legend, weld titanium while urinating. You guessed it, Chuck Norris of Ryan, Oklahoma.

www.chucknorrisfacts.com (Chuck Norris Facts)

So of course, you'd suggest that the top 5 be:

1) Chuck Norris
2) Chuck Norris
3) Chuck Norris
4) Chuck Norris
5) Chuck Norris

(and if you disagree, you get roundhoused?)

Does Chuck Norris humor ever get old?

Doug Loudenback
08-29-2006, 09:42 AM
So of course, you'd suggest that the top 5 be:

1) Chuck Norris
2) Chuck Norris
3) Chuck Norris
4) Chuck Norris
5) Chuck Norris

(and if you disagree, you get roundhoused?)

Does Chuck Norris humor ever get old?
Never.

And only born-in-Oklahoma people are qualified to be one of the "greatest Oklahomans." Not.

If one would want to spin this query backward in time, only a few (not all ... but most Native Americans were forceably removed here during the 19th century) people would even be qualified to be on this particular "greatest" list.

But, quailcreekgal, I'd certainly agree with your addition of Henry Bellmon ... a true stateman of character. Bussing, Panama Canal, et al. He'd probably not fit in well with the present Republican party, but that wouldn't bother him a bit.

Kerry
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Carl Albert was the Speaker of the House for many many years - kind of an important place nationally if for no other reason, if the Pres and Vice Pres were killed, the Speaker becomes President.

Here is the deal on Carl Albert and why I don't include him in the list of 5 greatest. In my mind he didn't do anything. People like Wily Post and Gordon Cooper did things that no human had ever done before. Shannon Lucid did things that no other woman had ever accomplished. Getting elected to public office just pales in comparison to be the first human to sleep in space.

While being Speaker of the House is a great personal accomplishment - it doesn't change the course of human history.

writerranger
08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Here is the deal on Carl Albert and why I don't include him in the list of 5 greatest. In my mind he didn't do anything. People like Wily Post and Gordon Cooper did things that no human had ever done before. Shannon Lucid did things that no other woman had ever accomplished. Getting elected to public office just pales in comparison to be the first human to sleep in space.

While being Speaker of the House is a great personal accomplishment - it doesn't change the course of human history.

That doesn't make sense by your own standard you set in your original post. You have Jim Thorpe and Will Rogers numbers 1 and 2 in your Top 5. The same could be said about them that you just said about Carl Albert. Just change "Speaker of The House" to "humorist" and "athlete"....did either one of them "change the course of human history?" They were both personal accomplishments. In fact, that could be said about almost everyone on all these lists. What makes athletics and oratorical skills more "legitimate' than a life in public service? I would venture to say that when most people think of "greats" in history, most think of those in public service before athletes and humorists. There's dangers in these kinds of lists when arbitrary "rules" are put on greatness. Just my opinion - it's a slippery slope.

-----

floater
08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Greatest 5, in no particular order:

Will Rogers
Garth Brooks
Jim Thorpe
Mickey Mantle
Bud Wilkinson

The last one is ironic because I think OU football means too much to people here, but you can't deny the attention it brings to the state year in and year out.

Kerry
08-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Whiteranger - here is the point I am trying to make. Without people like Shannon Lucid, Gordon Cooper, and Jim Thorpe - the things they accomplished might not have ever been done - by anyone. Even if they had been done by someone else - they were the first humans to do it. There were Speakers of the House before Carl Albert and there were Speakers of the House after Carl Albert. It is not like Carl Albert signed the Decleration of Independence. If he had he would be on my list.

As for Will Rogers - There is a memorial to him in Oklahoma, Pacifc Palasade, and on top of Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado. His contribution to the people of America during the Great Depression, his charitable work in multiple foreign countries, early pioneer of radio, television, motion pictures, and on-stage productions, and Guinness Book of World Records holder have made him part of my list.

I am not saying my list is the only one and you must agree - but saying that being elected to public office automatically qualifies you is crazy.

writerranger
08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Whiteranger - here is the point I am trying to make. Without people like Shannon Lucid, Gordon Cooper, and Jim Thorpe - the things they accomplished might not have ever been done - by anyone. Even if they had been done by someone else - they were the first humans to do it. There were Speakers of the House before Carl Albert and there were Speakers of the House after Carl Albert. It is not like Carl Albert signed the Decleration of Independence. If he had he would be on my list.

As for Will Rogers - There is a memorial to him in Oklahoma, Pacifc Palasade, and on top of Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado. His contribution to the people of America during the Great Depression, his charitable work in multiple foreign countries, early pioneer of radio, television, motion pictures, and on-stage productions, and Guinness Book of World Records holder have made him part of my list.

I am not saying my list is the only one and you must agree - but saying that being elected to public office automatically qualifies you is crazy.

Hi Kerry. You make some good points. However, just to make it clear, I never said that, "being elected to public office automatically qualifies," one to be on a "greatest" list. But a humble man from a small town in Oklahoma, born to a coal miner who literally grew up in a log cabin to become Speaker of the United States House of Representatives is more than just, "being elected to public office."

BTW, it's writerranger - not whiteranger. I'm sure it was accidental, but that implies a racial makeup to my username.

--------

Kerry
08-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Kerry. You make some good points. However, just to make it clear, I never said that, "being elected to public office automatically qualifies," one to be on a "greatest" list. But a humble man from a small town in Oklahoma, born to a coal miner who literally grew up in a log cabin to become Speaker of the United States House of Representatives is more than just, "being elected to public office."

BTW, it's writerranger - not whiteranger. I'm sure it was accidental, but that implies a racial makeup to my username.

--------
That was a typo on my part. I'll be sure to get it "write" in the future.

The story of Carl Albert is a good one and I'm not trying to say it isn't a great accomplishment. Maybe I'll extend my list to 10 and make him number 6.

jbrown84
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Carl Albert is a tricky one. I'm with Kerry on why he doesn't quite make the top 5, but he's definitely top 10 or 15. My great grandpa was law school buddies with him at OU.

mranderson
08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Carl Albert is a tricky one. I'm with Kerry on why he doesn't quite make the top 5, but he's definitely top 10 or 15. My great grandpa was law school buddies with him at OU.

Let me see. A man from Oklahoma becomes Speaker of the United States House of Representitives and could have been President of the United States if he wanted it, and you say he is NOT one of the top five Oklahomans of all time? Sounds like someone needs to take Oklahoma History.

Carl Albert (whom I knew since childhood and was one of a handfull that he invited to call him Carl) could have taken the office of President by lobbying agaist Gerald Ford. The Speaker chose not to pursue it as a gallant effort. One that anyone should be proud of. I doubt you would see that today.

Carl Albert IS one of the top five Oklahomans in history... Easily.

OKCMann
08-31-2006, 07:41 PM
What no Barry Switzer? LOL!

jbrown84
08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Let me see. A man from Oklahoma becomes Speaker of the United States House of Representitives and could have been President of the United States if he wanted it, and you say he is NOT one of the top five Oklahomans of all time? Sounds like someone needs to take Oklahoma History.

Carl Albert (whom I knew since childhood and was one of a handfull that he invited to call him Carl) could have taken the office of President by lobbying agaist Gerald Ford. The Speaker chose not to pursue it as a gallant effort. One that anyone should be proud of. I doubt you would see that today.

Carl Albert IS one of the top five Oklahomans in history... Easily.

Typical. I've had Oklahoma History, thank you.