View Full Version : Mick Cornett remains mayor

Patrick
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
In a way, I'm glad to see Mary Fallin win! That means Mick Cornett will remain our mayor, which means we have a grater chance of getting the permanent NBA team we want! Congrats to Mick for a great race, but I'm personally glad to see him remain here!

Midtowner
08-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm seriously considering voting Democrat in the CD5 election. No way should this glorified ribbon-cutter represent our state.

Especially with her vapid/nonexistent platform thus far.

mranderson
08-24-2006, 03:33 AM
I really think Mick will eventually make a good Congressman. However, I agree with Patrick. I would rather see him as Mayor.

I voted for Mary in the primary and will again in the general election. Plus, in four years, when she runs for Governor to succeed Brad Henry, I will vote for her then as well.

THAT is when I think Mick will go to Washington and be a great support on a national basis for Oklahoma City.

PUGalicious
08-24-2006, 04:10 AM
God help us if Mary Fallin is elected governor.

I was pro-Mick until this campaign for Congress. Although it's commonplace for politicians to do it, I think it's pretty lame to be re-elected to a post (by a wide margin), then turnaround and
run for a higher office so early in the new term of his current job. It's breaking a trust with the voters who elected him to be mayor. Perhaps that's one reason he didn't do so well in the runoff. It will be interesting to see what happens in future elections.

But he lost a lot of respect from me when he decided to run and from some of the things he said during the campaign. Oh well.

Pete
08-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I think it's pretty lame to be re-elected to a post (by a wide margin), then turnaround and
run for a higher office so early in the new term of his current job.

I agree completely.

It's not like Mick has been a long-standing public servant. He was elected to city council in 2001 and then mayor in 2004, and was just re-elected this year.

I didn't really follow this campaign but I certainly don't like that he hasn't spent more time being committed to his current job -- and civil service in general -- before trying to take another big leap for personal gain.

I think he's been a good mayor but he needs to concentrate on the job he already has.

metro
08-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm seriously considering voting Democrat in the CD5 election. No way should this glorified ribbon-cutter represent our state.

Especially with her vapid/nonexistent platform thus far.

Mid, this is something I can completely agree on you with.

As far as Mick goes, again, I support him as Mayor as he has been an excellent one until late. Unfortunately Fallin got the GOP nomination. At least now Mick can get back to actually working for the city. Bad move of confidence on his part. As far as needing Mick to land an NBA team now, its not necessary, there are enough people in place to make it happen now without him. The city has proven itself and the general public is more educated and aware of our abilities now. Bennett's group is in place and stronger than ever as well as our economy.

mranderson
08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Actually, for Mary, it is a smart move. She wants to be Governor. No questions about it. Brad Henry is VERY strong this time, and last time, Mary was not ready. Brad will win by a healthy margin, and can not run for a third term. So, that is Mary's chance. Quite possibly her ONLY chance.

No. It is not "lame." It is smart politics.