View Full Version : Fat and happy or skinny and depressed

Patrick
08-25-2006, 01:03 PM
In my experience as a 3rd year medical student, on my psychiatry rotation I find it common that antidepressants cause weight gain. So, would you rather be happy and fat, or skinny and depressed?

Keith
08-25-2006, 01:55 PM
In my experience as a 3rd year medical student, on my psychiatry rotation I find it common that antidepressants cause weight gain. So, would you rather be happy and fat, or skinny and depressed?
I'd rather be happy and fat, although, I do still exercise to keep some of the weight off. I don't know anybody that would want to be skinny and depressed.

Midtowner
08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Neither. I'd just like to be healthy whatever that may be.

Curt
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I just want to be happy...I cant answer the question...I dont want to be fat nor depressed.

Faith
08-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with Mariner. I would just want to be happy. Being over weight can cause depression. So if some people are "fat & happy" there would be a possibility that it could turn to "fat & depressed" later on down the road.

Mean_Chic
09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I have been both but I have also been skinny and happy as well. Right now though I am getting to big and it is making me unhappy. Some might say that I am crazy to think I am too big but for me it is too big. I am looking at an excerise bike any suggestions? I already got one of those core balls and got a good deal half price at Sears.

peanut265
09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
some antidepressants cause more weight gain than others. Psychiatrists that are med savy will take that into consideration. Paxil causes more weight gain than some of the other ssri antidepressants. Wellbutrin has less weight gain and sexual dysfunction issues. So there are options. peanut265

Curt
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I have a friend that was on Paxil and it caused him to gain alot of weight...now the doctor put him on somehting else I cant think of. I havent noticed any weight gain from Zoloft maybe some other side effects but no weight gain.

artflower
11-10-2006, 08:59 AM
lol, what a question.
both is bad.

i´m skinny but not unhappy but i´m lucky why i NEVER make sports or excerise but i do not become fat, can eat what i want and drink lots of sodas also...

i think that some people are only fat why they are unhappy BEFORE they grain and eating the frustration.
and some skinny are frustrated why they have the seem problem like this some fat people BUT they stop eating and make a lot of excerise also.

both extremes are bad for methal and both have an psychologic start only that is more aczeptet being skinny than fat.

have an look to all that famos models wich use drugs and do not eat. they realy do not look good, but the TV industry try to tell us that they are beautifull... if you see only skin and bones...thats not beautifull, sorry