View Full Version : Age kids should start working?

Patrick
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
What age should kids start working at?

Midtowner
08-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Earlier than now. I'd say 13 or 14.

Work is a great way to get teenagers off the streets. It's also an excellent lesson for them to really learn what menial, minimum wage type jobs are like while they are still young.

beatlebutt81
08-24-2006, 10:16 PM

PUGalicious
08-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Depending on maturity and worth ethic, 8 to 10... that's when my daughters started working for my business...

:oops::oops:

Lauri101
08-25-2006, 04:54 AM
I think it depends on the definition of "working"

I started paying my girls for special assignments around the age of 10. Not for daily chores, but for extras such as garage cleaning or car washing.

By 12, both were baby-sitting during daytime hours. By 16, they had jobs at Burger King.

A good work ethic doesn't just happen, it has to be planted and nurtured. I see so many teens and young adults that don't have that work ethic because everything has been done for them or given to them.

I better quit - I'm starting to sound like an old fogie!:ohno:

bandnerd
08-25-2006, 06:03 AM
Younger than it is currently. A lot of kids babysit, or work for the family business...one kid I know even designs websites for money and he's only 13...so why can't they work for real? Not like 10 or anything, but some 13 year olds can certainly handle it.

Martin
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
if they're old enough to tie their shoes, then they're old enough to work in a factory and make mine.

seriously though, i don't think that the current model is so bad. at 16, a kid doesn't need his parents' permission to get a job. i think 14 with permission is acceptable. certainly, a child who does the occasional odd job should get by at a younger age. there are plenty of ways to instill a good work ethic without allowing kids to join the workforce proper.

i just don't want some 8-year-old taking my order at mc-d's... he'd probably steal the toy out of my happy meal. -M

Karried
08-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I feel the same.. I want to instill a work ethic especially since my 13 year old already has his eye on a Mustang! What!

DH and I are formulating a plan in which we will pay for half of it if he earns and saves a certain amount... but unless he gets paid a lot of money ( from who else but us?) we'll be paying the majority of it... that's still a way off but if he is driving in about 4 - 5 years, he will get a part time job to help pay for insurance plus he'll have to maintain a certain grade point average. ( I'm not letting him drive alone until late 17-18 ..I'm too scared he'll get into an accident).

I really don't want him to have to work full-time at this age ( after school and all weekends) . I want him to focus on grades, college prep and enjoy his youth a bit... in a few years, he'll be working non-stop for the next 50 + years. Life sucks and then you die and all that.

Keith
08-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I feel the same.. I want to instill a work ethic especially since my 13 year old already has his eye on a Mustang! What!

DH and I are formulating a plan in which we will pay for half of it if he earns and saves a certain amount... but unless he gets paid a lot of money ( from who else but us?) we'll be paying the majority of it... that's still a way off but if he is driving in about 4 - 5 years, he will get a part time job to help pay for insurance plus he'll have to maintain a certain grade point average. ( I'm not letting him drive alone until late 17-18 ..I'm too scared he'll get into an accident).

I really don't want him to have to work full-time at this age ( after school and all weekends) . I want him to focus on grades, college prep and enjoy his youth a bit... in a few years, he'll be working non-stop for the next 50 + years. Life sucks and then you die and all that.
I remember when I was younger, nobody would hire me until I was 16 years old....child labor laws.The week after I turned 16, I started my first job at a grocery store. My starting pay was $2.30. I've been working ever since.

I guess they don't really pay that much attention to child labor laws anymore, because I know places that hire teenagers at age 14. I don't have a problem with that, mainly because it teaches teenagers responsibility, and it's a start to a good work ethic.

My son started his real job at age 16, although, he did do odd jobs when he was 14 and 15. He had his first job for two years, and had excellent work ethic. Now, he is going to college....and I couldn't be more prouder of him.

My daughter is 13, and I know that she is ready for a job so that she can finally make her own money. I actually think she is going to start babysitting, or at least that is what she told me she was interested in.

Patrick
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow, Keith, you must be pretty old. My starting pay was $7.50 at Devon Energy, my first job.

Lauri101
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow, Keith, you must be pretty old. My starting pay was $7.50 at Devon Energy, my first job.

gee, thanks, Patrick, for making me feel REALLY old!

My starting wage, at Baskin-Robbins, age 15, was $.80 an hour. I remember how thrilled I was to go to Taco Bell a year later and make $2.25!:Smiley078

Keith
08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
gee, thanks, Patrick, for making me feel REALLY old!

My starting wage, at Baskin-Robbins, age 15, was $.80 an hour. I remember how thrilled I was to go to Taco Bell a year later and make $2.25!:Smiley078
I think they paid Patrick wayyyy too much money.

You made .80 an hour. that was a long time ago. Don't worry, though. You don't look a day over 25.:spin:

Midtowner
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I had a commission based job starting at age 16. Didn't do too well that first year, but at age 17, I earned $18,000 at that job. I have no idea what that came to as far as $/hour, but it was probably pretty good.

mranderson
08-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Turn 16, get a job. That teaches them job responsibility and also disipline.

Lauri101
08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
You made .80 an hour. that was a long time ago. Don't worry, though. You don't look a day over 25.:spin:

Awww...thanks, Keith, but I have underwear older than that!

My daughter's college roommate had never had a job. She also didn't know how to do laundry, at age 18, as her parents wanted her to have a "carefree" childhood.

Although the money for certain things, like a car or college, is an important part of teen jobs, I think the lessons learned last longer. As mranderson said, discipline and responsibility!

Karried
08-25-2006, 04:22 PM
She also didn't know how to do laundry, at age 18, as her parents wanted her to have a "carefree" childhood.

You can have a carefree childhood and still learn how to operate a washing machine.

Just because you don't have a 'job' outside the home while younger, it doesn't mean that you don't have household chores or responsibilities around the home.

My 13 year old helps cook, do dishes, vacuum and do laundry, mow the lawn, pull weeds, babysit, any household chores, wash the cars, take care of the dog, plus he is expected to get good grades.. he just doesn't get paid for it with a weekly paycheck.

My opinion is that my children need to contribute to the running of the household without being expected to get paid to help out. Most times, 9/10 it's their mess anyhow! But, of course, they also get a lot of perks for helping out, (like food. :spin: just kidding).

If my oldest wants to work part-time when he is 16 for extra money and it doesn't affect his grades then more power to him.. I'm just not going to force him to go to school all day and then work full-time the rest of the time.

I do want my children to have a 'carefree' childhood and I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but we also expect a lot from them as far as academics and helping out with chores around the home.

bandnerd
08-25-2006, 04:55 PM
I never had a job through high school. My mom told me my "job" was to be a student and to practice the piano. I did help around the house, though mom wouldn't let me mow (aww...so sad) but occasionally I would treat the parents to a meal, or I'd clean the bathrooms or whatever. I wasn't given an allowance, per se, but I did receive lunch money when it was necessary. $5 back then could get me two lunches at Sonic! (we had off-campus lunch)

My sister worked half days through her senior year at a law firm answering phones. She was a concurrent student so she only had to go a half day to school. She said she'd never do that kind of work again!

Basically, even if they lower/raise the age, it's up to the family to decide if their kids should work as teens. I personally would rather they just be students; but then again, that's what I was used to. For my "job" I got good grades and aquired scholarships that helped me get through school. For others, the life experience of having a job is more important.

Laundry be damned. I don't really even do it now!

Karried
08-25-2006, 05:35 PM
You didn't get to mow??? That' s cruel and unusual lol..

I forgot to mention that yes, the kids have to practice musical instruments too. I'm such a mean mom.

bandnerd
08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Nope, no mowing.

I actually was born with vision in only one eye, so my mom wanted to protect what I had by not putting it out there with projectiles and stuff since my issue isn't fixable. We never had a yard that warranted a riding mower...just the push kind...so no mowing for me. I've never mowed. Not ever. Haven't had a yard as an adult =D

Keep 'em practicing!

rxis
08-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I think work experience is good; however, being a dedicated student of academics, arts, etc. is the bigger issue to focus on during that time of life.

Mean_Chic
09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
As soon as they can reach the sink full of dishes. Other then that maybe a summer job or two while in highschool but I think they should focus on being a kid and finishing college before they get serious about some job!