View Full Version : "Survivor" Promoting Divisiveness?

Keith
08-26-2006, 01:32 PM
NYC officials want new 'Survivor' pulled

As CBS prepares to launch a new season of the hit reality show "Survivor," this time featuring teams divided by race, enraged city officials are saying it promotes divisiveness and are calling for the network to reconsider.

"The idea of having a battle of the races is preposterous," City Councilman John Liu said Thursday. "How could anybody be so desperate for ratings?"

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

In a statement, CBS Entertainment, which is part of New York-based CBS Corp., defended the ethnic twist, saying it follows the show's tradition of introducing new creative elements and casting structures that reflect cultural and social issues.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said. "'Survivor' is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."
Last season, the show divided contestants into groups of older men, younger men, older women and younger women.

The show's host, Jeff Probst, said the network was aware this season's race ploy might offend viewers.

"It's very risky because you're bringing up a topic that is a hot button," he told asap, The Associated Press service for younger readers. "There's a history of segregation you can't ignore. It is part of our history.

"For that, it's much safer to say, 'No, let's just stick with things the way they are. Let's don't be the network to rock the boat. Let's not have "Survivor" try something new,'" he said. "But the biases from home can't affect you. This is an equal opportunity game."

I guess if the contestants agree with the format of the show, then there should not be a problem. Survivor has always had some type of controversy associated with it.

Luke
08-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I think Survivor will stir up/offend racists. Other than that, I think it will be viewed in good spirit by the majority of viewers. When watching reality shows, I think most people select their "favorite" person/team by personality, character and strategy rather than physical attributes. I don't think that our country is so racially divided that this show will cause divisiveness in our culture. Now, if it was "Team Republican" vs. "Team Democrat" then maybe we would see riots in the streets. ;)

Easy180
08-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Just proves Survivor is in a slow death spiral...is trying anything to prolong the tired show

I had enough of the show after season 2

Midtowner
08-26-2006, 10:24 PM
I think it's a terrific concept. People will definitely watch.

I've never watched it. Don't plan to, but it'll continue to get good ratings with a no-fear attitude like this.

Sure it's in a death spiral, but every show is except for Days of our Lives.

Easy180
08-27-2006, 09:27 AM
what's next...teams of animals vs teams of humans :boxing2:

rxis
09-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I would actually rather see Republican VS Democrats
Liberal Vs Conservative
teeheehee

I just wonder what sort of spin the people in control of the show will put on it, like some of the other reality shows. I don't know much about Survivor, couldn't get myself to finish the first season and never looked back.

Karried
09-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I think a team of OKCTalk vs OKCTalk members would work well - but it might be too violent and graphic for primetime!

( tee, hee - ducking now!)

Lauri101
09-24-2006, 10:38 AM
OK, time for my guilty secret -

My name is Lauri and I'm a Survivor Addict.

(chorus in room - Hi Lauri)

So far, all the hype about divisiveness, racism, etc is unfounded. These folks are out to win a million bucks and their ethicity matters not one bit!

I've never missed one single episode of one season of Survivor and haven't seen any evidence that the way the teams are divided truly affects the outcome.

I don't like any of the other reality shows, so I can't tell you what it is about this one that appeals to me. I guess it's partly because of the premise that, when it comes to money, the people who go on this show will choose the money over civility, kindness or morals.

Kind of a slice of life?