View Full Version : Oklahoma State Quarter

Kerry
08-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Well the ten choices for the Oklahoma State Quarter are ready for viewing. Here is the link: http://www.gov.ok.gov/coin2.php

You can vote for your 5 favorite. The top vote getters will be sent to the US mint where they will make the final decision. Let me just how dissapointed I am with the designs. In fact, I am more than just disappointed - I am pissed off that the people on this so call committee didn't have more imagination for the designs.

These are coins that will be distributed throughout the world and held as colletor items for generations. Almost everyone of the designs has a prominant oil well in it. For crying out loud - the oil industry left oklahoma over 20 years ago! The biggest energy companies left in Oklahoma are natural gas companies. I remember as a child driving around the state and seeing lots of oil pumps. Today those are all gone. It's time to move on!

I would prefered a pictorial of the land run, the state capital, downtown skyline, mountains, Turner falls, aviation, biotechnology - anything other than a stupid oil well!

This is the most dissapointed I have been in a long time.

Nuclear_2525
08-26-2006, 08:43 AM
I would prefered a pictorial of the land run, the state capital, downtown skyline, mountains, Turner falls, aviation, biotechnology - anything other than a stupid oil well!

This is the most dissapointed I have been in a long time.

I agree that the oil well, as well as the Native American figures are overdone. The Land Run IMO would have been awesome.

However, I really REALLY like the very first design. The one with 46 stars and OK in the middle. Every other state's quarter is so busy all kinds of different crap on it. I really think that design would make our state stand out, as it does on the quarter.

Kerry
08-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Here is my letter to the Governor:

Mr. Governor,

Let me say how disappointed I am with the designs you have chosen for the Oklahoma State Quarter. The choices presented to the people of Oklahoma lack everything from vision to an accurate portrayal of reality.

Half of the designs have prominent oilwells displayed on it. The oil industry, as a mainstay of the Oklahoma economy, left over 20 years ago. Even if the people of Oklahoma wanted to continue the "oil" theme why waste half of the choices on it?

These coins will be distributed around the world and saved by collectors for generations. This was an opportunity to show the world that Oklahoma was more than oil wells and Indians - instead you have taken this opportunity to cement that image in the minds of people around the world.

I am a former Oklahoma now living in Florida and I work daily to improve the image of Oklahoma as modern, economically diverse, and in some respect cosmopolitan. It would be nice to know that the Governor of Oklahoma tried to do the same thing.

Criticism without suggestions for improvement is not constructive, so I am including what I think would be a better representation of Oklahoma:

1. Pictorial of the land run
2. The state capital building (or complex)
3. Downtown Oklahoma City skyline
4. Mountains landscape
5. Turner falls
6. Tribute to aviation
7. Tribute science and biotechnology

In my opinion, the choices presented above are a much better representation of Oklahoma's past, present, and future than those selected by you and the design committee.

Thank you for your time.

venture
08-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I've gone through all the designs...none really jump out. The flycatcher coins are well...boring. The one with the Pioneer woman just looks like a stereotypical immigrant image that we see in current times. I won't even bother the one with 46 stars...its just tacky.

Kerry
08-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Now that I am thinking of possible design choices - I get even more frustrated. A tribute the armed forces would have been a good choice. With Tinker AFB, Vance AFB, Altus AFB, Fort Sill, and the Oklahoma National Guard - a tribute to the men and women of Oklahoma that have served in the armed forces would have been a good choice. Not sure what the design would look like but a tribute would have been nice. It would also show to the rest of the country what an integral part Oklahoma plays in protecting our nation.

mranderson
08-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I voted for the ones with the Pioneer Woman, mainly. Why? It is really NOT a stereotype. Oklahoman's, for the most part, have always had a pioneering spirit.

If you have never seen the statue, I invite you to go to Ponca City and see it. It is at the corner of (either fourth or fourteenth) and Grand.

I was born in Ponca City and am quite proud that my birth town is honored in this way. As a native Poncan, I am also proud to repay the city for their gift to this state... Me.

John
08-26-2006, 12:21 PM
The pioneer woman statue is in WAY too many of the choices.

onemoreokie
08-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I like all the designs with oil wells. For those of you who think the oil business has left and abandoned our state why don't you research which industry generates the most revenue for the state. I'll give you a hint, it's not the call centers. You can thank the oil industry for many of the things posters on this site seem to enjoy, things like the hornets and some of the redevelopment around Bricktown. I realize the oil industry has fled for Houston over the last 20+ years but Oklahoma has a storied history in this industry and it should be recognized. I'd venture to say a large percentage of the high paying jobs in Oklahoma City and Tulsa have some connection to the industry. Oh and Kerry, I believe the oil derrick which is still used to drill wells today is representative of both oil and natural gas exploration as these resources are often found in the same well in varying quantities. It is rare to produce oil without associated gas and vice versa.

From the Oklahoma Tax Commission website.
"A petroleum excise tax of 0.095 of one percent of gross value of natural gas, casinghead gas, and oil produce is also levied to pay for administration of state conservation laws. It should be noted that gross production tax revenues on oil and gas constitute a substantial portion of Oklahoma’s tax revenues, relieving manufacturers and other lines of business and industry from a corresponding portion of the cost of government in Oklahoma."

Nixon7
08-26-2006, 12:51 PM
wow, those are our choices on how our state will be remembered for MANY years?

Luke
08-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Of those ten, I like the first one with the stars and the outline of Oklahoma.

Karried
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Apparently no one took our suggestions to heart:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/6495-state-quarter-design.html?highlight=state+quarter

I have to say that the first two are my Least favorites.. they say nothing about our state except to depict the shape ( everyone knows that anyway) and the stars signify our place in the union.. so what?

Almost every quarter I've seen shows something about the state. I love Nevada's. Wild horses, very nice.. I'm thankful we are not Georgia.. as much as I like peaches, I wouldn't want a quarter with a giant peach on it... which they have. Colorado is awesome.. Rocky Mountains... sigh..

Anyway, I picked #4 Favorite ( #5 and #10) Keep in mind, these are just rough drawings .. they will look better ( I hope and pray) when they are finalized..

Patrick
08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
You have to remember....there's not much space on the back of a quarter. Many of our ideas would've never worked. I personally don't have a problem with the designs.

I like #3 and #4. They show the oil well, unique state shape, and the Pioneer Woman, one of the least hickish symbols of our state.

Patrick
08-26-2006, 02:56 PM
By the way, here's the link to the drawings:

http://www.gov.ok.gov/coin2.php (http://www.gov.ok.gov/coin2.php)

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_01.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_02.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_03.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_04.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_05.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_06.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_07.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_08.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_09.jpg

http://www.gov.ok.gov/images/coin_10.jpg

Curt
08-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Not that it matters....but I picked number two...If I had any say in the matter I'd have the state seal on it along with the outline of the state..

Kerry
08-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I am not saying that oil is not important to the state, but it is more important than the land run. I don't think so. There are many states that produce more oil than Oklahoma but I don't see an oil rig on their quarter. When you ask anyone outside the state what comes to mind when they think of Oklahoma here are the three answers: Indians, oil, and dust bowl. Just once why can't the state promote something else?

I am not totaly upset that there is oil rig on the list - but why do half of the coins have them? Was this committee and the governer so out of ideas that all they could come up with is this selection. I would love to see the 990 that didn't make the cut.

Maybe the US Mint will user their veto power and come up with a different design.

Kerry
08-26-2006, 04:12 PM
See all the state quarters here. I think Patrick would be surprised how much detail you can get on a quarter.

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/

okrednk
08-26-2006, 04:15 PM
I chose:

I am not the biggest fan on the pioneer woman choice would have rather had a more native american theme to it. Oh well, guess I don't get paid to make those decisions. My favorite is either #4 or #6.

Kerry
08-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Number 4 stikes me as an odd selection for the governor to pick. Should we really be supporting smoking by putting a peace pipe on the quarter. What are in peace pipes anyhow? I always thought it some kind drug similar to pot.

I also counted 48 stars on quarter and 47 on the other quarter. That is more than there should be. Maybe the state quarter should have on the back 2+2=7. And the quarter could only be worth 23 cents. Or better yet - we could use Texas Sucks and put the upside longhorn hand sign on it.

Patrick
08-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Or better yet - we could use Texas Sucks and put the upside longhorn hand sign on it.

I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Luke
08-26-2006, 09:10 PM
A depiction of the land run would be cool. Maybe a cannon in the foreground with a schooner and people running.

davido
08-27-2006, 01:41 PM
I voted for #6, You would think, with all our indian history, that there would be a native theme to choose from, the land run would be nice also, there is such a diverse history in Oklahoma, from avation to oil etc, there is just so much to choose from. Who drew and came up with the design, it was probably some one that wasn't an oklahoman or knew much about the state. I'll make one myself and see what I can come up with, not that it will make any difference.

davido
08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I am no artist you can change or do anything to these.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2582/thorpequartercg3.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1820/thorpequarter2sh6.jpg

jbrown84
08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree a land run depiction would have been a MUCH better choice. If there is anything about our state history/heritage that is COMPLETELY unique to our state as well as symbolic, it's the Land Run. It's our Alamo. Other states had pioneers. Other states had oil (Texas???). Other states had native Americans. I don't know why they couldn't do just one design including the land run.

But from the choices we had, my favorite is the last one, which superimposes the oil derrick and the windmill on either side of the pioneer woman. It's the most aesthically pleasing. #5 would be my number two choice.

metro
08-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes, I agree. The governor and all the committee members involved in this project should be not only ashamed of these choices but flat out embarrassed. I believe they stated they had over 1200 to choose from. That's not saying much if these were the top 10 designs they came up with. Oklahomans deserve much better than these. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED CITIZEN HERE

traxx
08-28-2006, 02:40 PM
1200? And that's the best? What did they have 1100 oil wells and 100 Scissortail birds. The ones with the birds are not distinguishing at all. They could be anywhere and only Oklahomans are likely to know that it's the state bird. Land Run's a good idea. I'm sure dozens of other good ideas could have been thought of. Why do we always get stuck in the mindset of the same old oil stuff. Heck, even something with a cowboy theme would have been better, trite but better. This was a chance to show the new direction of Oklahoma for the next century, a truly great opportunity and they ruined it. Not to mention those pictures look like they were sketched on a bar napkin. C'mon Oklahoma, let's stop shooting ourselves in the foot and holding down our potential by locking ourselves into the same old thought patterns we've had for 50 years. Let's break out and show what we're really capable of.

metro
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
No kidding. Heck, I think the Jim Thorpe design above is a heck of a lot better than the top ten.

metro
08-30-2006, 05:06 PM
No kidding. Heck, I think the Jim Thorpe design above is a heck of a lot better than the top ten. I bet Dave Letterman would have come up with a better top ten list.

jbrown84
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Gov. Henry Announces Results of Online Vote for State Quarter Design; More than 267,000 Votes Tabulated
September 21, 2006

Oklahoma City -- Oklahomans have spoken as to their preferred designs for the state’s commemorative quarter. A statewide vote in which Gov. Henry allowed people to weigh in on proposed quarters ended Wednesday with more than 267,000 votes tabulated.

The five narratives earning the most votes will be submitted to the U.S. Mint, the federal agency that will unveil the commemorative quarter in early 2008.

“The response to the online voting has been truly overwhelming,” Gov. Henry said. “Oklahomans are a prideful people, and I think that sense of pride and spirit came out in the remarkable participation from voters all across the state. The state commemorative quarter is an opportunity to showcase this amazing land that reveres its history and looks to the future with boundless optimism.”

The five design proposals receiving the most votes include:

Finalist #3 - 34,819 votes
A tilted three-dimensional shape of the state of Oklahoma is in the middle of the coin. On the east side of the state is an old-fashioned gushing oil derrick representing prosperity and the enduring impact of the state's oil and gas industry. On the west side of the state is a rendering inspired by the Pioneer Woman. A celebrated statue in Ponca City, the Pioneer Woman honors the courage, tenacity and ingenuity of those who endured great hardships to build their dreams. Along the edges of the coin are shocks of wheat to represent the state's vibrant agriculture industry, a vital part of both our economy and heritage.

Finalist #4 – 29,375 votes
A three-dimensional shape of the state of Oklahoma is centered on the coin. The primary image, in the middle of the state, is a likeness of the Pioneer Woman, a celebrated statue in Ponca City that honors the courage, tenacity and ingenuity of those who weathered hardships to realize their dreams. Behind the Pioneer Woman and child is a traditional calumet that cuts across the state, essentially dissecting it. Also known as an American Indian “peace pipe,” the calumet is a ceremonial pipe used by many tribes; it symbolizes the tremendous influence of American Indian culture in Oklahoma, as well as the renowned friendliness and openness of Oklahomans.

Finalist #5 – 43,720 votes
This design celebrates the people and industries that have shaped Oklahoma. A small three-dimensional outline of Oklahoma occupies the top left of the coin. Rays radiate from behind the state outline to illuminate other objects pictured below and to the left: a gushing oil derrick to reflect Oklahoma's prosperity and oil and gas industry; an American Indian calumet, also known as a "peace pipe," to represent Oklahoma friendliness and the strong influence of Native American culture; a shock of wheat to symbolize the importance of agriculture in the state; and an image inspired by the Pioneer Woman, a celebrated Ponca City statue that honors the courage, tenacity and ingenuity of those who endured hardships to achieve their dreams.

Finalist #6 – 42,118 votes
The coin features a blanket of Oklahoma's state wildflower, Indian blanket, or Gaillardia, saluting the state's Native American heritage and native long grass prairies. Like the people of Oklahoma, the Indian blanket is hardy and resilient, thriving in a variety of conditions and blooming with fiery color throughout Oklahoma's sunny summers. This design boasts several Indian blanket blooms in the foreground, backed by a field of similar wildflowers. Above the field is the Oklahoma state bird, the scissortail flycatcher, in flight with tail feathers spread.

Finalist #10 – 39,659 votes
On the left-hand side of the coin is an old-fashioned windmill, balanced on the right by a gushing oil derrick. Taken together, these illustrations represent agriculture and oil and gas innovations, both of which greatly influenced development of Oklahoma. In the middle of the coin is an illustration of waving wheat along with a figure inspired by the Pioneer Woman, a Ponca City statue representing the courage, tenacity and ingenuity of the pioneers who endured hardships to realize their dreams.

The design selection process that was mapped out by Gov. Henry began early this year, when two committees reviewed nearly 1,000 design suggestions submitted by Oklahomans. The first panel chose the best aspects of those designs to craft 30 proposals, while the 15-member second panel then pared the list down to 10 finalists.

That’s when the Governor decided that Oklahomans should have the final word on the five design proposals that will be submitted to the U.S. Treasury Department. In the online voting, which began Aug. 25 and ended yesterday at 5 p.m., voters were asked to pick their five favorite proposals. More than 53,500 people are estimated to have participated in the voting.

Under Treasury Department guidelines, the candidate designs must be presented in the form of short narratives. The proposals will be vetted by several federal and state entities before the U.S. Mint presents the Governor with five final drafts. The Governor makes the final selection.

The final tally is as follows:

Finalist # Votes
1 11,694
2 24,244
3 34,819
4 29,375
5 43,720
6 42,118
7 19,603
8 12,415
9 9,896
10 39,659
Total: 267,541
Approx. Voters: 53,504

I'm glad to see my favorite, #10 on there. I pray that it's the one the mint chooses. I hate the others.

Kerry
09-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Given the choices - don't be surprised if the mint comes up with their own design.

jbrown84
09-21-2006, 11:37 PM
I wish they were allowed to.

PUGalicious
09-22-2006, 04:55 AM
I wish they were allowed to.
I agree. Those options are the best Oklahoma artists could come up with? How embarassing.

Kerry
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
The US Mint is allowed to come up with their own design. If they don't like what the state came up with they can make their own.

scotplum
09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
I like the idea of Jim Thorpe better than all the others as well. Would have been cool if they could fit Jim Thorpe, Will Rogers and Woody Guthrie all on the same quarter with the state outline in the background.

Watson410
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I kinda like that longhorn idea...

Spartan
09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
State's aren't supposed to come up with a design with the silhouette of an individual... Alabama broke the rules. But Helen Keller's outline was a lot more pleasing than the silhouette of a KKK mask so they relaxed the rules a little...

John
09-29-2006, 02:13 AM
There was a nice 'letter to the editor' in the 9/28 DOK.

Horrible choices, all around.

ETL
01-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Here's the new quarter I got in an e-mail! LOL!

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3379/okiecoinks5.jpg

jbrown84
01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I didn't realize we had such a reputation for meth labs. I noticed in the Gazette's article about what newspaper editors around the company thought about when thinking Oklahoma, several mention meth labs.

Martin
01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
must've been someone from texas who made that... 'cause last time i checked, our national motto was 'e pluribus unum' -M

Karried
01-20-2007, 06:46 AM
I can't believe this:

WASHINGTON — After evaluating five designs submitted by Oklahoma for its commemorative quarter, the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts (http://www.newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=U.S.+Commission+of+Fine+Arts&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) has recommended one with the state bird flying above wildflowers.

They still have more voting to come, but a bird over flowers??? That could be anywhere!

It says nothing about our state except to further perpetrate the image of prairie land!

roboticbrad
01-20-2007, 08:39 AM
I can't believe this:

WASHINGTON — After evaluating five designs submitted by Oklahoma for its commemorative quarter, the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts (http://www.newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=U.S.+Commission+of+Fine+Arts&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) has recommended one with the state bird flying above wildflowers.

They still have more voting to come, but a bird over flowers??? That could be anywhere!

It says nothing about our state except to further perpetrate the image of prairie land!

If that one becomes the State Quarter I will be very disappointed.

BG918
01-20-2007, 09:10 AM
#3 would be my pick.

okcpulse
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3379/okiecoinks5.jpg

I don't find that a damn bit amusing. At all. Seriously. For starters, meth labs are a nationwide problem. And F6's? Get real. One off the scale tornado in recorded history and all the sudden they are a common occurance?

Whoever did that art has way too damn much time on their hands. This person should get a life.

Kerry
01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Take out the trailer, cow, and meth lab language and I kind of like the design ETL posted.