View Full Version : Doug's Blog

writerranger
08-25-2006, 02:53 PM
One of my favorite topics on OKCTalk is Oklahoma City history and just plain old fun nostalgia - remembering the city "back when." Many of us know that Doug Loudenback has long kept some fascinating pictures and information on his website and that's always been an interesting destination. But, until you read his blog (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/)you have no idea what kind of cultural historian Doug truly is. No, that's not just a cute remark - Doug is chronicling Oklahoma City in a way that really has never been done before (at least to my knowledge). His blog is not just about the history many of us know (city born overnight, etc.).... but even more about the city too many don't know. It is a joy to read about the history of the Skirvin Hotel, the Skirvin family history (his post on Perle Mesta is a great piece of writing), and posts about the old Beverly's chain and.....I could go on and on.

Doug, keep it up! It's almost not fair to call what you are doing a "blog." It's so much more than what many think of when they hear that word. Your abilities in communicating the love you have for Oklahoma City - old and new - comes through in a way that shows how the Internet can sometimes give us a gem. Your "blog" is just that - a true gem.

-------------------

Doug Loudenback
08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Damn it, you've got me to the point of having a tear in my eye! A happy one. Nice to have, and thank you so much. It comes at a good time, having just returned from Tulsa from the funeral of a fine young friend, only 38, who apparently could not find a good reason to stay alive.

Thanks, writerranter, very much, again.

Karried
08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
ahhh Doug, so sorry to hear about your friend - that's a sad, sad situation.

You do great work on your blog... writerranger was great to take the time to comment on it.

Maybe a book is in the works? I look forward to reading it.

Lauri101
08-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Doug,

I am sorry to hear of your friend.

You've done an awesome job on your blog - I spent about an hour, following links.

Funny, the older I get, the more I am fascinated by history - great work and, like Karried, I'm ready for the book!

Pete
08-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, thanks Doug for doing such a great service for the community of OKC through your blog and website.

It's greatly appreciated!